Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 62,730
                     
Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell

Published April 25, 2006


How severely has Rafael Nadal psychologically damaged Roger Federer with his victory in the final Sunday at Monte Carlo?

"I can't say nothing about that," Nadal told reporters after taking down the No. 1 player in the world for the fourth time in five meetings. Federer, however, could say something about it, though he sounded suspiciously like Mr. Spin as he tried to philosophize about all these losses.

"They don't break down my will or hope or anything because what I care about is looking at the ... well, trying not to lose against him in Grand Slams, and then be ahead of him 2,000 points in the rankings. That's what I care about, and not really losing tonight."

If you buy into Federer's stuttering explanation, Monte Carlo means very little. I'm not buying, and I doubt many others are. Tennis being an individual sport, you can't diffuse these losses onto an entire team. It's all on Federer's head, and he'll have two weeks off now before he and Nadal converge on Rome on the clay court road to the French Open -- again as the top two seeds and able to meet only in a final.

This is not just a clay-court complex Nadal is visiting upon Federer's psyche. He has twice beaten him on hardcourts, and once this year, at Dubai. And he was close to making this a 5-0 edge, leading Federer two sets to love in the 2005 Nasdaq final before losing.

Nadal's most important advantage is that he's left-handed, which gives him a decided edge with his extremely heavy topspin forehand crosscourts to Federer's backhand.

In the Monte Carlo final, Federer had 78 unforced errors -- 40 off backhand ground strokes. "He leaves me no choice. He obviously plays a lot of shots that tease you to come in. It's obvious I'm going to make the unforced errors, because I'm the guy who's pressing and not him," Federer said.

Overall, Federer has an excellent record against lefties, and Nadal and No. 20 Jarkko Nieminen are the only left-handers in the top 20. But Nadal is the one player who is not only blocking his path to complete domination of the game but to the French Open title as well -- the only major Federer hasn't won.

There was nothing wrong with Federer's play up to the final at Monte Carlo. He had his usual early-tournament burp, losing a set in his opening match to Novak Djokovic before grooving well enough to easily defeat David Ferrer, the Spaniard who is among the top-five clay courters out there right now.

But Nadal is a different animal. He isn't intimidated, and he doesn't lose his composure when things aren't going well. He was down a set to Federer at Dubai and won. He was down 3-0 in the final-set tiebreak Sunday and came back to win.

He has quickness, speed, power and emotional strength -- all that and he still hasn't come close to maximizing his serving potential. This Masters Series title gave Nadal 42 clay court wins in a row -- four behind Bjorn Borg's personal best and 11 behind the record held by Guillermo Vilas.

He could be well on his way to 60 by the time he arrives in Paris, where he may have extended his mastery of Federer to 5-1 by the time the tournament begins.

"I think matches against Rafael are going to help me in beating other players," Federer concluded. "The more I play him, the more also I'll figure out his game, and the easier it's going to get for me. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I really believe it."

How many matches does he need? This was the fifth, and two of them have gone four sets and one of them five. There is that and tapes of every match at his disposal. If he hasn't figured out how to play Nadal by now, this is also just spin -- one of the first signs of a player who feels the psychological heat.

Charles Bricker's tennis column appears Tuesdays. He can be reached at cbricker@sun-sentinel.com.




~~~Roger Federer (17 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010, Wimbledon 2012 ~~~

Daniel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 01:26 AM
Registered User
 
Flibbertigibbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: You-nited States of America
Posts: 2,235
                     
Re: Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell

<Insert comment on how article title clearly has palpable homoerotic tension flowing between Roger and Rafael. Insert query on whether or not this will affect their tennis.>



I am a fan of Federer, Gasquet, Baghdatis, the long-deceased Safin, Youzhny, Nalbandian, Rochus, Tsonga, the sadly-departed Santoro, and good, hearty, competitive tennis matches. The quality of my life does not rest solely on who wins these matches. In fact, I would even go as far as to say that I can live quite happily after a player I like chokes, mugs, bashes, or otherwise succumbs to a loss.
Flibbertigibbet is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 01:56 AM
Registered User
 
Flibbertigibbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: You-nited States of America
Posts: 2,235
                     
Re: Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell

<Insert and such appropriate emoticons into conversation.>



I am a fan of Federer, Gasquet, Baghdatis, the long-deceased Safin, Youzhny, Nalbandian, Rochus, Tsonga, the sadly-departed Santoro, and good, hearty, competitive tennis matches. The quality of my life does not rest solely on who wins these matches. In fact, I would even go as far as to say that I can live quite happily after a player I like chokes, mugs, bashes, or otherwise succumbs to a loss.
Flibbertigibbet is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 01:56 AM
Registered User
 
morningglory's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,579
                     
Re: Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell

and the capricious media strikes again...
sure, at the AO, and Last year's USO and Wimby, or when ARod was a "threat" to Fed and kept losing to him, they adored Fed. He is a genius! He is better than Pete Sampras! but as soon as their bandwagon hits a small pothole... blah.. they turn against him and flame him over and over... in a way, I pity Fed...

It's just the media. The Williams sisters, Maria Sharapova, top names have all gone through this. Roger won't be treated any differently... the only exception I've seen is ARod... somehow he gets exempt from it, dunno why...
morningglory is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
                     
Re: Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell

Andy's gotten plenty of negative press in the last few months.... you haven't seen it?

LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 02:01 AM
Registered User
 
rofe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,789
                     
Re: Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningglory
and the capricious media strikes again...
sure, at the AO, and Last year's USO and Wimby, or when ARod was a "threat" to Fed and kept losing to him, they adored Fed. He is a genius! He is better than Pete Sampras! but as soon as their bandwagon hits a small pothole... blah.. they turn against him and flame him over and over... in a way, I pity Fed...

It's just the media. The Williams sisters, Maria Sharapova, top names have all gone through this. Roger won't be treated any differently... the only exception I've seen is ARod... somehow he gets exempt from it, dunno why...
Not saying I disagree with parts of the article but you hit the nail right on the head. Fed gives so much time to these guys and a hiccup in his game makes them pounce on him like a pack of hungry wolves. Disgusting!

He should make it a point to single out such journalists and refuse interviews.

Need ideas for a new signature...
rofe is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 02:04 AM
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
                     
Re: Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe
Not saying I disagree with parts of the article but you hit the nail right on the head. Fed gives so much time to these guys and a hiccup in his game makes them pounce on him like a pack of hungry wolves. Disgusting!

He should make it a point to single out such journalists and refuse interviews.
They take most of this rubbish from the press conferences, don't they?

And I mean, that's how society seems to be these days. we live in a "What have you done for me lately" kind of world.

LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 02:22 AM
Registered User
 
morningglory's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,579
                     
Re: Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra ¡|:!
Andy's gotten plenty of negative press in the last few months.... you haven't seen it?
Duh he deserved it these last few months just look at him... but after USO 03 no one seemed to get upset why he wasn't winning all the time like they wanted him too? No one ever blames his blind devotion to davis cup, or the time spent eating cheetos and playing poker, or going on TV shows and all that stuff... The Williams Sisters did the same and OUCH! the media shows no mercy... even one who puts in immense practice effort like Maria still gets bad press for her YEARLY photoshoots... let's just face it, Andy is USA's pet...
morningglory is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 02:26 AM
Registered User
 
Chloe le Bopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,276
                     
Re: Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningglory
Duh he deserved it these last few months just look at him... but after USO 03 no one seemed to get upset why he wasn't winning all the time like they wanted him too? No one ever blames his blind devotion to davis cup, or the time spent eating cheetos and playing poker, or going on TV shows and all that stuff... The Williams Sisters did the same and OUCH! the media shows no mercy... even one who puts in immense practice effort like Maria still gets bad press for her YEARLY photoshoots... let's just face it, Andy is USA's pet...
:retard:

Actually, that would be James Blake

I lack direction.

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 02:27 AM
Registered User
 
atheneglaukopis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,238
                     
Re: Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'torian
Rafa: "I got you under my spell..."
Rogi:

<Insertion of part 1 complete.>
Now Rogelio's turn: "You're In My Head (You're In My Heart)"

Fan of: Federer Safin Haas Nadal Santoro Agassi Tursunov's blog

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
atheneglaukopis is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 02:34 AM
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
                     
Re: Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe le Bopper
:retard:

Actually, that would be James Blake
LOL That was my exact thought.... great minds

morningglory, Andy's gotten plenty of bad press before this year. And the reason why he's never been treated like the Williams Sisters is because he's never shown up at a tournament horrifically overweight, out of shape, and unprepared to play. He may have outside commitments and outside interests, but I see no evidence that they're what's affected his on court results.

People may not agree with his rabid devotion to DC but I don't think anyone in the press is going to question that because it's not like it's a "bad thing" - it's still a way of being dedicated to the sport. And the reason why no one questioned why he did't win all the time is because he never pretended to win all the time. He never went a year with 4 losses, he never won a bazillion finals in a row, save for one period of a couple months, he never had an air of unbeatability about him, his imperfections have been well-documented in the media and have come up many-a-time, and frequently throughout his professional career, not just this season.

Roger has put himself in the position where he wins so often that every loss he has is going to be questioned. And considering that since 2004 only one person has beaten him multiple times and that one person has beaten him FOUR times and accounts for a full 1/3 of his losses in the past 2+ years, it's going to be expected that people will discuss Rafa being in his head, Roger's mental problems with overcoming Rafa and his game, etc.

LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 02:43 AM
Registered User
 
rofe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,789
                     
Re: Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra ¡|:!
LOL That was my exact thought.... great minds

morningglory, Andy's gotten plenty of bad press before this year. And the reason why he's never been treated like the Williams Sisters is because he's never shown up at a tournament horrifically overweight, out of shape, and unprepared to play. He may have outside commitments and outside interests, but I see no evidence that they're what's affected his on court results.

People may not agree with his rabid devotion to DC but I don't think anyone in the press is going to question that because it's not like it's a "bad thing" - it's still a way of being dedicated to the sport. And the reason why no one questioned why he did't win all the time is because he never pretended to win all the time. He never went a year with 4 losses, he never won a bazillion finals in a row, save for one period of a couple months, he never had an air of unbeatability about him, his imperfections have been well-documented in the media and have come up many-a-time, and frequently throughout his professional career, not just this season.

Roger has put himself in the position where he wins so often that every loss he has is going to be questioned. And considering that since 2004 only one person has beaten him multiple times and that one person has beaten him FOUR times and accounts for a full 1/3 of his losses in the past 2+ years, it's going to be expected that people will discuss Rafa being in his head, Roger's mental problems with overcoming Rafa and his game, etc.

Need ideas for a new signature...
rofe is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 02:58 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,922
                     
Re: Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra ¡|:!
Andy's gotten plenty of negative press in the last few months.... you haven't seen it?
I haven't seen anything. I don't visit his forum and Mirkaland doesn't provide the GM with Andy's articles.
Skyward is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 03:05 AM
Registered User
 
atheneglaukopis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,238
                     
Re: Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'torian
So... Beautiful...
Everyone keeps talking about how Nadal is in Federer's head, so I've been humming this song a lot lately. Your masterpiece of emoticon art was right on target.

Fan of: Federer Safin Haas Nadal Santoro Agassi Tursunov's blog

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
atheneglaukopis is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 03:07 AM
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
                     
Re: Article: Nadal has Federer under his spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward
I haven't seen anything. I don't visit his forum and Mirkaland doesn't provide the GM with Andy's articles.
Well they're in his forum, trust me We just choose to pretty much keep the discussion there.

LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome