okay so my thread just got banned... - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 582
                     
okay so my thread just got banned...

i didnt know there were people with power trips at mtf. i assume one of the posters who told me to change the title of the banned thread, "if federer DIED RIGHT NOW, where would he be on GOAT list?" was a moderator. but instead of identifying himself as a mod, he goes the cowardly route and removes the thread without any notice or explanation even after i explained to everyone the reasoning behind title (federer said he wouldn't retire like borg).

so congratulations for having no sense of levity, imagination; being on a power trip; and being cowardly!
lordmanji is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,944
                     
Re: okay so my thread just got banned...

Well it was not me. Insulting the mods wont help you though.

Formerly known as Four:Love.
Yappa is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Registered User
 
Purple Rainbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BoL
Age: 35
Posts: 6,782
                     
Re: okay so my thread just got banned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmanji
i didnt know there were people with power trips at mtf. i assume one of the posters who told me to change the title of the banned thread, "if federer DIED RIGHT NOW, where would he be on GOAT list?" was a moderator. but instead of identifying himself as a mod, he goes the cowardly route and removes the thread without any notice or explanation even after i explained to everyone the reasoning behind title (federer said he wouldn't retire like borg).

so congratulations for having no sense of levity, imagination; being on a power trip; and being cowardly!
Coming from somebody with very poor taste...

17 (yes, yes, yes!) Slams! And counting....
Purple Rainbow is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 582
                     
Re: okay so my thread just got banned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow
Coming from somebody with very poor taste...
excuse me but do you have any support for your argument? I can just reply to your post saying "coming from somebody with very poor taste... who made you the arbiter of taste other than that tennis stick...

i already explained why i said died instead of retired. perhaps you can do something constructive rather than reactive for once in your life?
lordmanji is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
                     
Re: okay so my thread just got banned...

The mods are publicly disclosed at the bottom of every forum at MTF. wtn_amanda is the main admin and she hasn't been around for a while. Bad gambler is away on vacation, so it was Neely or Carlita, most likely, as Jazz_Girl hasn't been around lately either. The mods don't unfairly and arbitrarily just delete threads for fun - people must have reported it.

LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Registered User
 
Purple Rainbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BoL
Age: 35
Posts: 6,782
                     
Re: okay so my thread just got banned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmanji
excuse me but do you have any support for your argument? I can just reply to your post saying "coming from somebody with very poor taste... who made you the arbiter of taste other than that tennis stick...

i already explained why i said died instead of retired. perhaps you can do something constructive rather than reactive for once in your life?
For once in my life? I don't believe I have ever read anything about you and probably vice versa...
imho, death is not a subject to be taken lightly. Not only was it totally unnecessary in your post (I didn't read your explanation, but I'd be very surpised if you could come up with a good reason to talk about a fictional death of a tennis player), it might even be offensive and hurting to other posters. Poor taste, mate.

17 (yes, yes, yes!) Slams! And counting....
Purple Rainbow is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Age: 27
Posts: 733
                     
Re: okay so my thread just got banned...

I never noticed the mods doing anything. Im not saying theyre not doiing their jubs (im sure they are) but from the threads people start, i have to say theyre easy on us!

Nadal~Federer~Baghdatis~Tursonov

Gonzo-Safin-Hewitt-Robredo-Verdasco-Moya-Nalbandian-Roddick-Kolya

"He has no idea what he is writing anymore or who he is writing to. He just puts “lol” and moves on to the next window. The girl is probably telling him that her kittens died and he just says, “lol.” "Tursunov on Monfils
supersexynadal is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Registered User
 
R.Federer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,821
                     
Re: okay so my thread just got banned...

Since this thread was started with so much tennisworthy news/debate/discussion about a game/match/player, expect it to go the same route
R.Federer is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 582
                     
Re: okay so my thread just got banned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow
For once in my life? I don't believe I have ever read anything about you and probably vice versa...
imho, death is not a subject to be taken lightly. Not only was it totally unnecessary in your post (I didn't read your explanation, but I'd be very surpised if you could come up with a good reason to talk about a fictional death of a tennis player), it might even be offensive and hurting to other posters. Poor taste, mate.
well you just excluded yourself from the discussion by admitting you didnt even read the explanation. that segues perfectly into my point that you're reacting to the style and not substance of what was said. whats worst is that you think you can pass off judgement without knowing or wanting to know why. theres a reason why judges have to find precedent in previous cases for their rulings you know...

and if people are hurt about the supposition of a hypothetical death of a tennis player, i am very amused by that. they need to lighten up. but im sure no one was hurt, just a little scared that it might happen.
lordmanji is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Registered User
 
DrJules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,594
                     
Re: okay so my thread just got banned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmanji
i didnt know there were people with power trips at mtf. i assume one of the posters who told me to change the title of the banned thread, "if federer DIED RIGHT NOW, where would he be on GOAT list?" was a moderator. but instead of identifying himself as a mod, he goes the cowardly route and removes the thread without any notice or explanation even after i explained to everyone the reasoning behind title (federer said he wouldn't retire like borg).

so congratulations for having no sense of levity, imagination; being on a power trip; and being cowardly!
I strongly disapproved of what you said regarding if somebody died.

However, I strongly support your freedom of speech and do not approve of its oppression. Naturally, the role of moderator is going to attract individuals who like power over others and the opportunity to determine what is or is not acceptable for others to read.

The current greatness league of active players in order of achievements to date (a factual comparison rather than fan biased assessment):

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 24 Master Series.
Nadal 14 GS, 27 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 9 GS, 4 Year End Masters, 24 Master Series.


DrJules is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Registered User
 
Purple Rainbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BoL
Age: 35
Posts: 6,782
                     
Re: okay so my thread just got banned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmanji
well you just excluded yourself from the discussion by admitting you didnt even read the explanation. that segues perfectly into my point that you're reacting to the style and not substance of what was said. whats worst is that you think you can pass off judgement without knowing or wanting to know why. theres a reason why judges have to find precedent in previous cases for their rulings you know...

and if people are hurt about the supposition of a hypothetical death of a tennis player, i am very amused by that. they need to lighten up. but im sure no one was hurt, just a little scared that it might happen.
It's pretty much impossible to read your argument if your thread has gotten deleted. I suppose that it is difficult for you to understand.
And, uhm, if you've just lost a loved one, such a thread title can be quite offensive. You've probably lived a nice, sheltered life so far and wouldn't understand the impact death can have on a person. Maybe one day you'll come to realise that death is not a topic to be talked about lightly.

17 (yes, yes, yes!) Slams! And counting....
Purple Rainbow is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 582
                     
Re: okay so my thread just got banned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules
I strongly disapproved of what you said regarding if somebody died.

However, I strongly support your freedom of speech and do not approve of its oppression. Naturally, the role of moderator is going to attract individuals who like power over others and the opportunity to determine what is or is not acceptable for others to read.
i respect your opinion.

on another note, this thread here could be a microcosm of how the general public sees tennis and tennis players as old, stiff, uptight, haughty, etc. on almost any other forum, the thread title such as that would not cause so much a stir but on here its a big thing. or could it be, as a twenty something i've offended a specific over-40 crowd?

but right now i feel like john macenroe arguing a line call against not just the umpire but the establishment behind him.
lordmanji is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 582
                     
Re: okay so my thread just got banned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow
It's pretty much impossible to read your argument if your thread has gotten deleted. I suppose that it is difficult for you to understand.
And, uhm, if you've just lost a loved one, such a thread title can be quite offensive. You've probably lived a nice, sheltered life so far and wouldn't understand the impact death can have on a person. Maybe one day you'll come to realise that death is not a topic to be talked about lightly.
my dear mr jules, if you read the first post w/ any sincerity, you'd find in parenthesis something to the effect of (federer said he'd never retire like borg) as the reasoning of the post.

and yes, ive experienced loss as well but hell...life goes on. above all, its a THREAD TITLE pertaining to arguably one of the most protected men in the world what with all the wealth and security he invites. i find the idea of fed dying impossible.
lordmanji is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Registered User
 
atheneglaukopis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,238
                     
Re: okay so my thread just got banned...

Personally, I had no problem with the wording of the original thread, and in fact I thought it reasonable. The question is: Where does Federer stand now with respect to the achievements of all-time greats? It's framed in terms of "if he were to die" to give the question some relevance, because death, unlike retirement, is irreversible and could happen to anyone at any time. Federer has stated that he has no intention of retiring until at least 2012, and as we have seen with other players, retirement isn't necessarily permanent. The question could have been framed just as well in terms of a career-ending injury, but I'm not of the opinion that the thread warranted deletion.

For the record, I am distinctly unfond of the original poster; Federer is my number one favorite player, and I would be upset if anything were actually to happen to him and/or he were to be seriously threatened; my favorite sister died when I was thirteen for reasons that had nothing to do with lack of wealth or security, so I'm well aware death can strike at any moment and that it is upsetting when it happens.

Fan of: Federer Safin Haas Nadal Santoro Agassi Tursunov's blog

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
atheneglaukopis is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Registered User
 
R.Federer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,821
                     
Re: okay so my thread just got banned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmanji
my dear mr jules, if you read the first post w/ any sincerity, you'd find in parenthesis something to the effect of (federer said he'd never retire like borg) as the reasoning of the post.

and yes, ive experienced loss as well but hell...life goes on. above all, its a THREAD TITLE pertaining to arguably one of the most protected men in the world what with all the wealth and security he invites. i find the idea of fed dying impossible.
Offensive threads are often deleted. Were you not around when a thread about the accusations of rafa taking dope was deleted? That was a thread, about a tennis player, reporting stuff in the media (evidently, made up stuff), but was deleted nevertheless. WHY? Because it is offensive to the player, and to his fans. Likewise here. The underlying sentiment comes across as a wish to see the death of a player. That's just disgusting.
R.Federer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome