Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt? - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
mojo37_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 234
                     
Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

Okay. I have been watching the Hopman Cup and the man is playing quite bad really. He's lucky Gisela Dulko is pulling her weight big time. So is he really useless in hardcourt? Will Gaston "Useless in hardcourt" Gaudio win a title in harcourt this season?

Visit my blog:

The Offbeat Collective

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously" - Hubert Humphrey
mojo37_12 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 124
                     
Re: Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo37_12
Okay. I have been watching the Hopman Cup and the man is playing quite bad really. He's lucky Gisela Dulko is pulling her weight big time. So is he really useless in hardcourt? Will Gaston "Useless in hardcourt" Gaudio win a title in harcourt this season?
Basing your opinion of a player on a mere exhibition is rather asinine, with all due respect.
Generator is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:38 AM
Registered User
 
revolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Failsworth
Age: 28
Posts: 5,053
                     
Re: Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

He'll never win a HC title, sometimes when I watch him I wonder why he even wins clay titles.

He does have weapons and a game, he just lacks motivation or desire.

I am BUOH, warrior of heart and soul.
revolution is offline  
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
mojo37_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 234
                     
Re: Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generator
Basing your opinion of a player on a mere exhibition is rather asinine, with all due respect.
First of all, an exhibition during the start of the year tends to be more than just a "mere exhibition." Plus, the Hopman Cup is not just any other exhibition tournament because it comes before the Aussie Open and the players play for their country which provides extra incentive to do well.

In fact, in my opinion watching the players play in mere exhibitions with this setup is a good way of seeing a player's skill and drive. If you can't play well for your country... chances are you probably won't do well in lesser situations (in this case other smaller tournaments.)

Visit my blog:

The Offbeat Collective

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously" - Hubert Humphrey
mojo37_12 is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 40
Posts: 399
                     
Re: Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

It's an exhibition and that's all it is and at the start of the year, it is very clear to see who has been doing the off season training and who is not really ready.

Since when did results in exhibitions count for anything? As for being useless on a hardcourt, well it is not like Gaudio has not defeated players that have won GS titles on hardcourts before, at the same time for a guy who is meant to be useless his overall results in 05 on hardcourts in tournaments that counted weren't disastrous.

Can you tell me how it feels to be hated?
Can you tell me how it feels to be loved?
Can you tell me how it feels to be respected?
Or is the answer none of the above

PAW 2006 W Kitzbühel, RU Madrid

PAW results for 2005
W Vienna
SF Roland Garros
QF Palermo, Stuttgart, Bastad
Plastic Bertrand is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 01:37 AM
Registered User
 
rofe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,789
                     
Re: Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generator
Basing your opinion of a player on a mere exhibition is rather asinine, with all due respect.
It really depends on the exhibition. For example, doing well in Kooyong is a good indication of doing well at the AO simply because a lot of the top players use it as a serious tune-up to the AO.

Need ideas for a new signature...
rofe is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 01:50 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 124
                     
Re: Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo37_12
First of all, an exhibition during the start of the year tends to be more than just a "mere exhibition." Plus, the Hopman Cup is not just any other exhibition tournament because it comes before the Aussie Open and the players play for their country which provides extra incentive to do well.

In fact, in my opinion watching the players play in mere exhibitions with this setup is a good way of seeing a player's skill and drive. If you can't play well for your country... chances are you probably won't do well in lesser situations (in this case other smaller tournaments.)
I don't think anyone takes the Hopman Cup too seriously. I mean, the real battle of the nations is obviously the Davis Cup. Maybe the Düsseldorf so-called "world cup" deserves a honorable mention, although its prestige is considerably lower. Hopman Cup is an interesting concept and an entertaining exhibition, but that's all it is.

Let me give you a quick example. Remember last year Safin's disastrous performance at this same exhibition? He played horribly. A few weeks later he was winning the Australian Open. Bottomline is, in no way can we mix exhibitions with real competitive tournaments. The player's motivations are completely different in each case.

Last edited by Generator; 01-05-2006 at 01:54 AM.
Generator is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
mojo37_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 234
                     
Re: Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

I get your point Generator,

But I still think Gaudio sucked in his matches. Losing horribly in any kind of match may it be an exhibition match or not must be terrible for any player. Thing is, we (the fans) don't give too much regard for these exhibition tournaments... well, because they are just that; exhibitions... but on the side of the players... every match should be as important as any match. Exhibition or not. This is true at least for players who truly love and respect the game and those who want to be great.

I think that I have the right to base my opinion regarding how a certain player is playing on their performance in exhibitions tournaments. Because for a player who is really serious about his career, a win is a win and a loss is a loss regardless of what tournament it is.

Can anyone tell me that Gaudio feels fine about those losses just because they were for an exhibition? Exhibitions may seem worthless to the fans but not to the players.

Visit my blog:

The Offbeat Collective

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously" - Hubert Humphrey
mojo37_12 is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:43 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo37_12
I think that I have the right to base my opinion regarding how a certain player is playing on their performance in exhibitions tournaments. Because for a player who is really serious about his career, a win is a win and a loss is a loss regardless of what tournament it is.

Can anyone tell me that Gaudio feels fine about those losses just because they were for an exhibition? Exhibitions may seem worthless to the fans but not to the players.
Are you being serious?

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
mojo37_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 234
                     
Re: Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Are you being serious?
Call me idealistic and all but yeah I am.

Visit my blog:

The Offbeat Collective

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously" - Hubert Humphrey
mojo37_12 is offline  
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:47 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo37_12
Call me idealistic and all but yeah I am.
Thanks for the clarification, just checking and yes idealistic is a fair description.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:51 AM
Comparisons are Odious
 
mangoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Catching the vigorous horse of my mind......
Posts: 10,541
                     
Re: Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

Well, I think I'll add my two cents even though many may disagree. I think a lot of these losses on Gaudio's part has to do with laziness and a lack of will. If Gaudio really wants to exert himself in a hardcourt match, it's a completely different match. Example, the match he played against Agassi during either Indian Wells or Miami Masters in 05. It was obvious that Gaudio wanted to win that match and he played really great tennis against Agassi.



Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline  
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
mojo37_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 234
                     
Re: Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Thanks for the clarification, just checking and yes idealistic is a fair description.
Yup. Too much for my own good sometimes.

Visit my blog:

The Offbeat Collective

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously" - Hubert Humphrey
mojo37_12 is offline  
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 05:10 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes
It was obvious that Gaudio wanted to win that match and he played really great tennis against Agassi.
He didn't play great tennis that is an exaggeration and he didn't think that he could win either of those matches. Played a few good shots that's all.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 05:41 AM
country flag gsm
Registered User
 
gsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 947
                     
Re: Gaudio = Useless in hardcourt?

there's a $1000000 in prize money + playing as a team means you are not entitled to slack off simply because its an exhibition, unless of course you are selfish.
gsm is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome