of these big servers, who had the most talent? - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
World Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,922
                     
of these big servers, who had the most talent?

i am listing players who have as their #1 weapon, the serve and the rest of their arsenal is much weaker.

so none of the greats with big serves are considered.

ivanisevic
krajicek
rusedski
tanner
phillippoussis
ljubicic
roddick
todd martin


also this is a question of talent, not achievement.

i would have made a poll...but i dont know how too.
World Beater is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 12:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Federerthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: french national residing in australia
Posts: 810
                     
Re: of these big servers, who had the most talent?

Philippoussis, the others in the list don't even come close
Federerthebest is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,402
                     
Re: of these big servers, who had the most talent?

I would have put Sampras in this list too.
jtipson is offline  
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
World Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,922
                     
Re: of these big servers, who had the most talent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtipson
I would have put Sampras in this list too.
well he has other tools though and was more mentally tough...it would have been a wash, if he was in it though


i actually like krajicek in this one.
World Beater is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Registered User
 
Trivial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 228
                     
Re: of these big servers, who had the most talent?

Huh? Isnt the list you have posted a list of players who should NOT be considered?
Trivial is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 03:38 PM
_._._._._._
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 72,524
                     
Re: of these big servers, who had the most talent?

Todd Martin probably.

He wasn't as big a server as the rest on the list. He had great feel on his volleys, and his groundies were solid on both wings.
adee-gee is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
World Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,922
                     
Re: of these big servers, who had the most talent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivial
Huh? Isnt the list you have posted a list of players who should NOT be considered?
none of them were true greats...

otherwise, we could include becker, sampras etc.

they did not win multiple slams
World Beater is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 03:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Age: 28
Posts: 5,383
                     
Re: of these big servers, who had the most talent?

Roddick
AgassiDomination is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Registered User
 
Trivial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 228
                     
Re: of these big servers, who had the most talent?

Quote:
Roddick
Have to agree, maybe has a poor backhand but his forehand is definetly a weapon.
Trivial is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Registered User
 
Frederick16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Age: 27
Posts: 1,810
                     
Re: of these big servers, who had the most talent?

krajicek. best head 2 head against sampras and agassi. won titels on all surfaces!! very underestimated always!!

Rosenberg Bremens Hattrick hero!!

Jag är stolt att va svensk!!!

I hate Lagerback!

Ja, jag vill leva jag vill dö i Norden!!!!!!!

27 May until 2 June -> Paris, Roland Garros
Frederick16 is offline  
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Registered User
 
DrJules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,594
                     
Re: of these big servers, who had the most talent?

Why is Richard Krajicek on this list. He is the only who went on court against Pete Sampras expecting to win.

Richard Krajicek (NED) vs. Pete Sampras (USA)
1993-03-08 Key Biscayne Hardcourt QF Pete Sampras (USA) 6-3 7-6(7)
1993-08-02 Los Angeles Hardcourt SF Richard Krajicek (NED) 6-4 3-6 7-6(3)
1994-07-15 Davis Cup (WG-QF) NED vs. USA Hardcourt RR Richard Krajicek (NED) 2-6 7-5 7-6 7-5
1994-10-31 Paris Indoor Carpet R16 Pete Sampras (USA) 6-4 7-6(3)
1996-06-24 Wimbledon Grass QF Richard Krajicek (NED) 7-5 7-6(3) 6-4
1997-10-20 Stuttgart Indoor Carpet R16 Richard Krajicek (NED) 6-4 6-4
1998-10-26 Stuttgart Indoor Carpet SF Richard Krajicek (NED) 6-7(2) 6-4 7-6(5)
1999-03-15 Key Biscayne Hardcourt QF Richard Krajicek (NED) 6-2 7-6(6)
1999-08-09 Cincinnati Hardcourt QF Pete Sampras (USA) 6-4 6-2
2000-08-28 U.S. Open Hardcourt QF Pete Sampras (USA) 4-6 7-6(6) 6-4 6-2
Richard Krajicek (NED) leads 6:4 (winning 6 out of 7 from Aug1993-Mar1999)

Last edited by DrJules; 12-14-2005 at 05:26 PM.
DrJules is offline  
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
World Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,922
                     
Re: of these big servers, who had the most talent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules
Why is Richard Krajicek on this list. He is the only who went on court against Pete Sampras expecting to win.

Richard Krajicek (NED) vs. Pete Sampras (USA)
1993-03-08 Key Biscayne Hardcourt QF Pete Sampras (USA) 6-3 7-6(7)
1993-08-02 Los Angeles Hardcourt SF Richard Krajicek (NED) 6-4 3-6 7-6(3)
1994-07-15 Davis Cup (WG-QF) NED vs. USA Hardcourt RR Richard Krajicek (NED) 2-6 7-5 7-6 7-5
1994-10-31 Paris Indoor Carpet R16 Pete Sampras (USA) 6-4 7-6(3)
1996-06-24 Wimbledon Grass QF Richard Krajicek (NED) 7-5 7-6(3) 6-4
1997-10-20 Stuttgart Indoor Carpet R16 Richard Krajicek (NED) 6-4 6-4
1998-10-26 Stuttgart Indoor Carpet SF Richard Krajicek (NED) 6-7(2) 6-4 7-6(5)
1999-03-15 Key Biscayne Hardcourt QF Richard Krajicek (NED) 6-2 7-6(6)
1999-08-09 Cincinnati Hardcourt QF Pete Sampras (USA) 6-4 6-2
2000-08-28 U.S. Open Hardcourt QF Pete Sampras (USA) 4-6 7-6(6) 6-4 6-2
Richard Krajicek (NED) leads 6:4 (winning 6 out of 7 from Aug1993-Mar1999)
the fact that he beat sampras had nothing to do with the purpose of the thread. he still won one grand slam and had his mental difficulties with other players esp courier and goran. all the guys on the list have big serves but the rest of their game was meek in comparison. i feel that if richard had some luck with his injuries and he was stronger mentally, he would have been more special.
World Beater is offline  
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Registered User
 
DrJules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,594
                     
Re: of these big servers, who had the most talent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater
the fact that he beat sampras had nothing to do with the purpose of the thread. he still won one grand slam and had his mental difficulties with other players esp courier and goran. all the guys on the list have big serves but the rest of their game was meek in comparison. i feel that if richard had some luck with his injuries and he was stronger mentally, he would have been more special.
Agreed the thread was not about that he beat Sampras, but you do need far more than a serve to be that successful against Sampras. Richard of course had a very good forehand and had a good net game. Injuries were the main limitation rather than mental issues.
DrJules is offline  
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
World Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,922
                     
Re: of these big servers, who had the most talent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules
Agreed the thread was not about that he beat Sampras, but you do need far more than a serve to be that successful against Sampras. Richard of course had a very good forehand and had a good net game. Injuries were the main limitation rather than mental issues.
right, but he should have been more consistent

everybody on the list has their serve as the primary weapon. they have others too or else they wouldnt be as good. but these other tools are nowhere near as consistent.

when flip was on, he could blow anyone off the baseline with his groundstrokes. but most of the time he misfired.

goran was very similar and so was todd martin.

krajicek coughed up a bunch of matches he should have won. i remember most notably his match against edberg at the uso. he had a break in the fifth and still lost it. he lost a lot of close matches against goran esp in wimbledon.

the match against sampras at the usopen, he should have won as well. he had 4 set pts in the tie break
World Beater is offline  
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Registered User
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 7,934
                     
Re: of these big servers, who had the most talent?

Goran and Richard were great volleyers and accomplished beyond their lone slam titles at Wimbledon. Richard had a great game overall but suffered from the giant syndrome and got some injuries otherwise he would have likely won more slam titles. Richard could also play on clay.
Dirk is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome