Federer optimistic for Shanghai - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
1,000 Baby!
 
nobama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jony Ive's design cave
Posts: 19,909
                     
Federer optimistic for Shanghai

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4390500.stm

Roger Federer is optimistic he will be fit to play in the season-ending Masters Cup in a fortnight as he recovers from a torn ankle ligament.

The world number one was on crutches for two weeks after sustaining the injury in training earlier this month.

"I'm walking now," he said. "I'm taping the ankle a lot, but that helps me to put weight on it.

"I'm optimistic, but it's hard to tell. Shanghai means everything. That's what I'm working on right now, I'm hopeful."

Federer is among several qualifiers struggling to be fit for the event starting on 13 November.

Marat Safin has already been ruled out with knee problems, Andre Agassi has been inactive since losing the US Open final to Federer while Lleyton Hewitt could miss it to attend the birth of his first child.

nobama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:00 PM
Registered User
 
oneandonlyhsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a Roger Marat Sandwhich
Age: 33
Posts: 9,433
                     
Re: Federer optimistic for Shanghai

Finally some good news straight from Rogi, get well soon Rogi its too boring right now without you

My great tennis loves-Roger Federer, Paul Henry Mathieu and Marat Safin

Grigor Dimitrov & David Goffin - The future of tennis

Allez - Jerzy Janowicz, Jose Acasuso , Lleyton, Djokovic, Nalbandian, Clement, Nicolas Almagro, Stanislas Wawrinka

Ai Se Eu Te Pego - Michel Telo
oneandonlyhsn is offline  
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:03 PM
Registered User
 
R.Federer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,821
                     
Re: Federer optimistic for Shanghai

Get well quickly Roge!
R.Federer is offline  
post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
1,000 Baby!
 
nobama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jony Ive's design cave
Posts: 19,909
                     
Re: Federer optimistic for Shanghai




nobama is offline  
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sneek
Posts: 46
                     
Re: Federer optimistic for Shanghai

they showed that in basel on eurosport. between the first and the second set of the final. he said he hoped to be fit for shanghai, but he counted on it. atleast, that is how I remember.
Roos is offline  
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Comparisons are Odious
 
mangoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Catching the vigorous horse of my mind......
Posts: 10,541
                     
Re: Federer optimistic for Shanghai

I just don't think Roger will be ready.

I think Andre might make an appearance, but if Lleyton's child is due, then I wouldn't even expect him to be there. The birth of his child is a moment he shouldn't miss.



Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline  
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
1,000 Baby!
 
nobama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jony Ive's design cave
Posts: 19,909
                     
Re: Federer optimistic for Shanghai

My foot is finally feeling a little better and I've been off crutches for almost a week now, Federer told crowd before the final of the Swiss Indoor tournament on Sunday. The countdown is obviously running with just two weeks to go until Shanghai but I hope it works out.

nobama is offline  
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Comparisons are Odious
 
mangoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Catching the vigorous horse of my mind......
Posts: 10,541
                     
Re: Federer optimistic for Shanghai

Mirkaland, where are those pics from?



Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline  
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:37 PM
country flag wcr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 516
                     
Re: Federer optimistic for Shanghai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4390500.stm

Roger Federer is optimistic he will be fit to play in the season-ending Masters Cup in a fortnight as he recovers from a torn ankle ligament.

The world number one was on crutches for two weeks after sustaining the injury in training earlier this month.

"I'm walking now," he said. "I'm taping the ankle a lot, but that helps me to put weight on it.

"I'm optimistic, but it's hard to tell. Shanghai means everything. That's what I'm working on right now, I'm hopeful."

Federer is among several qualifiers struggling to be fit for the event starting on 13 November.

Marat Safin has already been ruled out with knee problems, Andre Agassi has been inactive since losing the US Open final to Federer while Lleyton Hewitt could miss it to attend the birth of his first child.
Given the great medical expertise Roger has around him, and that he was crutches for 2 weeks following the injury, I don't see how he'll recover in time to play that event.

I had a 2nd degree sprain on my right foot from a tennis mishap. I was on crutches for 2-1/2 days (over a weekend) until I could see my ortho-surgeon. I went directly from his office to a physical therapist's office and started rehabilitation work on day 3. From that moment, I was able to walk without crutches and pain. It took another 10 days for the swelling to come down so that both ankles matched in size. Until the swelling was down, I was not allowed on a tennis court and, even then, all I was allowed to do was stand in one place and hit forehands. No movement whatsoever. It was 6 weeks before I was able to resume play and had to tape my foot and wear a protective brace (you see these on Roddick's and Hewitt's feet).

If Roger's recovery (2 weeks on crutches) is slower than mine, he won't be playing Shanghai unless some phsyician in Switzerland has invented some spectacular miracle cure.
wcr is offline  
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
1,000 Baby!
 
nobama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jony Ive's design cave
Posts: 19,909
                     
Re: Federer optimistic for Shanghai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes
Mirkaland, where are those pics from?
The tournament in Basel. Roger was given a trophy for being named Laureus Sportsman of the Year back in May. I guess he will be there to hand out the trophy to whoever wins today.

nobama is offline  
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Comparisons are Odious
 
mangoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Catching the vigorous horse of my mind......
Posts: 10,541
                     
Re: Federer optimistic for Shanghai

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr
Given the great medical expertise Roger has around him, and that he was crutches for 2 weeks following the injury, I don't see how he'll recover in time to play that event.

I had a 2nd degree sprain on my right foot from a tennis mishap. I was on crutches for 2-1/2 days (over a weekend) until I could see my ortho-surgeon. I went directly from his office to a physical therapist's office and started rehabilitation work on day 3. From that moment, I was able to walk without crutches and pain. It took another 10 days for the swelling to come down so that both ankles matched in size. Until the swelling was down, I was not allowed on a tennis court and, even then, all I was allowed to do was stand in one place and hit forehands. No movement whatsoever. It was 6 weeks before I was able to resume play and had to tape my foot and wear a protective brace (you see these on Roddick's and Hewitt's feet).

If Roger's recovery (2 weeks on crutches) is slower than mine, he won't be playing Shanghai unless some phsyician in Switzerland has invented some spectacular miracle cure.
I agree. I was thinking the same thing, that's why, I just don't see Roger going to Shanghai.



Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline  
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Comparisons are Odious
 
mangoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Catching the vigorous horse of my mind......
Posts: 10,541
                     
Re: Federer optimistic for Shanghai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland
The tournament in Basel. Roger was given a trophy for being named Laureus Sportsman of the Year back in May. I guess he will be there to hand out the trophy to whoever wins today.
Oh nice...............thanks. He really looks very nice.



Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline  
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
1,000 Baby!
 
nobama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jony Ive's design cave
Posts: 19,909
                     
Re: Federer optimistic for Shanghai

Well he said he's optimistic, but that doesn't mean it's a for sure thing. If he gets on a tennis court and the footwork isn't there and he's still feeling pain he'll pull out no matter how much he wants to play.

nobama is offline  
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:45 PM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,739
                     
Re: Federer optimistic for Shanghai

On a serious note, I hope Roger does what's best for his health. It's got to be a tremendous temptation to push it to play Shanghai particularly since I'm sure he thinks he can beat his opponents there even if he isn't playing at 100%.

On a non-serious note: Is Fed trying to take the place Johnny Cash vacated??
star is offline  
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:47 PM
country flag wcr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 516
                     
Re: Federer optimistic for Shanghai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland
Well he said he's optimistic, but that doesn't mean it's a for sure thing. If he gets on a tennis court and the footwork isn't there and he's still feeling pain he'll pull out no matter how much he wants to play.
"Optimistic" is Roger trying to breath some life into his disappointed fans. He's probably trying to figure out if he needs surgery and that could set him back beyond the AO if it's true and he doesn't do it right away.

The fact that he was on crutches for 2 weeks says it all to me.

I'd love to hear the specifics about the injury. Exactly how it happened. Ankles just don't roll over and snap without strange provocation. Were his ankles weak, he would have had warning signs.

I hope I'm wrong.
wcr is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome