Has Nadal lost it? - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 696
                     
Has Nadal lost it?

it just seems like Nadal lost his swagger after Feds beat him in the Wimby final, and ever since then he hasn't been quite as mentally tough. I can't put my finger on it but he just doesn't seem to be the same competitor that he was. It'll be interesting to see if Nadal can ever dominate on clay again the way he did in '05 and '06. My guess is no, because with that grinding style of play, once you lose that mental edge, it doesn't ever fully come back. Hewitt is Exhibit A for that.
vogus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Registered User
 
Snowwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: A place that's too cold.
Posts: 23,470
                     
Re: Has Nadal lost it?

Hewitt never got it back when he was back up to #2 or #3 right before Nadal took over #2?

Peter Polansky
Nestor - Chvojka - Pospisil - Raonic - Peliwo
Snowwy is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Registered User
 
guga2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,151
                     
Re: Has Nadal lost it?

yes, hes finished
guga2120 is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Not a Registered User
 
El Legenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: US of A
Posts: 30,181
                     
Re: Has Nadal lost it?

i would be suprised if he won 10 matches rest of the year.

El Legenda is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 207
                     
Re: Has Nadal lost it?

Nadal won't do a Coria and lose his clay aura.

I think Roger will finally get RG this year though.
yakuzaninja is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 696
                     
Re: Has Nadal lost it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
Hewitt never got it back when he was back up to #2 or #3 right before Nadal took over #2?

Hewitt was very good in '04 but missing something that he had in '00-'02. And i can tell you the exact match where Hewitt lost it - in the '02 USO semi against Agassi. Lleyton has never been quite the same player since that day.

of course i'm not saying Nadal is headed straight down the shitter. It's pretty obvious that he's going to be one of the best players for a few years to come. I'm just saying, during the first half of '06, including Wimby all the way to the final, Nadal was INVINCIBLE. He even had Feds back on his heels. And now, he looks - merely human. The way he folded mentally against Youzhniy at the USO blew my mind.
vogus is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:13 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 41,972
                     
Re: Has Nadal lost it?

he might as well retire now. Hes washed up at the old age of 20

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic
Obviously, you play a lot of mind games with yourself, but it is important to always believe that you can play your best, perform your best, and in the end, your convictions are stronger than your doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Johnny Groove is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Registered User
 
Metis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,480
                     
Re: Has Nadal lost it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogus View Post
it just seems like Nadal lost his swagger after Feds beat him in the Wimby final, and ever since then he hasn't been quite as mentally tough. I can't put my finger on it but he just doesn't seem to be the same competitor that he was. It'll be interesting to see if Nadal can ever dominate on clay again the way he did in '05 and '06. My guess is no, because with that grinding style of play, once you lose that mental edge, it doesn't ever fully come back. Hewitt is Exhibit A for that.
Nah, it's just his continuously growing fay_moo_sass that has done him in. All he needs is a butt reduction to avoid further injuries...
Metis is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:39 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 24,604
                     
Re: Has Nadal lost it?

Yeah he's on his way down despite reaching the QF for the first time in AO
Horatio Caine is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Banned!
 
Corey Feldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 95,412
                     
Re: Has Nadal lost it?

He's not lost it.... but his strut is gone now that fed has figured his game out.
he is still probably Fave to win the clay titles however.
but thats good, takes a bit of pressure of fed for once in the year
Corey Feldman is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Registered User
 
atheneglaukopis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,238
                     
Re: Has Nadal lost it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escude View Post
He's not lost it.... but his strut is gone now that fed has figured his game out.
he is still probably Fave to win the clay titles however.
but thats good, takes a bit of pressure of fed for once in the year
Yeah, they can play the "He's the favorite, no he's the favorite" game again going into the FO.

Fan of: Federer Safin Haas Nadal Santoro Agassi Tursunov's blog

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
atheneglaukopis is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 12:11 AM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 41,972
                     
Re: Has Nadal lost it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheneglaukopis View Post
Yeah, they can play the "He's the favorite, no he's the favorite" game again going into the FO.
or the "I wanna be on top, no, I wanna be on top" game the night before

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic
Obviously, you play a lot of mind games with yourself, but it is important to always believe that you can play your best, perform your best, and in the end, your convictions are stronger than your doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Johnny Groove is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Registered User
 
atheneglaukopis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,238
                     
Re: Has Nadal lost it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze-2004 View Post
or the "I wanna be on top, no, I wanna be on top" game the night before
It doesn't sound to me like they're arguing over who gets to be on top, more like on the bottom.

Fan of: Federer Safin Haas Nadal Santoro Agassi Tursunov's blog

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
atheneglaukopis is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Banned!
 
Corey Feldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 95,412
                     
Re: Has Nadal lost it?

or sideways
Corey Feldman is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 12:44 AM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 41,972
                     
Re: Has Nadal lost it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheneglaukopis View Post
It doesn't sound to me like they're arguing over who gets to be on top, more like on the bottom.
i dunno. I think that any action they get together is good, barring the imminent collapse of their relationship due to Roger's sluttish behavior.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic
Obviously, you play a lot of mind games with yourself, but it is important to always believe that you can play your best, perform your best, and in the end, your convictions are stronger than your doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Johnny Groove is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome