Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic? - MensTennisForums.com
 156Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KingRoger19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Age: 23
Posts: 286
                     
Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic?

I just read an interesting article about the greatest tennis seasons of all time.
Who had the greatest season ever: Federer in ?06 or Djokovic in ?15? | For The Win
The article picks the six best tennis seasons according to a player's winning percentage and then compares them. It eventually comes down to 2006 Federer and 2015 Djokovic. The author gives 2006 Federer the edge, because he had to face Nadal on clay and hence lost the RG final, while Djokovic faced a "less difficult" opponent (Stan Wawrinka) in the final, but lost.

A comparison of their seasons:

-2006 Federer
* 3 Grand Slams: Australian Open, Wimbledon, US Open (RU at RG)
* 4 M1000 titles (out of 7): IW, Miami, Toronto and Madrid. (RU in Rome & MC) + WTF
* 2 ATP 500 titles: Tokyo and Basel (RU in Dubai)
* 2 ATP 250 titles: Doha and Halle
*52 weeks at No.1

-2015 Djokovic:
*3 Grand Slams: Australian Open, Wimbledon, US Open (RU at RG)
*6 M1000 (out of 9): IW, Miami, MC, Rome, Shanghai and Paris (RU in Montreal and Cincy) +WTF
* 1 ATP 500: Beijing (RU in Dubai)
*52 weeks at No. 1

For me it's 2006 Federer, because he was more dominant in his GS victories and he played his best tennis that season (imo Novak played better tennis in 2011 than 2015.

Thoughts?

Edit: Can the mods at a poll, completely forgot that part?


Roger Federer 2017: The Return of the King

Australian Open- Indian Wells - Miami -Halle - Wimbledon
Shanghai



Last edited by KingRoger19; 10-12-2017 at 07:43 PM.
KingRoger19 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Registered User
 
nolevolent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7,682
                     
Re: Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic?

Obviously Nole.

Look at these pathetic draws

Federer's 2006 AO draw: Istomin/Mayer/Miryni/Haas/Davydenko/Kiefer/Baghdatis
Federer's 2006 FO draw: Hartfield/Falla/Massu/Berdych/Ancic/walkover after opponent retired after winning 1st set/Nadal
Federer's 2006 Wimby draw: 2006: Gasquet/Henman/Mahut/Berdych/Ancic/Bjorkman/Nadal
Federer's 2006 USO draw: Wang/Henman/Spadea/Gicquel/Blake/Davydenko/Roddick

Is it any wonder why Federer dominated? He had no competition. And not only that, the era was perfect for him: the tennis wasn't physical, there was way less baseline tennis and defense, and the players weren't as athletic or complete players, and everyone was hitting flatter instead of with topspin later on.

He got exposed by the modern game and way better competition, which is why he stopped winning afterwards.
nolevolent is offline  
post #3 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KingRoger19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Age: 23
Posts: 286
                     
Re: Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolevolent View Post
Obviously Nole.

Look at these pathetic draws

Federer's 2006 AO draw: Istomin/Mayer/Miryni/Haas/Davydenko/Kiefer/Baghdatis
Federer's 2006 FO draw: Hartfield/Falla/Massu/Berdych/Ancic/walkover after opponent retired after winning 1st set/Nadal
Federer's 2006 Wimby draw: 2006: Gasquet/Henman/Mahut/Berdych/Ancic/Bjorkman/Nadal
Federer's 2006 USO draw: Wang/Henman/Spadea/Gicquel/Blake/Davydenko/Roddick

Is it any wonder why Federer dominated? He had no competition. And not only that, the era was perfect for him: the tennis wasn't physical, there was way less baseline tennis and defense, and the players weren't as athletic or complete players, and everyone was hitting flatter instead of with topspin later on.

He got exposed by the modern game and way better competition, which is why he stopped winning afterwards.
Djokovic's draws weren't exactly nightmares either, but okay especially Roger's AO draw was weak in 2006 I give you that. Please explain how Roger managed to win 2 Grand Slams and 2 Masters this year if he's exposed by "modern tennis"?


Roger Federer 2017: The Return of the King

Australian Open- Indian Wells - Miami -Halle - Wimbledon
Shanghai



Last edited by KingRoger19; 10-12-2017 at 07:57 PM.
KingRoger19 is offline  
 
post #4 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 07:52 PM
Registered User
 
nolevolent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7,682
                     
Re: Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic?

Federer:

2006 Doha draw: Minar/Santoro/Baghdatis/Haas/Monfils Monfils was his Doha final opponent
2006 Dubai: lost to Nadal
2006 IW: Masuu/Rochus/Gasquet/Ljubicic/Scriphatan/Blake Blake was his IW final opponent
2006 Miami: Clement/Haas/Tursunov/Blake/Ferrer/Ljubicic Ljubicic was his Miami final opponent
Rome 2006: lost to Nadal
RG 2006: lost to Nadal
Canada 2006: Mathieu/Grosjean/Tursunov/Malisse/Gonzalez/Gasquet Gasquet was his Canada final opponent
Cincinnati 2006: lost to Murray
Tokyo 2006 draw: Troicki/Moodle/Suzuki/Becker/Henman Henman was his Tokyo final opponent
Madrid 2006 draw: Massu/Soderling/Ginepri/Nalbandian/Gonzalez Gonzalez was his Madrid final oppoennt
Basel 2006 draw: Zib/GGL/Ferrer/Schripathan/Gonzalez Gonzalez was his Basel final opponent
WTF 2006 draw: Blake was his final opponent
servicewinner likes this.
nolevolent is offline  
post #5 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 07:55 PM
The special one
 
cmchelsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Age: 31
Posts: 8,636
                     
Re: Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic?

Close but I would go with Djokovic. Not only did he win more Slams and Masters overall than Federer, he reached the final in 15 consecutive tournaments that year, including every slam and Masters he competed in.

cmchelsea is offline  
post #6 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 07:58 PM
The special one
 
cmchelsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Age: 31
Posts: 8,636
                     
Re: Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRoger19 View Post
I just read an interesting article about the greatest tennis seasons of all time.
Who had the greatest season ever: Federer in ?06 or Djokovic in ?15? | For The Win
The article picks the six best tennis seasons according to a player's winning percentage and then compares them. It eventually comes down to 2006 Federer and 2015 Djokovic. The author gives 2006 Federer the edge, because he had to face Nadal on clay and hence lost the RG final, while Djokovic faced a "less difficult" opponent (Stan Wawrinka) in the final, but lost.

A comparison of their seasons:

-2006 Federer
* 3 Grand Slams: Australian Open, Wimbledon, US Open (RU at RG)
* 4 M1000 titles (out of 7): IW, Miami, Toronto and Madrid. (RU in Rome & MC) + WTF
* 2 ATP 500 titles: Tokyo and Basel (RU in Dubai)
* 2 ATP 250 titles: Doha and Halle
*52 weeks at No.1

-2015 Djokovic:
*3 Grand Slams: Australian Open, Wimbledon, US Open (RU at RG)
*6 M1000 (out of 9): IW, Miami, MC, Rome, Shanghai and Paris (RU in Montreal and Cincy) +WTF
* 1 ATP 500: Beijing (RU in Dubai)
*52 weeks at No. 1

For me it's 2006 Federer, because he was more dominant in his GS victories and he played his best tennis that season (imo Novak played better tennis in 2011 than 2015.

Thoughts?

Edit: Can the mods at a poll, completely forgot that part?
If that's what you think, maybe you should've made this thread 2006 vs 2011 then, considering that's what you think both played at their best.

cmchelsea is offline  
post #7 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Registered User
 
Alaricus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,138
                     
Re: Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic?

https://ig.ft.com/sites/novak-djokov...s-season-ever/
Alaricus is offline  
post #8 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:04 PM
Registered User
 
nolevolent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7,682
                     
Re: Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic?

Nole wasn't better in 2011. The courts were just much much slower in 2011 than in 2015 and that allowed some of Nole's biggest strengths to be on full display.

Nole had far more time to play defense, to return serves, to hit his BH, forehand, etc. in 2011. The courts in 2015 were much much faster and the game was way more powerful. Nole had far less time to play defense, return, hit his bh, forehand, etc. But yet that still didn't stop him from having the best and greatest season in tennis history. Nole was a better and more complete player in 2015.
NovakSlam2016 likes this.
nolevolent is offline  
post #9 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KingRoger19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Age: 23
Posts: 286
                     
Re: Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmchelsea View Post
If that's what you think, maybe you should've made this thread 2006 vs 2011 then, considering that's what you think both played at their best.
I thought about that, but I have to agree with the article that states 2015 was Djokovic's best season. If you compare the stats of Novak's 2011 and 2015 seasons, you will find that 2015 was by far Novak's best season. For example he won more Masters & the WTF and reached the RG final in 2015.


Roger Federer 2017: The Return of the King

Australian Open- Indian Wells - Miami -Halle - Wimbledon
Shanghai


KingRoger19 is offline  
post #10 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:05 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 369
                     
Re: Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic?

In 2006, at Slams:

year-end #2: A-W-F-QF
year-end #3: QF-QF-1R-SF
year-end #4: 3R-3R-3R-QF

In 2015, at Slams:

year-end #2: F-SF-SF-4R
year-end #3: 3R-QF-F-F
year-end #4: SF-W-QF-SF

Yup, Djokovic is better.
Alaricus likes this.
svedberg is offline  
post #11 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:09 PM
The special one
 
cmchelsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Age: 31
Posts: 8,636
                     
Re: Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRoger19 View Post
I thought about that, but I have to agree with the article that states 2015 was Djokovic's best season. If you compare the stats of Novak's 2011 and 2015 seasons, you will find that 2015 was by far Novak's best season. For example he won more Masters & the WTF and reached the RG final in 2015.
Statistically 2015 was a better year for Novak I agree about that. 2011 was probably his best level though. The level of the tour overall was much higher in 2011 which makes Novak's dominance that year more impressive. Nadal and Federer were also playing at a high level in 2011, especially Nadal.

cmchelsea is offline  
post #12 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Registered User
 
nolevolent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7,682
                     
Re: Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmchelsea View Post
Statistically 2015 was a better year for Novak I agree about that. 2011 was probably his best level though. The level of the tour overall was much higher in 2011 which makes Novak's dominance that year more impressive. Nadal and Federer were also playing at a high level in 2011, especially Nadal.
Federer was far more dominant at Wimby and USO in 2015 than he was in 2011. Yes, he took Nole to 5 sets in 2011, but Nole completely dominated that match in terms of games and points won. It never should've went to 5 sets
nolevolent is offline  
post #13 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Registered User
 
VamosRafa123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 355
                     
Re: Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic?

Of curse Novak,in 2006 Fed havent faced realy challenge in the slames..
But for me 2011 Novak > 2015 Novak > 2006 Fed
VamosRafa123 is offline  
post #14 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 PM
The special one
 
cmchelsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Age: 31
Posts: 8,636
                     
Re: Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolevolent View Post
Federer was far more dominant at Wimby and USO in 2015 than he was in 2011. Yes, he took Nole to 5 sets in 2011, but Nole completely dominated that match in terms of games and points won. It never should've went to 5 sets
Federer still reached RG final and AO SF in 2011. His overall results in slams were more consistent in 2011 and both him and Nadal were playing at a high level. Nadal was Novak's main rival in 2011 and was playing at a much higher level than in 2015. The tour overall was stronger in 2011.

cmchelsea is offline  
post #15 of 196 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:29 PM
Registered User
 
nolevolent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7,682
                     
Re: Who had the better season: 2006 Federer or 2015 Djokovic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmchelsea View Post
Federer still reached RG final and AO SF in 2011. His overall results in slams were more consistent in 2011 and both him and Nadal were playing at a high level. Nadal was Novak's main rival in 2011 and was playing at a much higher level than in 2015. The tour overall was stronger in 2011.
FO 2011 had fast balls and apparently Federer had a bee sting in 2015 AO.

But okay, if we want to settle this debate, we need to go straight to the horse's mouth:

Federer in 2015: "I’m a better player now than when I was 10 years ago. I hit a bigger serve, my backhand is better, my forehand is still as good as it’s ever been, I volley better than I have in the past. I think I’ve had to adapt to a new generation of players again.”
nolevolent is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome