Moya : Likes new RR format, 1998 had better top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger rivalry & more - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,563
                     
Moya : Likes new RR format, 1998 had better top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger rivalry & more

Some interestings thoughts in this interview with Carlos - http://www.rediff.com/sports/2006/sep/25moya1.htm

Moya targets 600 wins
Deepti Patwardhan in Mumbai

September 25, 2006 21:45 IST

Having notched up 500 career victories, former world number one Carlos Moya is feeling fit and fine to make it 600.

"I have the energy to go to 600," said the 30-year-old from Mallorca on Monday. "It is the result of the hard work I have put in day after day.

"When I started playing tennis I couldn't even think of it. I am really proud of it, give it as much importance as winning a Grand Slam."

Moya, who has been such a hit with the crowd in his five visits to Chennai, will set the courts ablaze at the Cricket Club of India in Mumbai during the US $ 380,000 Kingfisher Airlines Open, starting on Monday.

"At 22-23 you don't see the end coming. You think you can go forever, but now I like to enjoy every single tournament I participate in."

"I am working very hard. The schedule is very tight nowadays. It depends on how many tournaments I play, but I still like to travel and am still enjoying tennis. There are a lot of young guys coming up but I feel I still have the power to play and beat them," said Moya after his first practice session in Mumbai.

The Spaniard said the security, after the July 11 bomb blasts in Mumbai, is never a concern and it has always been a pleasure to tour India.

"When I came to Chennai for the first time I had an infection in my thumb and couldn't turn up for my quarter-final match. The second year I could not take the court at all because of a stress fracture-- I thought I had recovered enough but I hadn't really. So I was thinking maybe Chennai was unlucky for me.

"But then I won the title the next year and have started enjoying the Chennai Open. I hope I can play as well in Mumbai. It's my first time year; hopefully not the last."

Moya advocated the league format, which will be introduced in some ATP tournaments next year, saying it is good for the players, organisers as well as the fans.

"It helps you to relax a little. I have played in the Masters, which is the only tournament right now using the league format, and it's good for the players. Even you have an off-day you have the chance to make it to the quarter-final. If someone like [Rafael] Nadal or [Roger] Federer lose in the early-rounds, the fans still have more chances to watch the top players."

Though the depth in tennis has increased, the 1998 French Open champion believes that during his peak there were more players with top-10 potential than the current crop.

"Today Roger and Rafael are far ahead than anyone. The players between 10 and 50 are very good, very competitive but during our time there were people with greater top-10 potential."

Moya, who is a mentor to fellow-Mallorcan and two-time French Open champion Nadal, said the 20-year-old had to hang in there and wait for Federer's powers to wane to be at the top of the tennis world.

"Right now Federer is winning everything. Rafa has a 6-2 record against him which is great. It shows Roger is not unbeatable, though very close to that. Rafa is very strong on clay and having reached the Wimbledon final, he's a definite contender for the title there also. Federer's on the top of his game and but maybe after the next two-three years his form will drop a bit. Rafa has to prepared to hang in there till that time."


Moya, who arrived in the city only on Sunday evening, starts his campaign at the Mumbai Open with a first round clash against 18-year-old Argentine Juan Martin del Potro. His compatriot and world number seven Tommy Robredo leads the player field also consisting Croatia's Mario Ancic and Dmitry Tursunov.

--------------------------------------------------------------


I don't like this attitude that people like this format so they can have an off day but not really mind because they can still go far in the event. It leads to players picking and choosing when they want to win and when they can relax a bit.

Some interesting insight regarding Roger, and Rafa being number 1. Carlos of course knows him well so they've obviously talked about Rafa's future and how he might have to hang in until Roger at some point drops in form for Rafa to win Wimbledon/be number 1. Who is to say Nadal won't take a dip in the next few years too? Nothing is certain.

I hope Carlos gets his 600 wins though Always liked him.

Last edited by Raquel; 09-25-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Raquel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Anathemaniac
 
Sunset of Age's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Wall.
Posts: 41,908
                     
Re: Moya : Likes new RR format,1998 had better potential top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger rivalry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquel
I don't like this attitude that people like this format so they can have an off day but not really mind because they can still go far in the event. It leads to players picking and choosing when they want to win and when they can relax a bit.
Yeah, that pisses me off, too!
We're not fans of tennis players because we'd like to see them play chess...

I really, really hope the ATP will soon find out that it's a bad idea...

"It's getting colder, I'm getting colder, older, it's getting colder...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"


"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline  
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,370
                     
Re: Moya : Likes new RR format,1998 had better potential top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger rivalry

I know what I'm gonna say some people aren't gonna like to listen it but Alex Corretja said the other day that the new RR format was " a good idea ".

He basicly thinks it's good since now the good players will have more chances to pass rounds and that's a good thing for the tournament .

Alex made an example of World Match Play Championship and said that Tiger Woods commented that if the golf tournaments used the same format than match play championship then he would win less tournaments and would be much more difificult . Alex meant that tennis is a sport where you can't have a bad day becuase you are eliminated and that's tough in comparison with others sports.
Neverstopfightin is offline  
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 08:36 PM
F***ing have it
 
alfonsojose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Barranquilla (COL)
Age: 40
Posts: 16,870
                     
Re: Moya : Likes new RR format,1998 had better potential top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger rivalry

RR sucks

"Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another" .. Madonna

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline  
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Registered User
 
DrJules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,594
                     
Re: Moya : Likes new RR format,1998 had better potential top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger riv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquel
Moya, who is a mentor to fellow-Mallorcan and two-time French Open champion Nadal, said the 20-year-old had to hang in there and wait for Federer's powers to wane to be at the top of the tennis world.

"Right now Federer is winning everything. Rafa has a 6-2 record against him which is great. It shows Roger is not unbeatable, though very close to that. Rafa is very strong on clay and having reached the Wimbledon final, he's a definite contender for the title there also. Federer's on the top of his game and but maybe after the next two-three years his form will drop a bit. Rafa has to prepared to hang in there till that time."[/b]
To him Nadal become number 1 depends on Federer declining rather than Nadal improving and being better than Federer.

The current greatness league of active players in order of achievements to date (a factual comparison rather than fan biased assessment):

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 24 Master Series.
Nadal 14 GS, 27 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 9 GS, 4 Year End Masters, 24 Master Series.


DrJules is offline  
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:12 PM
Registered User
 
Naranoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oxford is not Detroit!
Age: 26
Posts: 8,841
                     
Re: Moya : Likes new RR format,1998 had better potential top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger riv

Quote:
To him Nadal become number 1 depends on Federer declining rather than Nadal improving and being better than Federer.
You could argue that he's just being realistic, because while Nadal is improving some weak aspects of his game, Federer keep getting better too (working on his backhand, etc.), so it would be unreasonable at this stage to say that Nadal will have more of an all-round game than Federer soon.
Naranoc is offline  
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 257
                     
Re: Moya : Likes new RR format,1998 had better potential top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger riv

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsojose
RR sucks
I agree! I always thought the Masters Cup is a weak tournament just because of that boring RR modus.

I mean right now is it a huge thing if a nobody beats a top player but im sure this will not be the same in the RR modus. In the end, the top player will still come through somehow and everything goes the way everyone expected it... isn't that a bit boring?

Oh and to add an other thing: If a player wins a tournament, but lost a match in the RR, will it really be worth the same as it is now? I mean he lost a match and still won the trophy... that sounds lame.

Last edited by radics; 09-25-2006 at 10:10 PM.
radics is offline  
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Anathemaniac
 
Sunset of Age's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Wall.
Posts: 41,908
                     
Re: Moya : Likes new RR format,1998 had better potential top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger riv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naranoc
You could argue that he's just being realistic, because while Nadal is improving some weak aspects of his game, Federer keep getting better too (working on his backhand, etc.), so it would be unreasonable at this stage to say that Nadal will have more of an all-round game than Federer soon.
That's all too true. Rafa's working on his weaker points (and yeah, he still has quite a lot of 'em), but in the mean time... Fed's improving too!
So it may well be that Rafa will have to wait till Fed's retired. It's only being realistic to conclude as such.

"It's getting colder, I'm getting colder, older, it's getting colder...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"


"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline  
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Ace Loveforty
 
scarecrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tirana, ALBANIA
Posts: 81,093
                     
Re: Moya : Likes new RR format,1998 had better potential top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger rivalry

RR sucks because sometimes the players on the same group can finish with the same points (wins) na then it will be decided on who has won more games (or lost less) and this way we risk having some tanking in the last matches

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=378

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline  
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Anathemaniac
 
Sunset of Age's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Wall.
Posts: 41,908
                     
Re: Moya : Likes new RR format,1998 had better potential top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger rivalry

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows
RR sucks because sometimes the players on the same group can finish with the same points (wins) na then it will be decided on who has won more games (or lost less) and this way we risk having some tanking in the last matches
Yep. That's what I was referring to when I posted that it would rather be playing 'chess' than 'tennis' if this indeed happens.

I like chess, don't get me wrong (I'm a - very bad - player myself ;-) but I can't bear to see this happening in tennis!

"It's getting colder, I'm getting colder, older, it's getting colder...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"


"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline  
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Registered User
 
Merton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,760
                     
Re: Moya : Likes new RR format,1998 had better potential top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger rivalry

Thanks for the article, while I disagree about the RR format, it is always interesting to see what Moya is saying.

Salvor Hardin: "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline  
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,498
                     
Re: Moya : Likes new RR format,1998 had better potential top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger rivalry

Quote:
Though the depth in tennis has increased, the 1998 French Open champion believes that during his peak there were more players with top-10 potential than the current crop.

"Today Roger and Rafael are far ahead than anyone. The players between 10 and 50 are very good, very competitive but during our time there were people with greater top-10 potential."
...
sorry to say it,Carlos, but this comment will look very stupid next year
richie21 is offline  
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,563
                     
Re: Moya : Likes new RR format,1998 had better potential top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger rivalry

Carlos is saying even more in this article - http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanhe...9352006925.asp

Tennis short of big names now: Moya
DH News Service Mumbai:

He may not be among the top guns now, but former world No 1 Carlos Moya feels tennis in the present era is lacking in big names compared to the past...


He may not be among the top guns now, but former world No 1 Carlos Moya feels tennis in the present era is lacking in big names compared to the past.

"There were more potential No 1 players before. There were players like Pete Sampras, Boris Becker, Andre Agassi, Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Goran Ivanisevic, myself,” Moya said of tennis before the Roger Federer era.

The 30-year-old Spaniard — still very much a part of the Federer era — despite being seeded fifth at the Kingfisher Airlines Open here, is probably the biggest draw. "Now, the difference between the top two and the rest is huge," Moya said before the opening match of the $380,000 tennis tournament on Monday.





The former French Open champion -- referred to as the King of Clay -- who had many a battle with Pete Sampras, still rates his old nemesis higher than Federer, the current world No 1.

"So far, Sampras has been the best. It's easy to compare the number of titles they have won, but it's not easy to compare the era and the players they played," Moya noted.

Also, it is hard for Moya to forget the two great matches he was involved in – one against King Sampras in the 1998 Australian Open final and against Alex Corretja in the Masters Cup in the same year, both the matches he ended up losing.

"I didn't expect to be in the final (Australian Open), to be playing the best player. I have great memories of that tournament. That's something I will never forget," Moya said.

How does it feel to have notched 500 wins? "When I started my career, I didn't even think of that figure. I would compare it to a Grand Slam win or probably the No 1 spot. But I still have the energy now to win 600."

Moya then backed the new Spanish sensation Rafael Nadal to win Wimbledon. "If somebody can get to the final of the tournament, I think he has it in him to win. The key for Rafael is to stay there for a couple of years. If he stays there for a few years, he will win a lot of tournaments. He has to fight to stay there."

What about the Spanish armada during his time and now? "The old generation was better. There were players like Corretja, Costa, Ferrero, Mantilla and me. Any one of us could win the final and win a French Open. All the five players could win. Now, you have only one."

Almost a household name in India, Moya has won the ATP title in Chennai twice besides making the final early this year. The fans here hope his maiden trip to the city turns out to be as successful.
Raquel is offline  
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 578
                     
Re: Moya : Likes new RR format,1998 had better potential top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger rivalry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquel
Carlos is saying even more in this article - http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanhe...9352006925.asp

Tennis short of big names now: Moya
DH News Service Mumbai:

He may not be among the top guns now, but former world No 1 Carlos Moya feels tennis in the present era is lacking in big names compared to the past...


He may not be among the top guns now, but former world No 1 Carlos Moya feels tennis in the present era is lacking in big names compared to the past.

"There were more potential No 1 players before. There were players like Pete Sampras, Boris Becker, Andre Agassi, Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Goran Ivanisevic, myself,” Moya said of tennis before the Roger Federer era.

The 30-year-old Spaniard — still very much a part of the Federer era — despite being seeded fifth at the Kingfisher Airlines Open here, is probably the biggest draw. "Now, the difference between the top two and the rest is huge," Moya said before the opening match of the $380,000 tennis tournament on Monday.





The former French Open champion -- referred to as the King of Clay -- who had many a battle with Pete Sampras, still rates his old nemesis higher than Federer, the current world No 1.

"So far, Sampras has been the best. It's easy to compare the number of titles they have won, but it's not easy to compare the era and the players they played," Moya noted.

Also, it is hard for Moya to forget the two great matches he was involved in – one against King Sampras in the 1998 Australian Open final and against Alex Corretja in the Masters Cup in the same year, both the matches he ended up losing.

"I didn't expect to be in the final (Australian Open), to be playing the best player. I have great memories of that tournament. That's something I will never forget," Moya said.

How does it feel to have notched 500 wins? "When I started my career, I didn't even think of that figure. I would compare it to a Grand Slam win or probably the No 1 spot. But I still have the energy now to win 600."

Moya then backed the new Spanish sensation Rafael Nadal to win Wimbledon. "If somebody can get to the final of the tournament, I think he has it in him to win. The key for Rafael is to stay there for a couple of years. If he stays there for a few years, he will win a lot of tournaments. He has to fight to stay there."

What about the Spanish armada during his time and now? "The old generation was better. There were players like Corretja, Costa, Ferrero, Mantilla and me. Any one of us could win the final and win a French Open. All the five players could win. Now, you have only one."

Almost a household name in India, Moya has won the ATP title in Chennai twice besides making the final early this year. The fans here hope his maiden trip to the city turns out to be as successful.
If the tour is easier now, he should have a good explanation why he never won a slam after the "incredible" compettitive at the top ten 1998.

A service notice for Pete..

Little FEDERER, Roger (SUI) Versus Defending Wimbledon Champ Pete SAMPRAS (USA)
Year Tournament Round Surface Winner Score
2001 Wimbledon 16 Grass (O) R.FEDERER 7-6(7) 5-7 6-4 6-7(2) 7-5


Does he really believes this is the same Federer of then?
spencercarlos is offline  
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 01:22 AM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Moya : Likes new RR format, 1998 had better top 10 depth, Rafa/Roger rivalry & more

Moya should keep his mouth shut for a change.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome