Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 1,451
                     
Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers

I think it's a shame that the one-handed backhand is getting more and more rare on the tour. It's much harder to learn properly than a two-hander, obviously, but the upside is definitely worth it. The one-hander offers longer lever, which not only results in longer reach, but also in more potential power (simply physics here - I hope this is obvious). Also, the muscles responsible for accelerating a one-hander are stronger than those responsible for accelerating a two-hander resulting in more potential power yet again. Also, the one-hander allows for greater freedom of movement, allowing for greater variation in spins. The downside, obviously, is that the one-hander is less stable than the two-hander, but this goes for one-handed and two-handed forehands too, yet two-handed forehands are virtually non-existent, because giving up some stability for a stroke with greater potential definitely is worth it. I don't know what I'm trying to say, really. Just hoping to clear a few things up to people who think that the two-hander is the stroke with the higher potential as well as moan about the present state of the tour a little.
KaxMisha is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 637
                     
Re: Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers

almost everything you said is completely wrong. The only thing that's better with a one-handed backhand is spinning the ball in various ways. You gain power, accuracy, stability, and consistency with the two-hand. If you have excellent reflexes(connors, federer) your opponents serve actually becomes your weapon.
Ernham is offline  
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernham View Post
almost everything you said is completely wrong. The only thing that's better with a one-handed backhand is spinning the ball in various ways. You gain power, accuracy, stability, and consistency with the two-hand. If you have excellent reflexes(connors, federer) your opponents serve actually becomes your weapon.
Hmmm.... Of course! And what you say is supported by physics and body mechanics, I take it? No? Then why exactly am I listening to you?
KaxMisha is online now  
post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 28
Posts: 23,671
                     
Re: Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers

I've been playing tennis for 7 years now, and been using a single handed backhand all the time. To hit a good single handed backhand you need a very strong wrist. I find that for me it is much easier to generate power on single hander than it is with a double. With a single hander you can swing much more freely. The single hander has better reach, and it is harder to cramp a player with a single handed backhand. Also, you'll find that most players with a single handed backhand have a fairly good slice, whereas players with double handed backhans only ever use it defensively where it lacks any bite on the court. My friend who has double handed backhand says it is very hard to hit off backhands too. With a single hander its quite easy to change directions. To be honest, the inital reason I chose a one hander was for the vanity factor. I loved watching Kuerten's and Haas' backhand.

The downside is that consistency suffers compared to the double hander. Frames occur much more often. Even after all these years my backhand is not as consistent as I like it to be. I've played so many club players who have rather average double handed backhands but they never seem to miss. High bouncing balls on the single hander are also very tough. You really have to make a big effort to get over the ball and get your racquet head through quickly, and this makes it a very risky shot.

I think the main reason that more people use the double hander is because it is easier to learn. It took me a long time before I could even fathom the thought of hitting a single handed topspin backhand. I started off slicing exclusively in the first few months. Most people play with the forehand as their strength so they settle with a solid backhand to backup their forehand. This is also because the forehand is a more natural shot at the very beginning, so it is often seen as a strength.

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo

Last edited by leng jai; 11-01-2006 at 12:49 AM.
leng jai is offline  
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
I've been playing tennis for 7 years now, and been using a single handed backhand all the time. To hit a good single handed backhand you need a very strong wrist. I find that for me it is much easier to generate power on single hander than it is with a double. With a single hander you can swing much more freely. The single hander has better reach, and it is harder to cramp a player with a single handed backhand. Also, you'll find that most players with a single handed backhand have a fairly good slice, whereas players with double handed backhans only ever use it defensively where it lacks any bite on the court. My friend who has double handed backhand says it is very hard to hit off backhands too. With a single hander its quite easy to change directions. To be honest, the inital reason I chose a one hander was for the vanity factor. I loved watching Kuerten's and Haas' backhand.

The downside is that consistency suffers compared to the double hander. Frames occur much more often. Even after all these years my backhand is not as consistent as I like it to be. I've played so many club players who have rather average double handed backhands but they never seem to miss. High bouncing balls on the single hander are also very tough. You really have to make a big effort to get over the ball and get your racquet head through quickly, and this makes it a very risky shot.

I think the main reason that more people use the double hander is because it is easier to learn. It took more a long time before I could even fathom the though of hitting a single handed topspin backhand. I started off slicing exclusively in the first few months. Most people play with the forehand as their strength so they settle with a solid backhand to backup their forehand. This is also because the forehand is a more natural shot at the very beginning, so it is often seen as a strength.
Amen to everything. That's absolutely correct. Great post.
KaxMisha is online now  
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Registered User
 
ezekiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Age: 36
Posts: 4,023
                     
Re: Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers

I always thought that one hander was a defensive shot thus it requires no positioning while a two hander is obviously offensive and requires good movement to position
ezekiel is offline  
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel View Post
I always thought that one hander was a defensive shot thus it requires no positioning while a two hander is obviously offensive and requires good movement to position
Hahahahaha! Are you serious? Why on earth would you think that?
KaxMisha is online now  
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 01:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 637
                     
Re: Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel View Post
I always thought that one hander was a defensive shot thus it requires no positioning while a two hander is obviously offensive and requires good movement to position
I don't think the one handed is good for anything unless you want to be like Santoro, where you whole game revolves around slices and spins. When i wa splaying competitively at college I loved to see people using a one handed backhand because it was so easy to exploit by making most of the shots high bouncing and on their backhand side. They will shank shots all day.
Ernham is offline  
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 28
Posts: 23,671
                     
Re: Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers

Footwork and position is very important or a single handed backhand. It is extremely difficult to hit offensive topspin backhands with a single hander when you're out of position. Thats why more often than not single handers will go to the slice, whereas double handers will still continue with topspin. I remember ferrero (in his prime) doing those topspin backhands when he was out of position. You would NEVER be able to do those on a single hander.

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline  
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernham View Post
I don't think the one handed is good for anything unless you want to be like Santoro, where you whole game revolves around slices and spins. When i wa splaying competitively at college I loved to see people using a one handed backhand because it was so easy to exploit by making most of the shots high bouncing and on their backhand side. They will shank shots all day.
Yeah, I'm sure you beat Kuerten and Gaudio every day by having a superios backhand. Who with a two-hander ever did, by the way? And who had a backhand comparable to Lendl in his era? Huh? Why so quiet when these points come up? Physics, body mechanics and empirical evidence are all against you.
KaxMisha is online now  
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Footwork and position is very important or a single handed backhand. It is extremely difficult to hit offensive topspin backhands with a single hander when you're out of position. Thats why more often than not single handers will go to the slice, whereas double handers will still continue with topspin. I remember ferrero (in his prime) doing those topspin backhands when he was out of position. You would NEVER be able to do those on a single hander.
That's true. It's harder to master and demands more of the player, but it has higher potential. Kuerten hardly ever sliced, while using a one-hander.
KaxMisha is online now  
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 01:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 637
                     
Re: Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaxMisha View Post
Yeah, I'm sure you beat Kuerten and Gaudio every day by having a superios backhand. Who with a two-hander ever did, by the way? And who had a backhand comparable to Lendl in his era? Huh? Why so quiet when these points come up? Physics, body mechanics and empirical evidence are all against you.
Lendl did not have a powerful backhand. He was just very smart in his usage of it. Lendl was a genius with limited tennis talent and incredible determination. you really want to compare with Borg, Agassi, and Connors?
Ernham is offline  
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 01:23 AM
Registered User
 
ezekiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Age: 36
Posts: 4,023
                     
Re: Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaxMisha View Post
Hahahahaha! Are you serious? Why on earth would you think that?
let's see, one hander has a bigger reach and it can be hit on the run , usually in a defensive position, plus the slice and spins are usually one handers and defensive in nature

Two handers give more power obviously and precision but it's harder to slice and spin with it. The problem with two handers is positioning, it has to be perfect and a player has to be a great mover to position himself and put enough control and power on it, only athletic movers can pull it off effectivelly
ezekiel is offline  
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 01:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 637
                     
Re: Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel View Post
l

The problem with two handers is positioning, it has to be perfect and a player has to be a great mover to position himself and put enough control and power on it, only athletic movers can pull it off effectivelly
Wrong. Two handers have a huge "strike zone" for hitting the ball cleanly across without a shank. One handers have a very small "strike zone" and have to constantly slice in todays game where the ball moves so fast you cannot put the footwork in completely.
Ernham is offline  
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 01:33 AM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Backhands: one-handers versus two-handers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaxMisha View Post
Yeah, I'm sure you beat Kuerten and Gaudio every day by having a superios backhand. Who with a two-hander ever did, by the way? And who had a backhand comparable to Lendl in his era? Huh? Why so quiet when these points come up? Physics, body mechanics and empirical evidence are all against you.
Don't argue with that guy. He's showing total ignorance on the subject. He probably never watched Kuerten playing, or Gaudio, for that matter.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome