1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!! - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 38
Posts: 4,618
                     
1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!


Sorry I`ve borrowed this info from another thread & it`s probably been discussed thoroughly before but I thought it was deserving of it`s own thread ... What really happened in 1977 ! From the statistics available it would seem pretty clear that Vilas was the undisputed #1 in 1977 & yet somehow Connors held that official post then ...I don`t like to regurgitate water under the bridge but seriously Vilas is due his cred ..Surely there`s been a court case over this Or maybe there still will be The status of saying you were a former #1 or the official World Champion for a given year (1977) would surely have a spin off affect~ in terms of potential sponsers & post tennis career opportunites .. I`d like to see a more thorough discussion on the SCANDAL of 77
Below are the blaring stats in question...

Vilas in 1977

http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/player...0&prevtrnnum=0

Australian Open : F
Roland Garros : W
Wimbledon : R32
US Open : W
Masters : SF

Titles / Runners-up : 16 / 6
Win-Loss : 128-14
Year-End Ranking : 2




Connors in 1977

http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/player...0&prevtrnnum=0

Australian Open : DNP
Roland Garros : DNP
Wimbledon : F
US Open : F
Masters : W

Titles / Runners-up : 7/ 6
Win-Loss : 66-13
Year-End Ranking : 1
CmonAussie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 06:51 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: 1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!

No, there wasn't a court case or anything like that and what purpose would it serve? The fortunate thing for Vilas at RG in 77 was that Borg was not playing and yes he won the most matches and won 2 Slams and made a final in another Slam, but Vilas needless to say was a bit pissed off by the whole thing.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #3 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Registered User
 
Argenbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 928
                     
Re: 1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!

Vilas was indeed robbed.
Argenbrit is offline  
post #4 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 38
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: 1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler View Post
No, there wasn't a court case or anything like that and what purpose would it serve? The fortunate thing for Vilas at RG in 77 was that Borg was not playing and yes he won the most matches and won 2 Slams and made a final in another Slam, but Vilas needless to say was a bit pissed off by the whole thing.

Thanks mate...however i don`t agree with you when you say "..what purpose would it serve?(a court case)" . Of course there`s a point in legal action . Justice should be served & whoever was in charge of determining the rankings back in 77 should get a spanking & fine . Also they should rewrite the stats showing Connors as year end #1 for 77 & change that to Vilas`s name . Personally I don`t like Vilas BUT that`s still the only decent thing to do .

If you think it`s ridiculous that they rewrite the books to show Vilas ast #1 instead of #2 then you should be aware that there is a precedent . On the PGA Tour they realised it was ridiculous to not count the British Open as on official win~ simply because the bigots determined that if it`s not on US soil it`s not a tournament ...Thank God common sense prevailed there & now the British Open golf has it`s correct status

No wonder Vilas was so pissed off at the FO this year when everyone was lauding Nadal If the history books are full of crap then you`ve got to rewrite them
CmonAussie is offline  
post #5 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Registered User
 
feuselino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 807
                     
Re: 1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!

So how did the rankings work in those days? Anyone know? Must have been a pretty unfair system, if Vilas didn't end up Nr.1 with such a year...
feuselino is offline  
post #6 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:28 AM
Registered User
 
TennisGrandSlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hong Kong SAR, China
Age: 36
Posts: 1,662
                     
Re: 1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!

Vilas in 1977

http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/player...0&prevtrnnum=0

Australian Open (Jan.) : F
Roland Garros : W
Wimbledon : R32
US Open : W
Australian Open (Dec.) : DNP
Masters : SF

Titles / Runners-up : 16 / 6
Win-Loss : 128-14 * (non-ATP source claims 145-14)
Year-End Ranking : 2




Connors in 1977

http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/player...0&prevtrnnum=0

Australian Open (Jan.) : DNP
Roland Garros : DNP
Wimbledon : F
US Open : F
Australian Open (Dec.) : DNP
Masters : W

Titles / Runners-up : 7/ 6
Win-Loss : 64-13
Year-End Ranking : 1

Last edited by TennisGrandSlam; 10-05-2006 at 12:20 PM.
TennisGrandSlam is offline  
post #7 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:29 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 683
                     
Re: 1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!

Borg was elected 'player of the year' in 77.
Boris Franz Ecker is offline  
post #8 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 38
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: 1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisGrandSlam View Post
Vilas in 1977

http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/player...0&prevtrnnum=0

Australian Open (Jan.) : F
Roland Garros : W
Wimbledon : R32
US Open : W
Australian Open (Dec.) : DNP
Masters : SF

Titles / Runners-up : 16 / 6
Win-Loss : 128-14 * (non-ATP source claims 145-14)
Year-End Ranking : 2




Connors in 1977

http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/player...0&prevtrnnum=0

Australian Open (Jan.) : DNP
Roland Garros : DNP
Wimbledon : F
US Open : F
Australian Open (Dec.) : DNP
Masters : W

Titles / Runners-up : 7/ 6
Win-Loss : 66-13
Year-End Ranking : 1

Thanks for doing the research TennisGrandSlam
& sorry to steal your info...
CmonAussie is offline  
post #9 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: 1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie View Post

Thanks mate...however i don`t agree with you when you say "..what purpose would it serve?(a court case)" . Of course there`s a point in legal action . Justice should be served & whoever was in charge of determining the rankings back in 77 should get a spanking & fine . Also they should rewrite the stats showing Connors as year end #1 for 77 & change that to Vilas`s name . Personally I don`t like Vilas BUT that`s still the only decent thing to do .
Fact is most people with an ounce of commonsense know who the number 1 player was that year and it wasn't Connors. Vilas would only become #1 bureaucratically, if there was a needless court case as I said he was fortunate that his nemisis Borg was not playing RG that year and he played a lot of small events that year, neverthless he was the best player of the year.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #10 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Registered User
 
TennisGrandSlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hong Kong SAR, China
Age: 36
Posts: 1,662
                     
Re: 1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Franz Ecker View Post
Borg was elected 'player of the year' in 77.
Player of Year 1977 : Borg
ITF Champion of 1977 : Borg
Year-End NO.1 of 1977 : Connors

But I think all 3 honors belongs to Vilas
TennisGrandSlam is offline  
post #11 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 38
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: 1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler View Post
Fact is most people with an ounce of commonsense know who the number 1 player was that year and it wasn't Connors. Vilas would only become #1 bureaucratically, if there was a needless court case as I said he was fortunate that his nemisis Borg was not playing RG that year and he played a lot of small events that year, neverthless he was the best player of the year.

Fair enough...#However I take point with the Borg comment.~~ Whether or not Borg was the best clay-courter at the time should have no bearing on this thread . What we`re talking about is who deserved to be YE #1 in 1977 & clearly that was Vilas.

Borg not playing the FO that year was fortunate for Vilas but we all know that sports is not about ^^who could have, who should have won or done something ~it`s about facts & who actually put themselves in the position to win.. The stats clearly show that 77 Vilas was the man!! Sure you already know that but a few decades from now I doubt people will realise. Also it`s quite sad for the Argentinian people~ I`m sure they`d feel better if the dodgy records were rectified to give their man his props
CmonAussie is offline  
post #12 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 38
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: 1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisGrandSlam View Post
Player of Year 1977 : Borg
ITF Champion of 1977 : Borg
Year-End NO.1 of 1977 : Connors

But I think all 3 honors belongs to Vilas

That`s exactly what I`m trying to say .. That`s why there should be some legal action over this injustice..
CmonAussie is offline  
post #13 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: 1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuselino View Post
So how did the rankings work in those days? Anyone know? Must have been a pretty unfair system, if Vilas didn't end up Nr.1 with such a year...
This is how it worked. The Aus Open and the French were much lower rated ranking wise than say Wimbledon and the US Open. That is one problem there.

Next one is that, there was an organisation called WCT and they had their own events as well and they had a lot of ranking points even higher than the those 2 Slams I mentioned.

Thirdly there was an average system in place, so say you played 10 events and won 8, then the ranking would be higher than say 16 wins out of 22 events.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #14 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: 1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie View Post

Fair enough...#However I take point with the Borg comment.~~ Whether or not Borg was the best clay-courter at the time should have no bearing on this thread . What we`re talking about is who deserved to be YE #1 in 1977 & clearly that was Vilas.
He was fortunate that is all, not the fact that Vilas was the best player for 1977 and the court case isn't going to happen at all. The tennis writers at the time had Vilas as their number 1 player for that year.

According to the system at the time, he wasn't.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #15 of 138 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 38
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: 1977 SCANDAL[>~<]***Vilas was robbed by Connors & corrupt tour...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler View Post
This is how it worked. The Aus Open and the French were much lower rated ranking wise than say Wimbledon and the US Open. That is one problem there.

Next one is that, there was an organisation called WCT and they had their own events as well and they had a lot of ranking points even higher than the those 2 Slams I mentioned.

Thirdly there was an average system in place, so say you played 10 events and won 8, then the ranking would be higher than say 16 wins out of 22 events.

So are you saying we can`t make anyone accountable for this
What about the ITF determing Borg the official World Champion for 77 ~ surely they should be made to rectify that decision
CmonAussie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome