Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player? - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 1,451
                     
Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player?

No stupid poll here. I want arguments people, so please, no "yes" or "no" answers. Try to back what you say up with facts. As I'm starting this thread, I'll go first.

There's absolutely no doubt that Rafael Nadal is a one-dimensional tennis player. This doesn't mean he isn't very, very good (he is) or that he isn't a worthy world number 2 (he is). What it does mean, however, is that Rafael Nadal only truly masters one aspect of the game, which obviously is baseline grinding with huge topspin shots, primarily intended for making it hard for the opponents to hit winners and to force them to miss. Hence, if the opponents make too many errors, they will lose. If they hit enough winners (easier said than done, no doubt), they will win. The point is that if Nadal cannot win matches with this style, he loses, because he isn't sufficiently good at anything else in order for it to win him matches (just look at the fourth set between him and Youzhny in the US Open when he became frustrated and started going for early winners - didn't go very well, now did it?). It's as simple as that. If you agree and have anything to add, please do. If you disagree, make sure to have an argument and use logics instead of blind fanboyism.

Last edited by KaxMisha; 01-03-2007 at 12:55 AM.
KaxMisha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 03:57 AM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player?

Yeah.
Another fact is that he relies heavily on his physique. Whenever he can't generate the immense power to keep his topspin shots really deep, he becomes an easy prey to offensive players. That's what's been happening since Wimbledon.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 03:59 AM
Registered User
 
World Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,922
                     
Re: Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player?

yes. he is right now.

does he have the tools to become a multi-d player, i believe so...

he hits a decent volley when he gets to net, and is willingness to improve is admirable.

its going to be difficult for him because as federer said, "he might have to totally change up his game to become the best on hardcourts/indoors"
World Beater is offline  
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater View Post
yes. he is right now.

does he have the tools to become a multi-d player, i believe so...

he hits a decent volley when he gets to net, and is willingness to improve is admirable.
Very true.
KaxMisha is offline  
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player?

Hey Lafuria, where are you? What's that? You don't have anything to back your "Nadal isn't one-dimensional" nonsense up? Okay, I get it. Never mind then.
KaxMisha is offline  
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:14 AM
Registered User
 
mandoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 56
Posts: 10,453
                     
Re: Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player?

I agree with what have been said and would add mental toughness. He is definitely, "frustratingly" to his opponents, one of the toughest mentally. He can turn the score, of course not always but on numerous occasions, with his high spirits alone.

Roger:
Rafa:
Roddick ~ Baggy ~ Blake ~ Chucho ~ Coria ~ Dima ~ Gask ~ Gaston ~ Guga ~ Haas ~ Juanqui ~ Marat ~ Delpy ~ Tsonga ~ Murray ~ Moya:
Most ATP players:

~ Passenger on the Federer Express #111 ~ Resident of Denaon's Den of Misfits ~
~ Member of Mohamed Lahyani Appreciation Society ~

"Most of the greatest evils that man has inflicted upon man have come through people feeling quite certain about something which, in fact, was false." ~ Bertrand Russell
mandoura is offline  
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoura View Post
I agree with what have been said and would add mental toughness. He is definitely, "frustratingly" to his opponents, one of the toughest mentally. He can turn the score, of course not always but on numerous occasions, with his high spirits alone.
That is also very true. As I think we all know, he is a great player, but still, he's one-dimensional.
KaxMisha is offline  
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:23 AM
Registered User
 
mandoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 56
Posts: 10,453
                     
Re: Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaxMisha View Post
That is also very true. As I think we all know, he is a great player, but still, he's one-dimensional.
Yeah, I think so too, that's why I said I agree with what was posted. And as you previously stated in your opening post, this does not take away from him as a great player.

I was going to edit my previous post when I saw your reply. I know that maybe some might not include the mental aspect of a player's game when discussing his/her technical game. However, I believe it should be included as it is becoming more and more crucial in winning matches.

Roger:
Rafa:
Roddick ~ Baggy ~ Blake ~ Chucho ~ Coria ~ Dima ~ Gask ~ Gaston ~ Guga ~ Haas ~ Juanqui ~ Marat ~ Delpy ~ Tsonga ~ Murray ~ Moya:
Most ATP players:

~ Passenger on the Federer Express #111 ~ Resident of Denaon's Den of Misfits ~
~ Member of Mohamed Lahyani Appreciation Society ~

"Most of the greatest evils that man has inflicted upon man have come through people feeling quite certain about something which, in fact, was false." ~ Bertrand Russell
mandoura is offline  
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:44 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Age: 29
Posts: 98
                     
Re: Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player?

I think this thred is ridiculous . How many times has this been spoken about?
Yes maybe Rafa is one dimensional, but how many times has he beaten federer already this year? we all know that and have seen it. Sorry to be harsh, but I think federer's only alibi to his losses against nadal have been that he is one dimensional. Nadal maybe just that, but since federer is so great dont you think it is quite embarassing that his looses to someone he regards as low and one dimensional?
I think nadal has something that bothers roger, and roger only comforts himself by continiously saying nadal is one dimesional.
I am sick of this, if roger cant beat the one dimensional kid, how is he beating multi dimensional players? (nalbandian,haas, safin)
I guess tennis is more of a phsycological game after all.

Have fun in retirement Marat- you will be missed
GO MARCOS BAGHDATIS
Good Luck to RAFA and Dima Tursunov NALBANDIAN and to A - ROD
Safin_Lova is offline  
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safin_Lova View Post
I think this thred is ridiculous . How many times has this been spoken about?
Yes maybe Rafa is one dimensional, but how many times has he beaten federer already this year? we all know that and have seen it. Sorry to be harsh, but I think federer's only alibi to his losses against nadal have been that he is one dimensional. Nadal maybe just that, but since federer is so great dont you think it is quite embarassing that his looses to someone he regards as low and one dimensional?
I think nadal has something that bothers roger, and roger only comforts himself by continiously saying nadal is one dimesional.
I am sick of this, if roger cant beat the one dimensional kid, how is he beating multi dimensional players? (nalbandian,haas, safin)
I guess tennis is more of a phsycological game after all.
It's not ridiculous. This needs a thread of its own for two reasons, namely that I want to hear the arguments of those who say that he isn't one-dimensional and the fact that this always comes up in other threads as an off-topic spin-off.

As for what you write about Nadal beating Federer: so what? It's completely irrelevant. No one is saying that Nadal isn't a very good player (at least I'm not). That's not what this is about, nor is it about what Roger says or why he says what he says. It's about Nadal's game and Nadals's game only.
KaxMisha is offline  
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:54 AM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaxMisha View Post
It's not ridiculous. This needs a thread of its own for two reasons, namely that I want to hear the arguments of those who say that he isn't one-dimensional and the fact that this always comes up in other threads as an off-topic spin-off.

As for what you write about Nadal beating Federer: so what? It's completely irrelevant. No one is saying that Nadal isn't a very good player (at least I'm not). That's not what this is about, nor is it about what Roger says or why he says what he says. It's about Nadal's game and Nadals's game only.
I am. I think he's a mediocre player with an incredible physique.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:57 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 932
                     
Re: Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safin_Lova View Post
I think this thred is ridiculous . How many times has this been spoken about?
Yes maybe Rafa is one dimensional, but how many times has he beaten federer already this year? we all know that and have seen it. Sorry to be harsh, but I think federer's only alibi to his losses against nadal have been that he is one dimensional. Nadal maybe just that, but since federer is so great dont you think it is quite embarassing that his looses to someone he regards as low and one dimensional?
I think nadal has something that bothers roger, and roger only comforts himself by continiously saying nadal is one dimesional.
I am sick of this, if roger cant beat the one dimensional kid, how is he beating multi dimensional players? (nalbandian,haas, safin)
I guess tennis is more of a phsycological game after all.
Congratulations! You're officially retarded.
deliveryman is offline  
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:58 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Age: 29
Posts: 98
                     
Re: Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaxMisha View Post
It's not ridiculous. This needs a thread of its own for two reasons, namely that I want to hear the arguments of those who say that he isn't one-dimensional and the fact that this always comes up in other threads as an off-topic spin-off.

As for what you write about Nadal beating Federer: so what? It's completely irrelevant. No one is saying that Nadal isn't a very good player (at least I'm not). That's not what this is about, nor is it about what Roger says or why he says what he says. It's about Nadal's game and Nadals's game only.
I know what this thread is about. I just said what I thought. Sorry you misunderstood. I dont want to casue a fuss or anything.
I admore nadals game, but my point was that yes he is one dimensional and has beaten roger many times. who cares about comapring both players games, this has been done many times. Besides Roger was the one who called rafa one dimensional before anyone else did. Yes federer is better technically and has more variey but its winner of the matches they play against eachother in the end that really matters. I can give you many examples of matches were supposedly the better/ more talented player has lost. Yes federer is better than Rafa, but the head to head shows that nadal can beat him many times. That is pure fact.

Have fun in retirement Marat- you will be missed
GO MARCOS BAGHDATIS
Good Luck to RAFA and Dima Tursunov NALBANDIAN and to A - ROD
Safin_Lova is offline  
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
I am. I think he's a mediocre player with an incredible physique.
Well, that's just semantics. Those two combined still make him a very good player. How else is he beating Federer? Luck?
KaxMisha is offline  
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
KaxMisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: Is Rafael Nadal a one-dimensional player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safin_Lova View Post
I know what this thread is about. I just said what I thought. Sorry you misunderstood. I dont want to casue a fuss or anything.
I admore nadals game, but my point was that yes he is one dimensional and has beaten roger many times. who cares about comapring both players games, this has been done many times. Besides Roger was the one who called rafa one dimensional before anyone else did. Yes federer is better technically and has more variey but its winner of the matches they play against eachother in the end that really matters. I can give you many examples of matches were supposedly the better/ more talented player has lost. Yes federer is better than Rafa, but the head to head shows that nadal can beat him many times. That is pure fact.
What the hell are you talking about? I'm not comparing them. I just want to know the reasoning of those who say Nadal isn't one-dimensional. This thread isn't intended as an attack on Nadal in any way, so why are you defending him?
KaxMisha is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome