Murray's 'dominance' - MensTennisForums.com
 28Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 198
                     
Murray's 'dominance'

The thing is, tennis fans never learn. Murray fans expect their player to go on and dominate the tour. It's not working that way, mates.

If you know the mechanics of this sport, and the players themselves, their abilities, it's clear that he is not good enough / not the type of player to be able to dominate. He is a brilliant player, but a flawed one, a less complete one than Djokovic. Simple as that.

Rios was number one for a short period, Moya was number one as well, just as Kuerten. Thing is, none of them have the game to keep up a dominance. Murray simply can't finish a point off the forehand side when there would be a chance for a DTL forehand. Watching him play for 7 years now, and not even Lendl could improve that to a level where it would be a weapon.

When you swing your whole body to generate power off that side, it's no weapon at this level. His CC forehand is fine though, especially on the run, just great.

The indoor season can be a little misleading when analyzing a tennis season. Most of the unexplainable runs happen this time of the year. Think of Nalbandian's great 2007 wins. Djokovic did dominate the first half of the season, and a good chunk of important events. We all know these results, no point listing them here. Murray's surge to the top could happen only in these conditions, I believe. There is a reason he could not achieve this earlier. Again, he traditionally does phenomenally in Asia, and London was no surprise this year.

Those who expect him to be a dominant number one, just miss the point.
Looner, davidova711 and vladisimo like this.
Barton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:51 PM
country flag MWW
A Mugikori Fan
 
MWW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sydney
Age: 24
Posts: 34,422
                     
Re: Murray's 'dominance'

Who expects him to be a dominant no. 1? As far as the rest of the field goes he is still above them and wins more than he loses based on other weapons like his ROS even if the FH is not as big (sometimes with luck ). otherwise is fairly dominant. Matchup with Novak is different but they can only meet in finals.
Rik Wolland likes this.
MWW is offline  
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 198
                     
Re: Murray's 'dominance'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Imaz View Post
Who expects him to be a dominant no. 1? As far as the rest of the field goes he is still above them and wins more than he loses based on other weapons like his ROS even if the FH is not as big (sometimes with luck ). otherwise is fairly dominant. Matchup with Novak is different but they can only meet in finals.
When you get beat in big matches, you are not dominant.

Yes, he beats 99% of the tour, but Djokovic does the same.
Barton is offline  
 
post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Registered User
 
clearwaters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 25
Posts: 4,182
                     
Re: Murray's 'dominance'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barton View Post
The thing is, tennis fans never learn. Murray fans expect their player to go on and dominate the tour. It's not working that way, mates.
Oh the irony.
Shapovalover likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer after winning Wimbledon 2017
I guess again it's just belief, achieve such heights. I wasn't sure if I was going to be here again after last year. I've had some tough finals. I always believed I could come back here again. I kept believing and dreaming and here I am today.
clearwaters is offline  
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Registered User
 
Orbis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 624
                     
Re: Murray's 'dominance'

Interesting points about the forehand. Even at his best it can hold him back by preventing him from dictating certain patterns of play.

The scary thing is that it seems Djokovic is somehow still the only one preventing full-blown domination of the tour by Murray. As soon as he falters, Murray is there to clean up the rest, without fail. Only Nishikori playing an inspired match at the US Open last year was able to stop him otherwise.
Orbis is offline  
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 198
                     
Re: Murray's 'dominance'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
The scary thing is that it seems Djokovic is somehow still the only one preventing full-blown domination of the tour by Murray. As soon as he falters, Murray is there to clean up the rest, without fail. Only Nishikori playing an inspired match at the US Open last year was able to stop him otherwise.
True but Murray is the type of player who can be beaten with a certain type of play. Kyrgios, Dimitrov or even Nadal could stop him here and there this year.
Barton is offline  
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Registered User
 
Paolo Pinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,361
                     
Re: Murray's 'dominance'

this "thesis"-type of OP is really not necessary.

you can break down all the recent murray hype to basically one slam: wimby 2016

and he won that fucking tournament without beating nole, rafa, fed.

/thread
davidova711 likes this.
Paolo Pinkel is offline  
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 198
                     
Re: Murray's 'dominance'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Pinkel View Post
this "thesis"-type of OP is really not necessary.

you can break down all the recent murray hype to basically one slam: wimby 2016

and he won that fucking tournament without beating nole, rafa, fed.

/thread
Not a bad point mate, but kinda ironic that the guy in your avatar has a weaker forehand that Murray.
Barton is offline  
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:49 PM
Registered User
 
No1Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 535
                     
I don't really care if Andy dominates or not. The no.1 is in the bag now anything more is a bonus on that front. He needs to make sure he is ready to peak at all slams from here on for the next 2 years which he has serious chances, that is the most important thing.Making sure he finishes his career with 5/6 slams at least and finishing amongst the ATG's has to be his final goal now, everything else is pretty much ticked off.
No1Ray is offline  
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 198
                     
Re: Murray's 'dominance'

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Ray View Post
I don't really care if Andy dominates or not. The no.1 is in the bag now anything more is a bonus on that front. He needs to make sure he is ready to peak at all slams from here on for the next 2 years which he has serious chances, that is the most important thing.Making sure he finishes his career with 5/6 slams at least and finishing amongst the ATG's has to be his final goal now, everything else is pretty much ticked off.
Good approach mate. He can definitely win another slam or two (Wimbledon and US Open, most probably). AO is just more open these years, even with Novak's dominance, I'd say. There are quite a few darkhorses - including Kyrgios in a few years.
Barton is offline  
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Registered User
 
doubletrollt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Age: 40
Posts: 3,282
                     
Re: Murray's 'dominance'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barton View Post
When you get beat in big matches, you are not dominant.

Yes, he beats 99% of the tour, but Djokovic does the same.

He is almost 30, and he said that slams would be his priorities.

Sampras never had as dominant season as Fedalovic' 3-slam seasons or even 2-slam+4 masters season, but he had four 2-slam seasons with 2 averaged masters therein.

So, it is all about slams now for Murray and I think that majority of his fans would rather see him as 2017 y.e. no.2 with two slams + zero masters than y.e. no.1 with one slam + four masters again.

Last edited by doubletrollt; 01-07-2017 at 09:32 PM.
doubletrollt is online now  
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 198
                     
Re: Murray's 'dominance'

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletrollt View Post
He is almost 30, and he said that slams would be his priorities.

Sampras never had as dominant season as Fedalovic' 3-slam seasons or even 2-slam+4 masters seasons with less than 10 losses therein, but he had four 2-slam seasons with 2 averaged masters.
Apples and oranges. Different dynamics back then.
Barton is offline  
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:40 PM
Registered User
 
Floki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 14,354
                     
Re: Murray's 'dominance'

There is no such thing as Murray's "dominance".

The only players that have been dominated the tour for relevant period of time to be called dominance in the last 20 years are Federer and Djokovic.
davidova711 likes this.

The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated.

Shall we begin?
Floki is offline  
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Registered User
 
Shapovalover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 961
                     
Re: Murray's 'dominance'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floki View Post
There is no such thing as Murray's "dominance".

The only players that have been dominated the tour for relevant period of time to be called dominance in the last 20 years are Federer and Djokovic.
Nadal, Sampras...?
Shapovalover is offline  
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 198
                     
Re: Murray's 'dominance'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitard View Post
Nadal, Sampras...?
Apparently winning double digit slams and dominating Federer and Djokovic for nearly a decade isn't enough.
Barton is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome