Re: What previous rivalry matches Federer-Nadal
The much-heralded Sampras-Agassi rivalry was hampered by the fact that they were rarely on top of their games at the same time. Only in 1994-95 were they both playing at something like their peak level.
There are many things that make the Federer-Nadal rivalry so interesting:
1) Two VERY different playing styles.
2) Both are playing at their peak level in 2005 and 2006. Clearly the no.1 and no.2 players in the world.
3) The fact that Nadal seems to be the only thing standing between Federer and the "greatest of all time" tag.
4) The fact that the no.2. player has actually been dominating their rivalry so far.
5) The most talented player of all time against the fittest grinder of all time.