Meaning of the word " Choke " - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: Is choking exagerated?
Yes 11 78.57%
No, vast bulk of the time the term is applied correctly 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 05:11 AM
Registered User
 
CmonAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fukuoka
Age: 38
Posts: 4,618
                     
Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

****
--->>
Coria @ FO 2004: leading the final 6-0, 6-3, 4-3 & bps in the next game, plus mps in the 5th set!
That was one of the chokes of the last decade!

McEnroe @ FO 1984: ~~this match is legendary!! Bad Mac just couldn`t keep it together & to lose against choker Lendl made it all the more dramatic!!
CmonAussie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 373
                     
Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

"Choke" best applies to a situation when a player had the match already wrapped up, when at the last minute "something" came up, resulting in a different ending. One "classic" example may be a match in which Player A was leading 6-0, 6-0, 6-5 in the first 3 sets, but after the battlesmoke had cleared, it was Player B who came out on top (winning the remaining sets, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6). I believe this has happened a number of times before. Comparable with the Roddick-Gasquet FO semifinals match perhaps?
bayvalle is offline  
post #48 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Registered User
 
Puschkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 15,912
                     
Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayvalle View Post
"Choke" best applies to a situation when a player had the match already wrapped up, when at the last minute "something" came up, resulting in a different ending. One "classic" example may be a match in which Player A was leading 6-0, 6-0, 6-5 in the first 3 sets, but after the battlesmoke had cleared, it was Player B who came out on top (winning the remaining sets, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6). I believe this has happened a number of times before. Comparable with the Roddick-Gasquet FO semifinals match perhaps?
It was in Wimbledon and Roddick did not choke in my understanding of the word.

______________________________

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline  
post #49 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Age: 33
Posts: 6,071
                     
Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
It was in Wimbledon and Roddick did not choke in my understanding of the word.
ReturnWinner is offline  
post #50 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 373
                     
Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
It was in Wimbledon and Roddick did not choke in my understanding of the word.
Wimbledon, yes. Thanks.
bayvalle is offline  
post #51 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Registered User
 
musefanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: In Monaco harbour waiting for next week's GP with a drunken Kimi
Age: 26
Posts: 8,267
                     
Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

I always think of a choke as a player who is on the brink of winning, and suddenly can't either close the match, or lets his opponent back in so that his opponent wins the match. I can't see how losing a set from 5-1 up is a choke, because your opponent could just be swinging at the ball and coming up lucky, as they feel they have nothing to lose. But when you are in a sure position of winning, your opponent looks dead and buried and then suddenly you cock up or something, then as far as i'm concerned that's a choke.

Kimi Raikkonen 2007 F1 World Champion

15 wins- 14 poles- 456 points

Murray HenmanNieminen Ferrero Federer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara_M View Post
oh then i come to share the bed
musefanatic is offline  
post #52 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Registered User
 
madmanfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,105
                     
Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

obviously the word choke is overused big time here.
But there was an example of a choke recently: Calleri leading 6-0 5-1 i think and still lost

Hi all, i'm peter and i'm a huge fan of Pat Rafter
madmanfool is offline  
post #53 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanfool View Post
obviously the word choke is overused big time here.
But there was an example of a choke recently: Calleri leading 6-0 5-1 i think and still lost
I typed that earlier about Calleri/Koubek.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #54 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:22 PM
2011 Here we go again!
 
Baghdatis72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CY
Age: 33
Posts: 10,542
                     
Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

Choke is the feeling that someone gets when the stress and anxiety is really high and the feeling of choking is present. That feels like a psychological choke and the whole body feels like paralysed.

A player chokes imo when at some important points of the match he can't live up to the expectation of the moment and gets that "choking" feeling which leads to stupid mistakes and a loss.

Nalbandian Del Potro Sampras Agassi

The Present - The Past
Baghdatis72 is offline  
post #55 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Registered User
 
Rumour's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hapa na Pale
Posts: 2,724
                     
Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghdatis72 View Post
Choke is the feeling that someone gets when the stress and anxiety is really high and the feeling of choking is present. That feels like a psychological choke and the whole body feels like paralysed.

A player chokes imo when at some important points of the match he can't live up to the expectation of the moment and gets that "choking" feeling which leads to stupid mistakes and a loss.
This is the typical choke as most of us would envision it, but there is also the reverse i.e. when someone is so sure of winning and overconfident that he or she spontaneously does something silly that ends up resulting in defeat. I can't think of any specific tennis examples but there was one famous incident at the last Winter Olympics when a female downhill snowboarder (whose name escapes me now) had a huge lead in the gold medal run. With the finish line literally a few metres away and none of her fellow competitors even in the camera shot, she decided to do a fancy jump and fell flat on her face By the time she had gotten back up to complete the race someone had already passed her and she barely managed to hang onto a medal, let alone losing the gold.

Rmr

The only thing you owe the public is a good performance.
Humphrey Bogart [1899-1957]
Rumour is offline  
post #56 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 05:43 PM
2011 Here we go again!
 
Baghdatis72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CY
Age: 33
Posts: 10,542
                     
Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumour View Post
This is the typical choke as most of us would envision it, but there is also the reverse i.e. when someone is so sure of winning and overconfident that he or she spontaneously does something silly that ends up resulting in defeat. I can't think of any specific tennis examples but there was one famous incident at the last Winter Olympics when a female downhill snowboarder (whose name escapes me now) had a huge lead in the gold medal run. With the finish line literally a few metres away and none of her fellow competitors even in the camera shot, she decided to do a fancy jump and fell flat on her face By the time she had gotten back up to complete the race someone had already passed her and she barely managed to hang onto a medal, let alone losing the gold.
Well that wouldn't be called a choke but overconfident stupidity

Nalbandian Del Potro Sampras Agassi

The Present - The Past
Baghdatis72 is offline  
post #57 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,903
                     
Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghdatis72 View Post
Choke is the feeling that someone gets when the stress and anxiety is really high and the feeling of choking is present. That feels like a psychological choke and the whole body feels like paralysed.

A player chokes imo when at some important points of the match he can't live up to the expectation of the moment and gets that "choking" feeling which leads to stupid mistakes and a loss.
Agreed. You get into a winning position, get nervous (tight) and can't execute your shots anymore. Everything goes downhill from there. That's a choke. Period.
Myrre is offline  
post #58 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghdatis72 View Post
Choke is the feeling that someone gets when the stress and anxiety is really high and the feeling of choking is present. That feels like a psychological choke and the whole body feels like paralysed.

A player chokes imo when at some important points of the match he can't live up to the expectation of the moment and gets that "choking" feeling which leads to stupid mistakes and a loss.
Examples

Calleri vs. Koubek plus Coria vs. Gaudio as explained before.

Acasuso vs. Ferrer in Stuttgart last year, Chucho leading 2 sets to 1 and up 5-1 in the 4th and served for twice and got tentative and realised it was going to be his biggest tournament win and shat himself.

You get the meaning of the word.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #59 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Registered User
 
madmanfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,105
                     
Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Du Rieux View Post
I typed that earlier about Calleri/Koubek.
well please forgive me mister moderator, i didn't read all four pages..

Hi all, i'm peter and i'm a huge fan of Pat Rafter
madmanfool is offline  
post #60 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanfool View Post
well please forgive me mister moderator, i didn't read all four pages..
It's not like it's a massive thread.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome