Hewitt is responding to this article:
Coaching signals are bad sign, says Hewitt
by Dave James
2 hours, 10 minutes ago
PARIS (AFP) - Former world number one Lleyton Hewitt believes there is no room in tennis for clandestine coaching from the sidelines and wants the practice to remain banned.
The fiery Australian hit back at veteran American coach Nick Bollettieri, the man behind the rise of legions of players including Maria Sharapova, who claimed that coaching from the sidelines should be allowed.
"I don't think it should be allowed. That's the great thing about our sport, once you are out there, it's a matter of doing what you need to do against your opponent and working it out for yourself," said Hewitt.
Bollettieri revealed on Thursday that he had used discreet signals to pass on tips to players during matches despite the practice being against the rules.
A similar controversy sparked a furious reaction from world number one Roger Federer during the recent Rome Masters final against Rafael Nadal when the Swiss star claimed that his opponent was getting advice from his coach Toni Nadal.
"I know there's been times in the past where I'm sure coaches have been giving little signals at the back of the court," continued Hewitt.
"There's not a whole heap you can do about it. At the end of the day, the player still has to go out there and execute."
Hewitt didn't need any help on Thursday to reach the French Open third round with a 7-5, 6-3, 6-3 win over wildcard Mathieu Montcourt of France.
The 14th seed now faces Slovakian 22nd seed Domimik Hrbaty, who beat Croatia's Ivo Karlovic, for a place in the last 16.
The 25-year-old Hewitt played his first clay court match in two years in Austria last week, lost in the first round and suffered an ankle injury.
But after saving a set point in the 10th game here on Thursday, Hewitt was never really troubled by an opponent ranked 213 in the world and who was playing in his first tour event.
"It was a tough first set," said Hewitt. "I knew nothing about him before the match so it took time to work him out. But once I got the first set under my belt, I got better as the match went on."
Hewitt admitted, however, that his ankle was still causing him problems.
"It's not 100-percent but I'm getting through and doing all I need. I've played with pain before and a week ago I wasn't sure I would be able to play at all."
Hewitt had been 4-1 ahead in the first set before the 21-year-old Frenchman rallied to 5-5 but once he had squandered his set point, the former world number one cranked up the pressure.
The first set was wrapped up after 67 minutes when Montcourt buried an easy forehand in the net before Hewitt raced through the second set taking it with a trademark sweeping forehand of his own.
Hewitt picked up another crucial break of serve in the seventh game of the third and wrapped up the affair in the ninth game when Montcourt hit long.
At least the Frenchman had the consolation of seeing his bank balance taking on a healthier complexion with his 23,280 euros prize money representing almost as much as he has made from his entire career - 27,000 euros.