Cincinnati QF: [14] Isner def. [WC] Donaldson 7-6(4) 7-5 - MensTennisForums.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By -Dominator-
  • 1 Post By Haneul
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Celtic Warrior
 
Senua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Helheim
Posts: 18,499
                     
Cincinnati QF: [14] Isner def. [WC] Donaldson 7-6(4) 7-5

Donaldson gifted the match away with DF's and unforced errors in the most important points, but it's tough to blame him honestly. It must be very annoying to face someone which only game is based on servebot like there is no tomorrow, specially for young players, not used to this kind of "tennis" yet.

That 0-30 game Isner saved with 4 straight 500 kmh serves on the line was one of the most disgusting I ever saw.

Isner hot run of form during this US summer is kind of a fraud though, he reached this M1000 SF by beating the #47, #175, #87 and #60 of the world.

During his title in Newport he beat the #201, #203, #142 and #249. In Atlanta he beat the #68, #129, #22 (Muller) and #42.

Lost to Delpo (#31) in Montreal.

So, 870 points with only one top 40 win.



a.k.a.
Doktor Carpet -- The Fogmeister -- Ragnar Lothbrok -- Sicario



Do you wonder what I've been doing the last 3 months?

Senua is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:16 PM
Registered User
 
POTUS Haase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 712
                     
Re: Cincinnati QF: [14] Isner def. [WC] Donaldson 7-6(4) 7-5

Same scoreline as against Tiafoe
POTUS Haase is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:27 PM
Registered User
 
Haneul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Age: 24
Posts: 6,033
                     
Re: Cincinnati QF: [14] Isner def. [WC] Donaldson 7-6(4) 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senua View Post

Isner hot run of form during this US summer is kind of a fraud though, he reached this M1000 SF by beating the #47, #175, #87 and #60 of the world.

During his title in Newport he beat the #201, #203, #142 and #249. In Atlanta he beat the #68, #129, #22 (Muller) and #42.

Lost to Delpo (#31) in Montreal.

So, 870 points with only one top 40 win.
Dimitrov's AO run: #231 #105 #18 #117 #11 for a slam semifinal nonetheless.

Queens run: #41 #87 #60

Wimbledon: #37 #65 #90

RG: #114 #274

Sofia Open: #267 #37 #87 #11

Not much harder for a total of 1390 points.

This life, which had been the tomb of his virtue and of his honour, is but a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Last edited by Haneul; 08-18-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Haneul is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Celtic Warrior
 
Senua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Helheim
Posts: 18,499
                     
Re: Cincinnati QF: [14] Isner def. [WC] Donaldson 7-6(4) 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haneul View Post
Dimitrov's AO run: #231 #105 #18 #117 #11 for a slam semifinal nonetheless.

Queens run: #41 #87 #60

Wimbledon: #37 #65 #90

RG: #114 #274

Sofia Open: #267 #37 #87 #11

Not much harder for a total of 1390 points
True, Dimitrov mostly is getting easy draws this year too, but usually he takes advantage in like 50% of these draws. Isner usually takes advatage of pretty much every easy path he gets. I believe his only bad loss this season since the grass season was the one to Sela.

I just mentioned Isner's opponents, because his current run actually is no match for his 2013's run, when he beat Djokovic, Del Potro and only lost to a pretty good Nadal 7-6 7-6 in the F.

And of course, John has a good chance of reaching the F again. Didn't check the odds yet, but I'd say pretty close to 50-50 match.



a.k.a.
Doktor Carpet -- The Fogmeister -- Ragnar Lothbrok -- Sicario



Do you wonder what I've been doing the last 3 months?

Senua is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:34 PM
Registered User
 
Flobeeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 757
                     
Re: Cincinnati QF: [14] Isner def. [WC] Donaldson 7-6(4) 7-5

Well, Isner took advantage of the situation. He is quite consistent and knows how to play
with his abilities. You cannot blame John for the rather easy draws. But he made a lot
out of it and he deliveres when he needs it.

Hummel Hummel

Alexander Zverev supporter since 2014


CMS TMH ALZ PHK MSZ RDM DNA
Flobeeee is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:42 PM
Registered User
 
Haneul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Age: 24
Posts: 6,033
                     
Re: Cincinnati QF: [14] Isner def. [WC] Donaldson 7-6(4) 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senua View Post
True, Dimitrov mostly is getting easy draws this year too, but usually he takes advantage in like 50% of these draws. Isner usually takes advatage of pretty much every easy path he gets. I believe his only bad loss this season since the grass season was the one to Sela.

I just mentioned Isner's opponents, because his current run actually is no match for his 2013's run, when he beat Djokovic, Del Potro and only lost to a pretty good Nadal 7-6 7-6 in the F.

And of course, John has a good chance of reaching the F again. Didn't check the odds yet, but I'd say pretty close to 50-50 match.
Isner was shambles in the first half of the year and was mostly losing to mugs just as much as against good players. Still his run in Rome was very impressive.

His form may not be close to anything he displayed in 2013 but he is easily twice as better as in the first half of the season where he lost winnable matches against the likes of Escobedo, Young, Zverev and Johnson.

This life, which had been the tomb of his virtue and of his honour, is but a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Haneul is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:42 PM
Registered User
 
-Dominator-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,448
                     
Re: Cincinnati QF: [14] Isner def. [WC] Donaldson 7-6(4) 7-5

Big John steamrolling another opponent with his talented servemaking to celebrate his tennis into the next round.
Budadiii likes this.
-Dominator- is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Celtic Warrior
 
Senua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Helheim
Posts: 18,499
                     
Re: Cincinnati QF: [14] Isner def. [WC] Donaldson 7-6(4) 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haneul View Post
Isner was shambles in the first half of the year and was mostly losing to mugs just as much as against good players. Still his run in Rome was very impressive.

His form may not be close to anything he displayed in 2013 but he is easily twice as better as in the first half of the season where he lost winnable matches against the likes of Escobedo, Young, Zverev and Johnson.
You mean Sascha Zverev? Well, I expect him to beat Isner 9 out of 10 times. Pretty much like Berdych and Cilic, his huge wingspan makes things a lot easier.

Johnson is also kinda tough opponent for Isner, since he manages to cheap a lot of returns in. I believe the H2H is pretty even and they played a lot already.



a.k.a.
Doktor Carpet -- The Fogmeister -- Ragnar Lothbrok -- Sicario



Do you wonder what I've been doing the last 3 months?

Senua is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:55 PM
Registered User
 
Haneul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Age: 24
Posts: 6,033
                     
Re: Cincinnati QF: [14] Isner def. [WC] Donaldson 7-6(4) 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senua View Post
You mean Sascha Zverev? Well, I expect him to beat Isner 9 out of 10 times. Pretty much like Berdych and Cilic, his huge wingspan makes things a lot easier.

Johnson is also kinda tough opponent for Isner, since he manages to cheap a lot of returns in. I believe the H2H is pretty even and they played a lot already.
His brother at AO.

This life, which had been the tomb of his virtue and of his honour, is but a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Haneul is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Celtic Warrior
 
Senua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Helheim
Posts: 18,499
                     
Re: Cincinnati QF: [14] Isner def. [WC] Donaldson 7-6(4) 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haneul View Post
His brother at AO.
Not sure it was a bad loss either, Mischa beat Murray later and reached QF.



a.k.a.
Doktor Carpet -- The Fogmeister -- Ragnar Lothbrok -- Sicario



Do you wonder what I've been doing the last 3 months?

Senua is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:02 AM
Registered User
 
Haneul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Age: 24
Posts: 6,033
                     
Re: Cincinnati QF: [14] Isner def. [WC] Donaldson 7-6(4) 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senua View Post
Not sure it was a bad loss either, Mischa beat Murray later and reached QF.
2-0 at sets, ton of BPs, leading 4-2 in the 4th. Exactly the type of win Mischa needed to grow in confidence for the following rounds.
DinnerWarrior likes this.

This life, which had been the tomb of his virtue and of his honour, is but a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Haneul is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:53 AM
Registered User
 
Long Bunruot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,331
                     
Re: Cincinnati QF: [14] Isner def. [WC] Donaldson 7-6(4) 7-5

2dfs in tb and another one at 5;5 in the second set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
...is literally mentally ill and only spouts inane conspiracy theories.
Code:
My account has been inactive whilst i travelled the world on business and pleasure, but my passion for tennis or Rafa has never waned
Long Bunruot is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:14 AM
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS
 
Mae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On The Dark Side
Posts: 57,254
                     
Re: Cincinnati QF: [14] Isner def. [WC] Donaldson 7-6(4) 7-5

Donaldson doesn't have Isner's experience, but he does seem to be improving as a player.

I have a, shall we say, morbid personality.
― Novala Takem Missin' (Novel)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3-5YC_oHjE
Mae is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome