Grand Slam ranking for 2006 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Rogiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,484
                     
Grand Slam ranking for 2006

(1) Federer 3700 points, entry ranking: 1, race position: 1
(2) Nadal 1950, 2, 2
(3) Baghdatis 1220, 9, 9
(4) Nalbandian 1010, 4, 7
(5) Davydenko 955, 5, 4
(6) Roddick 930, 6, 3
(7) Ljubicic 780, 3, 5
(8) Hewitt 685, 19, 15
(9) Ancic 575, 12, 10
(10) Youzhny 565, 24, 21

Honorable mentions:

Blake 475, 16th in GS points, 8th in the ranking, as usual - does nothing out of the US (nice win over Almagro though).
Gonzo 190 :retard: somehow 11th in the Entry system.

Baghdatis must perform out of the Slams to do himself justice, Ljubo and Nalbandian are probably under the impression that the GS season ends in June, Davydenko (almost) always delivers, Roddick picks his annual Slam to make up for a terrible GS season and Hewitt still a money time player,

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Rogiman; 09-15-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Rogiman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
shotgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 12,570
                     
Re: Grand Slam ranking for 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman
Gonzo 190 :retard: somehow 11th in the Entry system.
He played well at the Masters Series events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
The tennis equivalent of two old bald men fighting over a comb.
shotgun is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Rogiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,484
                     
Re: Grand Slam ranking for 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Blues
He played well at the Masters Series events.
Not an excuse
Rogiman is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Grand Slam ranking for 2006

Gonzalez is the most overrated player nowadays.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Rogiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,484
                     
Re: Grand Slam ranking for 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi
Gonzalez is the most overrated player nowadays.
No, his new bitch Safin is.
Rogiman is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Registered User
 
Pfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Madrid
Age: 28
Posts: 14,940
                     
Re: Grand Slam ranking for 2006

Gonzalez overrated? Na. He's just an underachiever. The talents there, the head isn't (he has improved this aspect a bit though).

It's always Night, or we wouldn't need Light. - Thelonius Monk (via Thomas Pynchon)
Pfloyd is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Grand Slam ranking for 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman
No, his new bitch Safin is.
Safin is one of the most talented players ever. Everybody knows that. He's the underachiever of the decade. He could be so much more.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Grand Slam ranking for 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafuria
Gonzalez overrated? Na. He's just an underachiever. The talents there, the head isn't (he has improved this aspect a bit though).
Talent in Gonzalez??? Are you serious?
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Rogiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,484
                     
Re: Grand Slam ranking for 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi
Safin is one of the most talented players ever. Everybody knows that. He's the underachiever of the decade. He could be so much more.
When someone does nothing of note over nearly two years and yet mentioned so often in tennis discussions, he is overrated, and all the 'most talented' talk can be flushed down the toilet.
Rogiman is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Registered User
 
R.Federer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,821
                     
Re: Grand Slam ranking for 2006

Sad to see Hewitt underperforming at the slams these days. Andy rescued his year admirably in New York.
R.Federer is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Registered User
 
LCeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,580
                     
Re: Grand Slam ranking for 2006

Really makes me wonder how can Marcos do so little outside of slams yet does so well in slams. Usually it's the other way around.
LCeh is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Registered User
 
ezekiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Age: 37
Posts: 4,023
                     
Re: Grand Slam ranking for 2006

well Marcos tanked at RG and USO ?
He is really streaky , it's either feast or famine for him
ezekiel is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Registered User
 
DrJules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,594
                     
Re: Grand Slam ranking for 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman
(1) Federer 3700 points, entry ranking: 1, race position: 1
(2) Nadal 1950, 2, 2
(3) Baghdatis 1220, 9, 9
(4) Nalbandian 1010, 4, 7
(5) Davydenko 955, 5, 4
(6) Roddick 930, 6, 3
(7) Ljubicic 780, 3, 5
(8) Hewitt 685, 19, 15
(9) Ancic 575, 12, 10
(10) Youzhny 565, 24, 21

Honorable mentions:

Blake 475, 16th in GS points, 8th in the ranking, as usual - does nothing out of the US (nice win over Almagro though).
Gonzo 190 :retard: somehow 11th in the Entry system.

Baghdatis must perform out of the Slams to do himself justice, Ljubo and Nalbandian are probably under the impression that the GS season ends in June, Davydenko (almost) always delivers, Roddick picks his annual Slam to make up for a terrible GS season and Hewitt still a money time player,

Your thoughts?
To me this seems to be a higher quality top 10 than the actual one.

On the additions:
1) Hewitt - Not surprised to see in top 10 because he performs were it really counts in grand slams.

2) Youzhney - Did beat world number 2 in grand slam.

On those who dropped:
1) Robredo - Does not perform for whatever reason in grand slams (I think 485 points in total never beyond 4th round). However, has reached ranking of 6.

2) Blake - Does seem to struggle outside US. Would certainly expect more in the AO.

The current greatness league of active players in order of achievements to date (a factual comparison rather than fan biased assessment):

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 24 Master Series.
Nadal 14 GS, 27 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 9 GS, 4 Year End Masters, 24 Master Series.


DrJules is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Grand Slam ranking for 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules
On those who dropped:
1) Robredo - Does not perform for whatever reason in grand slams (I think 485 points in total never beyond 4th round). However, has reached ranking of 6.
Reason: He's a joke.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Registered User
 
DrJules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,594
                     
Re: Grand Slam ranking for 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCeh
Really makes me wonder how can Marcos do so little outside of slams yet does so well in slams. Usually it's the other way around.
The good news is that he performs when it counts.

The current greatness league of active players in order of achievements to date (a factual comparison rather than fan biased assessment):

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 24 Master Series.
Nadal 14 GS, 27 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 9 GS, 4 Year End Masters, 24 Master Series.


DrJules is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome