Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG? - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
betterthanhenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,952
                     
Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG?

Sneaky swine is not my term, but what Frew's co-commentator (sorry but they all sound the same) called him.

He has a genuinely big serve, with a second serve that kicks like the proverbial mule. He loads up with topspin on both sides, moves well and is aggressive in everything he does.

Oh, I'm talking about Safin's best buddy, Almagro by the way.

Last edited by betterthanhenman; 04-29-2006 at 04:30 PM.
betterthanhenman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,503
                     
Re: Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG

Just cause he beat Safin he is a contender for RG? If Henman beats Gaudio is he a contender for RG for example.

This is from Julio.



He can play the game, but it's too early to make these kinds of calls.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
betterthanhenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,952
                     
Re: Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG

Like the pic. Beating Safin and Ferrero (even now) is impressive. I am not suggesting he will win in Paris, but if he keeps this form going, then he has the game, energy and mentality to at least be in the second week I think.

Henman a contender at RG? I might make early predictions, but I have not been yet today.

Last edited by betterthanhenman; 04-16-2006 at 02:20 PM.
betterthanhenman is offline  
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Registered User
 
Deivid23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 37
Posts: 13,295
                     
Re: Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG

He should be some day, it´s soon though
Deivid23 is offline  
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,503
                     
Re: Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanhenman
Like the pic. Beating Safin and Ferrero (even now) is impressive. I am not suggesting he will win in Paris, but if he keeps this form going, then he has the game, energy and mentality to at least be in the second week I think.
If you are suggesting that he is a contender, then it stands to reason that you are suggesting he could win it.

It's not like Almagro has just come out of nowhere and he has been on the tour for 3 years.

Does he have the mentality? He can implode and self destruct very easily. There is a reason he is called the Poor Mans Gonzalez. He is spectacular, but as for being in the later rounds of a Slam this year, the jury is still out on that.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Registered User
 
ClaycourtaZzZz.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: -
Age: 30
Posts: 19,258
                     
Re: Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG

He could be dangerous for Rafa...

Rafa AlmagroGuilleGaudioCalleriMoyaCHELALuczak


All youngsters

Murray Baghdatis Monfils JMDP Gasquet






Roger Federer, what an arrogant asshole.
ClaycourtaZzZz. is offline  
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Registered User
 
Deivid23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 37
Posts: 13,295
                     
Re: Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
. There is a reason he is called the Poor Mans Gonzalez.
Imo he deserves a better nick than that as it implies he has worse shots than Gonzo and for my taste he has at least as good shots as Chilean player overall
Deivid23 is offline  
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Registered User
 
propi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: I wish I knew
Age: 36
Posts: 1,404
                     
Re: Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG

I can see him in the second week of Roland Garros this year if the draw is fine, but not winning, that could take longer

Carlos, Tommy, Rafa, Feli, Nicolás, Marcel
Rainer, Radek, Benji Becker, Jarkko Nieminen, Melzer, Nalbandián, Tursunov, Starace, Djokovic, Youzhny
propi is offline  
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,503
                     
Re: Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deivid23
Imo he deserves a better nick than that as it implies he has worse shots than Gonzo and for my taste he has at least as good shots as Chilean player overall
Well I mean "Superstar" is almost about to go, because he is actually showing some of his talent, whereas before he was only a superstar in his own bathroom.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
betterthanhenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,952
                     
Re: Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
If you are suggesting that he is a contender, then it stands to reason that you are suggesting he could win it.
I am asking the more knowledgeable members of the forum such as yourself if you believe he could be a threat there. In my opinion, the beauty of the Freanch is that there are always a number of players who can surprise people there and progress further than expected.
betterthanhenman is offline  
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Registered User
 
Deivid23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 37
Posts: 13,295
                     
Re: Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Well I mean "Superstar" is almost about to go, because he is actually showing some of his talent, whereas before he was only a superstar in his own bathroom.
Deivid23 is offline  
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,503
                     
Re: Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanhenman
I am asking the more knowledgeable members of the forum such as yourself if you believe he could be a threat there. In my opinion, the beauty of the Freanch is that there are always a number of players who can surprise people there and progress further than expected.
It's too early to make these calls, the clay season needs to pan a bit more before anything can be said with any clarity. It smacks of recency effect.

There are plenty of guys who can have fun and cause trouble for the big guys, Almagro might be and he might not, he could have problems, he is hot and cold.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Burned-out Safin fan
 
Damita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sarkoland... help!
Age: 34
Posts: 18,127
                     
Re: Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Well I mean "Superstar" is almost about to go, because he is actually showing some of his talent, whereas before he was only a superstar in his own bathroom.

& Runner up of the MONTE-CARLO MASTERS 2009 and CHINA OPEN 2009

My Tennis Pics updated after Roland Garros 2009 - 8 new albums
Damita is offline  
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
betterthanhenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,952
                     
Re: Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
It smacks of recency effect.
Am not comparing the two by any means, but people said that when it was suggested Nadal would win RG 2005, early in last year's clay court season.

It is a knee-jerk reaction possibly, but if he goes in 'hot' then he could cause anyone problems. Lots of young players come of age at the major tournaments and this could apply to Almagro. All I am saying is that he definitely has the game to do well there. From what I have seen of him this week, he will start rising to the big occasions.

At present, Almagro would not be in the 5 or even 10 favourites for RG. But Puerta made the final last year and in my opinion, did not have a vastly superior game to Almagro. Is Davydenko a better clay-courter than Almagro? I dont think so and he almost made the final himself. How many people thought Berasategui would make the final in '94? There are always surprises at RG and Almagro could be one of them this year.
betterthanhenman is offline  
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Registered User
 
Allez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,025
                     
Re: Can the 'Sneaky Swine' be a contender at RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanhenman
Am not comparing the two by any means, but people said that when it was suggested Nadal would win RG 2005, early in last year's clay court season.

It is a knee-jerk reaction possibly, but if he goes in 'hot' then he could cause anyone problems. Lots of young players come of age at the major tournaments and this could apply to Almagro. All I am saying is that he definitely has the game to do well there. From what I have seen of him this week, he will start rising to the big occasions.

At present, Almagro would not be in the 5 or even 10 favourites for RG. But Puerta made the final last year and in my opinion, did not have a vastly superior game to Almagro. Is Davydenko a better clay-courter than Almagro? I dont think so and he almost made the final himself. How many people thought Berasategui would make the final in '94? There are always surprises at RG and Almagro could be one of them this year.

And don't forget Henman getting so close to winning the title in 2004
Allez is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome