Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Ace Tracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 420
                     
Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga

just coming back from Key Biscayne after yet another heart-breaking loss by Guga (6-1, 3-6, 7-5 to Juan Monaco, from Argentina)... few things to note:

- Guga's movement is very poor, to say the least. He cannot recover his ground quickly if wrong footed and is extremely susceptible to drop shots and cannot chase lobs. Even short sprints seem to be beyond his physical abilities, and he resorts to quick paced large steps instead.

- Guga's strategy hasn't changed much even if the game has so, he still stands way behind the baseline to return weak second serves and dreads the net. Guga was never a net rusher in his career, but before 2002 he was an agressive baseliner who would take charge of the rally with hard hit groundstrokes usually inside the baseline. Guga tonight was very tentative, he was outhit by Monaco in most of the rallies and only relied on his larger experience to make it close.

- What are the real intentions of camp Guga? Guga himself has declared that he does not aim for the top spot anymore and seem rather satisfied in hovering with the top 20 ranking. The whole Brazilian Davis Cup debacle has drawn Guga and Lari Passos even closer together. It is evident that new blood is needed for a change, but Guga is seriously commited to Passos even to the detriment of some of his own relatives and staff, who had a clash earlier with Lari and were relegated to unimportant positions. Guga was seen practicing with Passos in Miami since Wednesday, never with a fellow player, and hitting balls with your coach is not the best way to prepare oneself for a Master Series.

Juan Monaco is another interesting young player, very solid groundstrokes from both sides, unimpressive serve, inexperient volleys but a heart of a true champion. The mostly Brazilian crowd put up an exciting festive display of fervor, pity Guga coundn't deliver it...
Ace Tracker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 06:02 AM
Disqualified For
Racquet Abuse
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 2,885
                     
Re: Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga

Sad to see if its his motivation thats wavering at moment, he seemed to be finding his form at end of last season, surely with roland garros coming up soon that will get him focused again even if hes not interested in rankings, let hope so anyway.
denim is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 06:31 AM
country flag Lee
Gugaholic
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under the blue sky
Posts: 84,779
                     
Re: Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Tracker
It is evident that new blood is needed for a change, but Guga is seriously commited to Passos even to the detriment of some of his own relatives and staff, who had a clash earlier with Lari and were relegated to unimportant positions.
Can you be more clear about the allegation of a clash between Larri and Guga's relatives and staff? Guga's mom and brother Rafael never directly involved with Guga's tennis. Rafael is still Guga's general administrator. He recently talked to reporter in Brazil about Guga's DC decision, representing Guga in the process. Rafael seldom travels with Guga now as he has a family with twin boys who are diagnosed with the same brain paralysis as their younger brother. And Guga's publicist Diana Gabanyi was seen in many Guga's match recently.

So, who are the relatives and staff you're talking about?
Lee is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Ace Tracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 420
                     
Re: Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Can you be more clear about the allegation of a clash between Larri and Guga's relatives and staff? Guga's mom and brother Rafael never directly involved with Guga's tennis. Rafael is still Guga's general administrator. He recently talked to reporter in Brazil about Guga's DC decision, representing Guga in the process. Rafael seldom travels with Guga now as he has a family with twin boys who are diagnosed with the same brain paralysis as their younger brother. And Guga's publicist Diana Gabanyi was seen in many Guga's match recently.

So, who are the relatives and staff you're talking about?
Lee, there was a report on the Brazilian website UOL Tennis about this supposed clash of interests between Passos and some of Guga's staff... I'll try to see if I can still find it...
Ace Tracker is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 07:41 AM
country flag Lee
Gugaholic
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under the blue sky
Posts: 84,779
                     
Re: Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Tracker
Lee, there was a report on the Brazilian website UOL Tennis about this supposed clash of interests between Passos and some of Guga's staff... I'll try to see if I can still find it...
If the report is recent, that is after the DC fiasco, I really doubt the accuracy of it. There are lots of BS flying around, put out by party(s) wanted to discredit Guga and Larri.
Lee is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 03:41 AM
Registered User
 
Dissident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Procrasti-Nation
Posts: 4,430
                     
Re: Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga

Thanks for the reports Ace. I had the match on tape, but I managed to record Faustão over it (you are from here, you should remember how bad it is, and how desperate I had to be to tape something like that over the match) so I would never touch that frigging tape again.

I agree with you in somethings. His movement sucks. He needs to stay down the court, hitting hard shots and making the opponent run. If something, ANYTHING, makes him need to change the strategy, he's screwed.
But I don't agree with the Larri deal, and you know my opinion from before. It would be nice to add one or two other specialists here and there, but Guga and Larri did a lot to conquer their right to chose what's best for them.
As for that article you mentioned, I guess I know which one it is. I dont like nor trust UOL. And I dont like or trust that article either. But maybe thats just me.

wooden jesus, can i be saved? i spent all my money on a future grave.. ill cut you in on 20% of my future sins..

TWENTY!
'97 ROLAND GARROS, '98 Stuttgart, '98 Mallorca, '99 MONTE CARLO, '99 ROMA, '00 Santiago, '00 HAMBURG, '00 ROLAND GARROS, '00 Indianapolis, '00 MASTERS CUP LISBOA, '01 Buenos Aires, '01 Acapulco, '01 MONTE CARLO, '01 ROLAND GARROS, '01 Stuttgart, '01 CINCINNATI, '02 Costa do Sauipe, '03 Auckland, '03 St. Petersburg, '04 Costa do Sauipe.
Dissident is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 03:45 AM
Registered User
 
Billabong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Age: 30
Posts: 18,737
                     
Re: Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga

Here I found an article about yesterday's match, in which Guga assures he'll continue to play (after what Meligeni said) and says he lacked rhythm yesterday... sorry for the translation, I used BabelFish (translated from portuguese)!

Guga admits that it lacked rhythm and it informs that still it tans to play
28/03/2004 to 19h42

Miami (U.S.A.) - Without playing a departure it has two weeks, since the Masters Series de Indian Wells, Gustavo Kuerten it felt the lack of rhythm of game ahead of the young Argentine revelation Juan Mônaco and was eliminated in battle of three sets, for 6/1, 3/6 and 7/5. "It was a hard game. I entered with little rhythm and the face left playing better the one than I. From as set the game was more normal, had my chances, break in third set, but the face obtained to play a little better. It comes gaining games hard, already he had looser three games and in this lack of rhythm I finished leaving in the first one twirled."

After the conquest of Brazil Open, where it arrived at bicampeoanto, and of vice in Viña del Sea, earning 9 of the 11 games that it disputed in the gross sand, Guga comes back its focus toward the européia season. It comes back toward house in the next days and initiates its preparation for the matches in the gross sand.

Despite the defeat, Guga looked for to keep the optimism for the next challenges. "It is bad to lose in the first round, but I find that to the long one of the departure I was playing each better time, growing and if had passed with certainty would play well better the next game. I had two slips in squares fast, that I find that it is normal, but I prepared myself to have a good year and have conditions to make a great season." The next commitment to Guga is the Masters Series de Monte Carlo, from day 19 of April. Later, it competes in Rome, Hamburg and in Roland Garros.

"Now I go to come back toward house, to start to train to the few and to prepare me well physically, because this season goes to be well hard. They are three Masters Series in one month and later, Roland Garros. It takes that the things come back to the normal one, that I continue ralando in I square them fast and I play well in the gross sand ", played Guga, if relating its season of the passed year, where played well in the hard floor, but did not make good campaign in the gross sand.

Although not to cite the interview of Meligeni to the periodical the Globe, where former-professional foresees that Guga would play for plus one two years only - interview whose Fininho text contradicted later -, number 1 of Brazil used to advantage to order a message to the twisted one. "I am tanning sufficient to play. Taste to compete and to train and always that I go pra squares short very. While it will have will to search challenges, to play the matches and of living important moments, as it was in the Sauípe, I go to be there. When it will not have plus this, goes there to be my moment to stop. But while it will have conditions to dispute of equal for equal with the best players, I go to follow fighting ", guarantees.

Guga Kuerten

Roger Federer & Novak Djokovic
Billabong is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 03:53 AM
Registered User
 
Dissident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Procrasti-Nation
Posts: 4,430
                     
Re: Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga

I read the original. Guga had the usual explanations (didn't have rhythm, we know the story..) and the title refers to an interview Meligeni had with a brazilian newspaper where he mentioned Guga would play for no more than a couple of years. Guga says he enjoys playing, and will do it as long as he feels good with it.

Fino said he didnt mean things that way, he did never intend to state when Guga should stop and so on. I believe him, btw. Interviewers have a way with twisting words. I imagine they were probably talking about the whole CBT thing and Meligeni said something like "And in two years, when Guga is retired, what will be of our tennis?". Something like that would be printed like this the day after: "Meligeni declares Guga should retire".

wooden jesus, can i be saved? i spent all my money on a future grave.. ill cut you in on 20% of my future sins..

TWENTY!
'97 ROLAND GARROS, '98 Stuttgart, '98 Mallorca, '99 MONTE CARLO, '99 ROMA, '00 Santiago, '00 HAMBURG, '00 ROLAND GARROS, '00 Indianapolis, '00 MASTERS CUP LISBOA, '01 Buenos Aires, '01 Acapulco, '01 MONTE CARLO, '01 ROLAND GARROS, '01 Stuttgart, '01 CINCINNATI, '02 Costa do Sauipe, '03 Auckland, '03 St. Petersburg, '04 Costa do Sauipe.
Dissident is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 03:56 AM
Registered User
 
Billabong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Age: 30
Posts: 18,737
                     
Re: Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissident
I read the original. Guga had the usual explanations (didn't have rhythm, we know the story..) and the title refers to an interview Meligeni had with a brazilian newspaper where he mentioned Guga would play for no more than a couple of years. Guga says he enjoys playing, and will do it as long as he feels good with it.

Fino said he didnt mean things that way, he did never intend to state when Guga should stop and so on. I believe him, btw. Interviewers have a way with twisting words. I imagine they were probably talking about the whole CBT thing and Meligeni said something like "And in two years, when Guga is retired, what will be of our tennis?". Something like that would be printed like this the day after: "Meligeni declares Guga should retire".
Thanks for the clarification Diss!
But Meligeni talked about Guga being injured all over his body since 2001, that he makes some movements to keep him from having pain to his hip, things like that... did you hear about it?? all the Guga fans were scared after that !

Guga Kuerten

Roger Federer & Novak Djokovic
Billabong is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 04:31 AM
Registered User
 
Dissident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Procrasti-Nation
Posts: 4,430
                     
Re: Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga

Yes, I heard and read it. I posted something in guga forum.

wooden jesus, can i be saved? i spent all my money on a future grave.. ill cut you in on 20% of my future sins..

TWENTY!
'97 ROLAND GARROS, '98 Stuttgart, '98 Mallorca, '99 MONTE CARLO, '99 ROMA, '00 Santiago, '00 HAMBURG, '00 ROLAND GARROS, '00 Indianapolis, '00 MASTERS CUP LISBOA, '01 Buenos Aires, '01 Acapulco, '01 MONTE CARLO, '01 ROLAND GARROS, '01 Stuttgart, '01 CINCINNATI, '02 Costa do Sauipe, '03 Auckland, '03 St. Petersburg, '04 Costa do Sauipe.
Dissident is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 04:51 AM
F***ing have it
 
alfonsojose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Barranquilla (COL)
Age: 41
Posts: 16,976
                     
Re: Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga

Guga (injuries) + Hewitt (lack of power) = Hingis (both) .. good-bye

"Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another" .. Madonna

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Petzschner, Simon, Qureshi, Steve Johnson
alfonsojose is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 04:56 AM
Registered User
 
Denise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brazil-soon australia
Posts: 3,934
                     
Unhappy Re: Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga

It's quite sad to know what's going on with Guga, latelly. First the whole mass with the brazilian federation of DC and then he last performaces. I don't believe the prob is only physicaly but mentally. For me he needs more self-confidence, potencial.... Who knows change the coach??? everything it's acceptable in this case. Also, I don't think age it's a huge prob here... okay, it's too tough to fight against all these young players but if he really wanna play at least 2,3 years he can do it very well...uhh

Meligeni said he didn't say anything about Guga's retired. Even if the newspaper reported Meligeni said he'll retire in 2005. Maybe it was other rumour but unfortunately this day it's too close IMHO Anyway, hope he'll play better in the clay season.

Miss you Marat Safin.
Denise is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Ace Tracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 420
                     
Re: Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissident
Thanks for the reports Ace. I had the match on tape, but I managed to record Faustão over it (you are from here, you should remember how bad it is, and how desperate I had to be to tape something like that over the match) so I would never touch that frigging tape again.

I agree with you in somethings. His movement sucks. He needs to stay down the court, hitting hard shots and making the opponent run. If something, ANYTHING, makes him need to change the strategy, he's screwed.
But I don't agree with the Larri deal, and you know my opinion from before. It would be nice to add one or two other specialists here and there, but Guga and Larri did a lot to conquer their right to chose what's best for them.
As for that article you mentioned, I guess I know which one it is. I dont like nor trust UOL. And I dont like or trust that article either. But maybe thats just me.
The thing that most pissed me off about Guga's Miami experience, Dissident, is that throughout the whole week, Guga seemingly practiced with Lari Passos exclusively ... I can only guess that Guga would not have any kind of trouble finding a fellow player to practice with, it's obvious that practicing only with your coach will not help if you are lacking match rhythm...
Ace Tracker is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 06:07 AM
psychotic banana
 
J. Corwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: jack in the box
Posts: 15,731
                     
Re: Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga

Guga should maybe try and force himself to stand closer to the baseline. It's so much harder to dictate play at all if one is to stand that far back.

Like father, like son

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 06:33 AM
Registered User
 
Denise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brazil-soon australia
Posts: 3,934
                     
Re: Today's game too fast for a post-surgery Guga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Tracker
The thing that most pissed me off about Guga's Miami experience, Dissident, is that throughout the whole week, Guga seemingly practiced with Lari Passos exclusively ... I can only guess that Guga would not have any kind of trouble finding a fellow player to practice with, it's obvious that practicing only with your coach will not help if you are lacking match rhythm...
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!! I dunno why he still playin' only with Larri, exclusively. Oki, I already see him practicin' with Juan Carlos... I don't remember who else but he needs the rhythm gods sake!! And not only this..... why not other trainer?? Some players to get that level he needs???

Miss you Marat Safin.
Denise is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome