ARGENTINA IS IN THE FINAL!!! - Gauchos vs. Kangaroos - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Hendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,791
                     
ARGENTINA IS IN THE FINAL!!! - Gauchos vs. Kangaroos

ARGENTINA IS IN THE DAVIS CUP FINAL FOR THE SECOND TIME EVER.








Davis Cup Semifinal
Argentina
vs. Australia




World Group 2006
Semifinal
Parque Roca, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Stadium Capacity: 14000
22 September - 24 September 2006
Day 1: 1100 hrs (1400 hrs GMT)
Day 2: 1130 hrs (1430 hrs GMT)
Day 3: 1100 hrs (1400 hrs GMT)
Surface: Clay (Red Clay) - Outdoors
Ball Type: Pro Penn Extra Duty (Black Seal)


Head to Head 2 - 2

2005 ARG d. AUS 4-1 in AUS World Group - Quarterfinal - Sydney International Tennis Centre, Sydney, Australia Grass (O) 15 Jul - 17 Jul 2005

2002 ARG d. AUS 5-0 in ARG World Group - 1st Round - Buenos Aires L.T.C., Buenos Aires, ARG Clay (O) 08 Feb - 10 Feb 2002

1990 AUS d. ARG 5-0 in AUS World Group - Semifinal - White City Stadium,Sydney,NSW,Australia Grass (O) 21 Sep - 23 Sep 1990

1977 AUS d. ARG 3-2 in ARG Inter-Zonal - 1st Round
Buenos Aires LTC,Buenos Aires,Argentina Clay (O) 14 Sep - 16 Sep 1977

http://www.daviscup.com/ties/tie.asp?tie=100007696

Last edited by Hendu; 09-23-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Hendu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Hendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,791
                     
Re: Gauchos vs. Kangaroos --- Davis Cup clash

Official Nominations:
Argentine Team - Australian Team


David Nalbandian - Lleyton Hewitt


José Acasuso - Mark Philippoussis


Agustín Calleri - Wayne Arthurs


Juan Ignacio Chela - Paul Hanley

Captain: Alberto "Luli" Mancini - Captain: John Fitzgerald


Head to heads:

Nalbandian, David 1-3 Hewitt, Lleyton

2005 AUS v. ARG WG Qtrs Sydney, Australia Grass RR Nalbandian 6-2 6-4 6-4

2005 Australian Open Australia Hard Q Hewitt 6-3 6-2 1-6 3-6 10-8

2002 Wimbledon England Grass F Hewitt 6-1 6-3 6-2

2002 Barcelona Spain Clay R16 Hewitt 6-2 6-4

Nalbandian, David 1-1 Philippoussis, Mark

2003 US Open NY, U.S.A. Hard R32 Nalbandian 7-5 6-7(10) 6-3 6-2

2003 Scottsdale AZ, U.S.A. Hard Q Philippoussis 0-6 6-3 6-4

Acasuso, Jose 0-1 Hewitt, Lleyton

2005 US Open NY, U.S.A. Hard R64 Hewitt 7-6(6) 7-6(3) 6-2

Calleri, Agustin 0-1 Hewitt, Lleyton

2005 Adelaide Adelaide, Australia Hard R16 Hewitt 6-1 6-4

Calleri, Agustin 0-1 Philippoussis, Mark

2005 Metz France Hard R16 Philippoussis 7-6(10) 6-4
Hendu is offline  
post #3 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Hendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,791
                     
Re: Gauchos vs. Kangaroos --- Davis Cup clash

The Stadium is ready. Capacity: 14.510



With Hewitt coming it will be a great DC clash. I wish I had tickets.

My guess:

Nalbandian vs. Philippoussis

Acasuso vs. Hewitt

Nalbandian/Calleri vs. Arthurs/Hanley

Nalbandian vs. Hewitt

Acasuso vs. Philippoussis


Although Argentina is favorite Australia will be very tough to beat. Hewitt is a great DC player, and Philippoussis has victories on clay over Pioline and Grosjean in Davis Cup. Arthurs and Hanley are also capable of giving the Argentine team a hard time.

I can't wait to see what happens.
Hendu is offline  
post #4 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:10 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 1,159
                     
Re: Gauchos vs. Kangaroos --- Davis Cup clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyCañas
Because of this I re-open the "Argentina vs. Australia thread". I hope we can talk about this great clash in the semis of the Davis Cup between two strong teams.

What is going to be so "great" about this clash, a 5-0 ass kick?

Better tie is Russia v USA
Doctor Dance is offline  
post #5 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Hendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,791
                     
Re: Gauchos vs. Kangaroos --- Davis Cup clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dance
What is going to be so "great" about this clash, a 5-0 ass kick?

Better tie is Russia v USA
Well, I think Argentina is the big favorite. But Hewitt had a great performance to beat Kuerten in Brazil, and Philippoussis has victories against Grosjean and Pioline in Davis Cup on clay. Plus Hanley and Arthurs are a very good doubles team.

I know Hewitt and the Scud are not playing as well as they used to, but I think they are a dangerous team.

Last edited by Hendu; 09-13-2006 at 03:17 AM.
Hendu is offline  
post #6 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:20 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 1,159
                     
Re: Gauchos vs. Kangaroos --- Davis Cup clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyCañas
Well, I think Argentina is the big favorite. But Hewitt had a great performance to beat Kuerten in Brazil, and Philippoussis has victories against Grosjean and Pioline in Davis Cup on clay. Plus Hanley and Arthurs are a very good doubles team.

I know Hewitt and the Scud are not playing as well as they used to, but I think they are a dangerous team.

Ya, but as you say they are not playing well. Hewitt is not up to a top 20 standard on any surface these days let alone on clay

If this was 5 years ago, I think Aus would have been favourites, but now anything but 5-0 win and I would be shocked
Doctor Dance is offline  
post #7 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Hendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,791
                     
Re: Gauchos vs. Kangaroos --- Davis Cup clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dance
Ya, but as you say they are not playing well. Hewitt is not up to a top 20 standard on any surface these days let alone on clay

If this was 5 years ago, I think Aus would have been favourites, but now anything but 5-0 win and I would be shocked
Argentina doesn't have Coria, Gaudio, Puerta and Cañas, for different reasons. We still have a good team and are big favorites, but I am not sure how Acasuso will react when playing against Hewitt, and it wouldn't be crazy if Hanley and Arthurs pulled a victory. That means 2-1 for Australia... and anything can happen in a Davis Cup sunday. Stranger things have happened.

I don't think it will be an extremelly lopsided tie, as almost everyone does.
Hendu is offline  
post #8 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:33 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 1,159
                     
Re: Gauchos vs. Kangaroos --- Davis Cup clash

Ok maybe Australia win the doubles to make it 4-1
Doctor Dance is offline  
post #9 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Hendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,791
                     
Re: Gauchos vs. Kangaroos --- Davis Cup clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dance
Ok maybe Australia win the doubles to make it 4-1
Where do I have to sign?
Hendu is offline  
post #10 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:36 AM
Senior Member
 
shotgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 12,570
                     
Re: Gauchos vs. Kangaroos --- Davis Cup clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyCañas
Argentina doesn't have Coria, Gaudio, Puerta and Cañas, for different reasons. We still have a good team and are big favorites, but I am not sure how Acasuso will react when playing against Hewitt, and it wouldn't be crazy if Hanley and Arthurs pulled a victory. That means 2-1 for Australia... and anything can happen in a Davis Cup sunday. Stranger things have happened.

I don't think it will be an extremelly lopsided tie, as almost everyone does.
If Chucho plays like did in his DC debut against Sweden, I don't think he will have many problems dealing with Hewitt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
The tennis equivalent of two old bald men fighting over a comb.
shotgun is offline  
post #11 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Hendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,791
                     
Re: Gauchos vs. Kangaroos --- Davis Cup clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Blues
If Chucho plays like did in his DC debut against Sweden, I don't think he will have many problems dealing with Hewitt.
I agree.

But first, Acasuso hasn't been playing like he did at the beginning of the year, second, Argentina plays to be in the Final of the Davis Cup for the second time ever, third, Hewitt is much more dangerous than Thomas Johansson and Bjorkman, especially in DC.
Hendu is offline  
post #12 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 04:04 AM
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 38
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: Gauchos vs. Kangaroos --- Davis Cup clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dance
Ya, but as you say they are not playing well. Hewitt is not up to a top 20 standard on any surface these days let alone on clay

If this was 5 years ago, I think Aus would have been favourites, but now anything but 5-0 win and I would be shocked

You dumb shit
Hewitt has been plagued with injuries this year but he still managed to: Win Queens, Final Las Vages, Final San Jose, QF Wimbledon, QF US Open !

Even at Hewitt`s lowpoint he`s still atleast Top-20,~did you watch him beat Gasquet at the US Open or Blake at Queens or give Nadal a run for his money at the FO .....
CmonAussie is offline  
post #13 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Hendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,791
                     
Re: Gauchos vs. Kangaroos --- Davis Cup clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie

You dumb shit
Hewitt has been plagued with injuries this year but he still managed to: Win Queens, Final Las Vages, Final San Jose, QF Wimbledon, QF US Open !

Even at Hewitt`s lowpoint he`s still atleast Top-20,~did you watch him beat Gasquet at the US Open or Blake at Queens or give Nadal a run for his money at the FO .....
What do you think about the Davis Cup tie?
Hendu is offline  
post #14 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 04:14 AM
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 38
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: Gauchos vs. Kangaroos --- Davis Cup clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyCañas
What do you think about the Davis Cup tie?

Hey mate ...#Well it`s obvious that Argentina are the favorites but without Coria & Gaudio->> plus a recently underperforming Nalbandian then the tie is more open than some people would believe ..

If Hewitt can win his 1st of the reverse singles then I`d say the Aussies are 50:50 to win it. However if Rocky Llegs loses that one then the prospects won`t be good
CmonAussie is offline  
post #15 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Hendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,791
                     
Re: Gauchos vs. Kangaroos --- Davis Cup clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie

Hey mate ...#Well it`s obvious that Argentina are the favorites but without Coria & Gaudio->> plus a recently underperforming Nalbandian then the tie is more open than some people would believe ..

If Hewitt can win his 1st of the reverse singles then I`d say the Aussies are 50:50 to win it. However if Rocky Llegs loses that one then the prospects won`t be good
It seems we have pretty much the same opinion.

Last edited by Hendu; 09-13-2006 at 04:25 AM.
Hendu is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome