Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Loremaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,810
                     
Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

His draw looks very hard but if he manage to go through to final I think his confidence would be sky high, if he made final it would be totaly deserved looking at his draw.

3rd - L.Hewitt he has something like 6-2 against him, and Lleyton always trubles him, but with recent form I think it COULD be easy for Andy, and it could be huge confidence boost

4rd - Baghdatis/Agassi - Andre is anbother big problem for Andy 5-1 but if he made it it would be great.

than Ljubicic or Gasquet in QF and Nadal in SF

I think it could be great for Andy to advance through such difficult draw, it will give his very much confidence and maybe he will be able to upset Federer (of course only when Roger will not be 100%)

What do Think??

ANDY RODDICK

Q :What are you looking for in a woman?
A :Someone who will order food…worst thing is when you take a girl out and they order a side salad and diet water
[CENTER]Richard Gasquet Rafael Nadal Lleyton Hewitt
James Blake

" Axl Rose is Guns N' Roses. Buy 'Contraband' or 'Libertad' for more information"
Loremaster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Paris
Age: 27
Posts: 9,871
                     
Re: Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

I'd LOVE for that to happen. I'm penciling him in for the finals. Will he win it? I don't know. But with the way he's been playing, and the other guys in his quarter save Gasquet, he's got a great chance to beat them.

______________________________

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
~*BGT*~ is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 38
Posts: 53,509
                     
Re: Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

It's all about confidence for Andy - if his confidence overcomes his nerves about the expectations of the crowds and having to do what he did in Cincy again in New York, he should go deep.

I'm sure Jimmy Connors has been whispering the right words in Andy's ear again - and it seemed to work before Cincy.
scoobs is offline  
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Registered User
 
ezekiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Age: 37
Posts: 4,023
                     
Re: Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

I see Florent Serra giving him considerable trouble, he should be wary to not have a repeat of Gilles Muller
ezekiel is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Loremaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,810
                     
Re: Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

And I think the best way to gain more confidence for him it to play and win with players with whom he struggled badly , so this draw could be great for him, what more , andy usually had very easy draws in Slams and he was destroying his opponents easily until he was playing someone better and he couldn't find himself than (AO 2004 - lost to Safin, USOpen - 2004 - lost ot Johansson, 2006 AO) now he has good players all the way to final (even Serra is not so bad , maybe his 2nd opponent will be easy)

ANDY RODDICK

Q :What are you looking for in a woman?
A :Someone who will order food…worst thing is when you take a girl out and they order a side salad and diet water
[CENTER]Richard Gasquet Rafael Nadal Lleyton Hewitt
James Blake

" Axl Rose is Guns N' Roses. Buy 'Contraband' or 'Libertad' for more information"
Loremaster is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 582
                     
Re: Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

its not all about confidence w/ andy. before at the pacific life open and miami, he had a lot of confidence but could not and possibly did not know how to translate that to the court. right now its about doing what has worked for him in cinci: controlled aggression at net and w/ his backhand, booming his serves in, and staying on the baseline.
lordmanji is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Registered User
 
cath777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,475
                     
Re: Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loremaster
His draw looks very hard but if he manage to go through to final I think his confidence would be sky high, if he made final it would be totaly deserved looking at his draw.

3rd - L.Hewitt he has something like 6-2 against him, and Lleyton always trubles him, but with recent form I think it COULD be easy for Andy, and it could be huge confidence boost

4rd - Baghdatis/Agassi - Andre is anbother big problem for Andy 5-1 but if he made it it would be great.

than Ljubicic or Gasquet in QF and Nadal in SF

I think it could be great for Andy to advance through such difficult draw, it will give his very much confidence and maybe he will be able to upset Federer (of course only when Roger will not be 100%)

What do Think??
Andy won't meet Hewitt until the quarters, if they both get that far.
cath777 is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Registered User
 
R.Federer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,821
                     
Re: Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

There are landmines all the way, but if he can get past Marcos/Andre/Andrei then I fancy his chances to get to the SF. Really intrigued about the 2006-version of nadal-roddick
R.Federer is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 38
Posts: 53,509
                     
Re: Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmanji
its not all about confidence w/ andy. before at the pacific life open and miami, he had a lot of confidence but could not and possibly did not know how to translate that to the court. right now its about doing what has worked for him in cinci: controlled aggression at net and w/ his backhand, booming his serves in, and staying on the baseline.
He might have SAID at that time he had a lot of confidence but he certainly didn't play like he did, unlike at Cincy.

Then he was saying he was confident, and now he's playing like he is, that's the difference.
scoobs is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
                     
Re: Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobsuk
He might have SAID at that time he had a lot of confidence but he certainly didn't play like he did, unlike at Cincy.

Then he was saying he was confident, and now he's playing like he is, that's the difference.
I don't even recall him saying anything about having confidence at IW and Miami this year so i'm not sure what lordmanji is talking about

PACIFIC LIFE OPEN
INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA
March 15, 2006

Q. Are you confident right now? Are you feeling confident right now?
ANDY RODDICK: Why would I feel confident right now? If that was the case, I don't think we'd be sitting here having this funeral-like press conference. It's just weird because, you know, I don't know, I used to like hit for a half hour and then go eat Cheetos the rest of the day, come out and drill forehands. Now I'm really trying to make it happen, being professional, really going for it, and I miss my Cheetos.

Q. Is it possibly that you're overthinking?

ANDY RODDICK: Of course, there's such a thing as overthinking. You guys have writers block sometimes? No? Well, maybe if you wrote like novels or something and you had to create something, you couldn't just write on what happened.

I'm sure there is.

=================================

NASDAQ-100 OPEN
MIAMI, FLORIDA
March 30, 2006
Q. Difficult loss, but was one of your better matches.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it was. You know, like I said, this whole week I liked where my head was at as far as competing. You know, I wasn't -- even today, I got fired up but, you know, I got down, I came back, like Brick said, I played terrible in the first set and was able to kind of regroup and not lose it.
You know, that's a sign of, I think, confidence coming back, is being able to regroup a little bit. Even though I came up short, I can take a lot more out of this loss than, obviously, those of you who were with me in Indian Wells after that one. There wasn't a whole lot positive about that and I can normally try to find something.

Q. Do you feel like you are on the verge of getting back to where you were, or is it something -- do you feel you need a little time, take it slowly? Where are you?

ANDY RODDICK: I feel like I'm on the verge of playing really good tennis again. You know, I feel like I played pretty well this week. Like I said, today was probably the best I actually struck the ball, you know, as far as just making solid contact.
But the rest of the week, you know, parts of my game were really good at times, you know, throughout this whole tournament. And now, it's just a matter of trying to kind of take one from here, take one from here, and kind of put them together.
But I'm a lot -- I feel a lot better leaving this tournament than I did leaving the last tournament, or even, you know, a couple days before this tournament. So that's good. You know, you always want to feel like you're, like you said, going towards something instead as far as (sic) getting farther away from something. I definitely feel like I'm moving towards something right now.

LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline  
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 582
                     
Re: Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

so which came first, his improvement in his game or his confidence? i think its the former.
lordmanji is offline  
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
                     
Re: Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

I agree, but you can't improve your game the way he improved his game in the past like MONTH this fast. To me that means he had the abilities to do these things before, but not the confidence or faith in such abilities. I give big Jimbo a lot of the credit for that.

LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline  
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Phunkadelicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 33
Posts: 14,727
                     
Re: Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmanji
so which came first, his improvement in his game or his confidence? i think its the former.
Are you going to completely ignore the fact that you were just proven wrong? Not even a "my mistake"?
Phunkadelicious is offline  
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Registered User
 
celia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,538
                     
Re: Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

all credit to Sharapova -- Andy does better when he's getting laid. plus having a gf who is herself at the top of her game must have inspired him to work even harder i say. good for him.

"A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous..."
celia is offline  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Registered User
 
R.Federer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,821
                     
Re: Roddick to exorcise his deamons during USOpen

These are the interviews AFTER losing early; maybe Lord Manji / Scoobs from UK are talking about what he said going into these tournaments. I'll try dig that up, maybe he did say he felt good, was confident, etc. and did not then live up to that. Can't remember, I'll look up the interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDeb
I don't even recall him saying anything about having confidence at IW and Miami this year so i'm not sure what lordmanji is talking about

PACIFIC LIFE OPEN
INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA
March 15, 2006

Q. Are you confident right now? Are you feeling confident right now?
ANDY RODDICK: Why would I feel confident right now? If that was the case, I don't think we'd be sitting here having this funeral-like press conference. It's just weird because, you know, I don't know, I used to like hit for a half hour and then go eat Cheetos the rest of the day, come out and drill forehands. Now I'm really trying to make it happen, being professional, really going for it, and I miss my Cheetos.

Q. Is it possibly that you're overthinking?

ANDY RODDICK: Of course, there's such a thing as overthinking. You guys have writers block sometimes? No? Well, maybe if you wrote like novels or something and you had to create something, you couldn't just write on what happened.

I'm sure there is.

=================================

NASDAQ-100 OPEN
MIAMI, FLORIDA
March 30, 2006
Q. Difficult loss, but was one of your better matches.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it was. You know, like I said, this whole week I liked where my head was at as far as competing. You know, I wasn't -- even today, I got fired up but, you know, I got down, I came back, like Brick said, I played terrible in the first set and was able to kind of regroup and not lose it.
You know, that's a sign of, I think, confidence coming back, is being able to regroup a little bit. Even though I came up short, I can take a lot more out of this loss than, obviously, those of you who were with me in Indian Wells after that one. There wasn't a whole lot positive about that and I can normally try to find something.

Q. Do you feel like you are on the verge of getting back to where you were, or is it something -- do you feel you need a little time, take it slowly? Where are you?

ANDY RODDICK: I feel like I'm on the verge of playing really good tennis again. You know, I feel like I played pretty well this week. Like I said, today was probably the best I actually struck the ball, you know, as far as just making solid contact.
But the rest of the week, you know, parts of my game were really good at times, you know, throughout this whole tournament. And now, it's just a matter of trying to kind of take one from here, take one from here, and kind of put them together.
But I'm a lot -- I feel a lot better leaving this tournament than I did leaving the last tournament, or even, you know, a couple days before this tournament. So that's good. You know, you always want to feel like you're, like you said, going towards something instead as far as (sic) getting farther away from something. I definitely feel like I'm moving towards something right now.
R.Federer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome