Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
_._._._._._
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 72,524
                     
Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye

Does no-one else hate the idea?

I find one of the most fascinating aspects of tennis is how players respond to bad line calls.

Who can forget the likes of Tarango, Mcenroe etc. I love seeing players argue with umpires. It gets the crowd involved. It gets players wound up and you get some real characters coming out. I love the fact that human error is part and parcel of the game. Sure, there have been times when bad line calls have annoyed the hell out of me but I still like the fact that mistakes can be made.

Ditch the idea

Last edited by adee-gee; 10-17-2005 at 06:39 PM.
adee-gee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Not a Registered User
 
El Legenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: US of A
Posts: 30,181
                     
Re: Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye

i rather see a player not get fudged by bad call then a player aruge with ump and nothing gets done.

El Legenda is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 13,139
                     
Re: Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye

I would rather not see an another episode like this year at the French open where Rafa did nothing wrong but was made to suffer over a poor excution by an umpire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Anyone who says any player has no chance against Dolgopolov is clearly trolling.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline  
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
_._._._._._
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 72,524
                     
Re: Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySeinfeld
i rather see a player not get fudged by bad call then a player aruge with ump and nothing gets done.
Are you telling me....for example, you didn't enjoy the classic Roddick/Diaz incident vs Hewitt at the US Open 2001. Yes, Roddick was unlucky he got a shocker of a call but it was sure as hell entertaining.
adee-gee is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
_._._._._._
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 72,524
                     
Re: Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus
I would rather not see an another episode like this year at the French open where Rafa did nothing wrong but was made to suffer over a poor excution by an umpire.
I presume you're talking about the Grosjean match? Are you suggesting that hawk-eye would've shut that French crowd up? I don't think so
adee-gee is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Banned!
 
prima donna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,319
                     
Re: Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye

I think tennis would be better off that way, personally.
prima donna is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Registered User
 
R.Federer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,821
                     
Re: Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee
Does no-one else hate the idea?

I find one of the most fascinating aspects of tennis is how players respond to bad line calls.

Ditch the idea

Well, its not like the players are going to accept hawk-eye as the truth and not show their anger. hawk-eye is not precise, and the players know it as much as we do. I don't think there will be lack of tempers shown
R.Federer is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 13,139
                     
Re: Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee
I presume you're talking about the Grosjean match? Are you suggesting that hawk-eye would've shut that French crowd up? I don't think so

Yea, they could have showed the correct call on the jumbo tron.

Second of all there's no way hawk-eye will take away the characters in tennis. Are you telling me Marat Safin won't smash his racquet anymore, Andy won't curse when he hits a lose forehand, and Hewitt won't c'mon after...well every fucking point he wins?

This system will make tennis better. The more calls that are made correctly, the better it is for the sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Anyone who says any player has no chance against Dolgopolov is clearly trolling.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
_._._._._._
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 72,524
                     
Re: Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus
Yea, they could have showed the correct call on the jumbo tron.

Second of all there's no way hawk-eye will take away the characters in tennis. Are you telling me Marat Safin won't smash his racquet anymore, Andy won't curse when he hits a lose forehand, and Hewitt won't c'mon after...well every fucking point he wins?

This system will make tennis better. The more calls that are made correctly, the better it is for the sport.
It still wouldn't have shut them up

I agree, there will be elements of frustration from players that are hotheads, and the odd c'mon from Hewitt, vamos from Nadal etc. But I love it when players feel they have been hard done by with a line call, and then they really start to show some emotions.

I find it the same for every sport. Its all part and parcel of sport that there will be human error. It would take away a lot of the excitement and controversy in football for example if we got a machine to call offsides and everything.
adee-gee is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:02 PM
-
 
Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Posts: 24,630
                     
Re: Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye

I want to see some characters and lots of emotions, but whatever has the chance to help assisting to make a fair line call gets my nod.

Carlos --- C'MON Lleyton!!! --- Kiwi!!! --- Jürgen --- Juan

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline  
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 13,139
                     
Re: Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee
It still wouldn't have shut them up

I agree, there will be elements of frustration from players that are hotheads, and the odd c'mon from Hewitt, vamos from Nadal etc. But I love it when players feel they have been hard done by with a line call, and then they really start to show some emotions.

I find it the same for every sport. Its all part and parcel of sport that there will be human error. It would take away a lot of the excitement and controversy in football for example if we got a machine to call offsides and everything.

Players pump them selves up with bad calls but, perhaps they will find other ways to pump themselves up like winning money.

Arguing calls is good fun, but, challenging them will only add to the excitement. This time the arguing will actually get somewhere with a definitive answer.

Oh and to answer something you said before the camera system is very acurate. The percentage of error on the newest machines is under 1 percent.

This is only a win win situation for tennis. Can you imagine the joy you will have when a bad call goes against one of your favorites and it's overuled after a debate and a review using shot spot? I think it will bake my muffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Anyone who says any player has no chance against Dolgopolov is clearly trolling.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline  
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Registered User
 
Loremaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,810
                     
Re: Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee
Are you telling me....for example, you didn't enjoy the classic Roddick/Diaz incident vs Hewitt at the US Open 2001. Yes, Roddick was unlucky he got a shocker of a call but it was sure as hell entertaining.
It was great it showed how important this much was for Roddick - he showed great passion to win
and I liked when he was "talking: with umpire during Queens 2003 vs Agassi he told umpire: "You're an idiot, God" But Roddick argues very much and I've always liked it
Loremaster is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:08 PM
Registered User
 
Turkeyballs Paco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,265
                     
Re: Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye

It doesn't matter what we think about it, if it happens, there's nothing we can do to stop it. I think the money should be used for something else, since it probably won't be on every court due to the cost, so why bother? They've been saying it's coming for ages and still nothing, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Turkeyballs Paco is offline  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
_._._._._._
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 72,524
                     
Re: Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus
Players pump them selves up with bad calls but, perhaps they will find other ways to pump themselves up like winning money.

Arguing calls is good fun, but, challenging them will only add to the excitement. This time the arguing will actually get somewhere with a definitive answer.

Oh and to answer something you said before the camera system is very acurate. The percentage of error on the newest machines is under 1 percent.

This is only a win win situation for tennis. Can you imagine the joy you will have when a bad call goes against one of your favorites and it's overuled after a debate and a review using shot spot? I think it will bake my muffins
Pah, like money really matters to most of the top players anyway.

Some fair points, I still like the idea that a player gets to challenge 1 or 2 calls a match. If you've used up your share then its tough luck. I mean, how often are we going to have umpires going to check a call. Its undermining their authority, is there any point in having umpires and line judges in tennis anymore if everytime we get a close call its going to be checked out.

Also, as a player/fan I can envisage a situation where someone hits a ball very close to a line on a big point. However, you can't have your natural reaction like a c'mon or a vamos because there is a possibility it could get checked and then overturned. I fancy this could get annoying.
adee-gee is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
_._._._._._
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 72,524
                     
Re: Death of characters in tennis will result due to hawk-eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chassie
It doesn't matter what we think about it, if it happens, there's nothing we can do to stop it.
we can't change anything in tennis, but we can still debate about it!
adee-gee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome