fav tactic to defeat a good player - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6
 
fav tactic to defeat a good player

i have a match coming up against a really good player. anyone got any tactics i could use.

and whats ur fav tactic to achieving victory against the odds?
mango is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 939
                     
Re: fav tactic to defeat a good player

Good players like to get into a rythm. Don't let him. Feed him some junk by mixing up your shots with slice or topspin. Run down every ball and make no unforced errors.
David Kenzie is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Registered User
 
Domino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Everywhere
Age: 34
Posts: 2,635
                     
Re: fav tactic to defeat a good player

My favorite is running them. No matter how good a player is, once his legs are gone, he can't execute his game as well. Just go short angle crosscourt, two forehands, one backhand, one forehand, two backhands, dtl slice, then an inside out forehand. Mix it up often, and keep him corner to corner. Keep the angles as sharp as you safely can, and after the first set (Or even the first four games) he'll be panting, and prime for you to step up your game.

Yogurt
Domino is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Registered User
 
fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: germany
Age: 32
Posts: 2,140
                     
Re: fav tactic to defeat a good player

yep, running is a good idea. recently i beat a (normally much better) player just by keeping the balls in. i didn't try to make any pressure, just hit every ball back with safety, not risking an unforced error. he got impatient very soon and started to produce unforced errors all over the court. he even tried to serve-and-volley at the end


if that doesn't help, try cheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburII View Post
Monaco decided to stop playing tennis for real and dedicate to other things, like going on tv, twitter, and posing nude.
fabolous is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Fed Fo Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On vacation...
Age: 46
Posts: 11,233
                     
Re: fav tactic to defeat a good player

Depends. Do they have a weak area? BH on the run? Midcourt shots? Usually the 2nd serve is attackable. If one is a huge underdog, the I agree with Gouzo: mix in the junk and throw them off of their game. I've seen it work so many times, even on the ATP level with Brad Gilbert and once with Ramesh Krishnan.
NYCtennisfan is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Banned!
 
prima donna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,319
                     
Re: fav tactic to defeat a good player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino
My favorite is running them. No matter how good a player is, once his legs are gone, he can't execute his game as well. Just go short angle crosscourt, two forehands, one backhand, one forehand, two backhands, dtl slice, then an inside out forehand. Mix it up often, and keep him corner to corner. Keep the angles as sharp as you safely can, and after the first set (Or even the first four games) he'll be panting, and prime for you to step up your game.
Easier said than done.

What makes a good player good, is the ability to turn defense into offense. So much for your strategy of running them around, unless you're extremely efficient (Andre Agassi is a prime example) then I highly doubt that you'd be able to weather the storm of a superior talent/shotmaker.

All of this is good in theory, but realistically very tough to apply against a good player.

In fairness to Domino, there isn't enough information given by the Author of this thread regarding his opponent. If your opponent is an offensive juggernaut, just try to beat him with blue-collar tennis and be consistent. Don't beat yourself. Grinders have a game built to breakdown any player on any day, because if you're off and they're on ... big trouble.

Play contra-tennis with him (David Nalbandian is a prime example), use his pace against him, give him no pace, get in his head, keep the ball in play and don't beat yourself. Your only chance is to outlast him, otherwise you could be blasted off the court if this guy is as good as you say ... depending on your level of play.
prima donna is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Not a Registered User
 
El Legenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: US of A
Posts: 30,181
                     
Re: fav tactic to defeat a good player

20min bathroom break.

El Legenda is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 03:55 PM
country flag Fee
Registered User
 
Fee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Northern California.
Posts: 17,866
                     
Re: fav tactic to defeat a good player

We need a players' forum...

Best twitter posts of the epic match:

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.



Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Registered User
 
Peoples's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,294
                     
Re: fav tactic to defeat a good player

I sometimes have the same problem and haven't figured out what to do... I'm pretty sure that mixing things up but in the same time (and giving priority to) playing extremely safe high % tennis is the right way to go. But I'm an inconsistent player myself and can't manage to change my attacking game without losing all my rhythm. So it simply doesn't work.

fernandogonzález
Peoples is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Registered User
 
MisterQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 17,115
                     
Re: fav tactic to defeat a good player

I don't know how good a player you're talking about, and what your level is.

But depending on his/her style, trying one of the following approaches might work:

1. CONSISTENCY: Don't worry about being aggressive, just get every ball back in the court and keep your errors down. It's amazing how often this can work.

2. FRUSTRATE THE OPPONENT: Try to mix up pace and junk ball. Vary the amount of topspin, throw in some moonballs, use lots of slices and off-pace shots. Change your return position often to get the opponent overthinking on his/her serve, forcing double faults.

3. AGGRESSION: Attack every ball that you can. Give him/her few chances to get a nice rhythm going in rallies. It's lower percentage tennis, but it may be the only way to put a dent in your opponents' game. If you can't match the opponent's movement or consistency, you can at least go down going for your shots. And a few good shots on your part might put some self-doubt in your opponent, changing the momentum.

4. CHANGE COURT POSITIONING: When all else fails, rush the net. Even if your volleys are terrible, your bluff can force errors. Some players aren't used to dealing with someone at net.

Last of the moon-and-volley specialists.

I believe in luck. How else can you explain the success of those you don't like? ---Jean Cocteau

Last edited by MisterQ; 10-10-2005 at 05:05 PM.
MisterQ is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Mom 2 2 Beauties
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: On the deuce side, Looking to Come In
Posts: 11,915
                     
Re: fav tactic to defeat a good player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee
We need a players' forum...
Click here to voice your support:

Tennis Players' Forum

And...not much for me to add here. You've gotten some good advice. Keep the ball in play, try to mix it up and when all else fails, take the 20-minute bathroom break.

I love my girls.
Angle Queen is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Registered User
 
Domino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Everywhere
Age: 34
Posts: 2,635
                     
Re: fav tactic to defeat a good player

Quote:
Originally Posted by myskinaLova
Easier said than done.

What makes a good player good, is the ability to turn defense into offense. So much for your strategy of running them around, unless you're extremely efficient (Andre Agassi is a prime example) then I highly doubt that you'd be able to weather the storm of a superior talent/shotmaker.

All of this is good in theory, but realistically very tough to apply against a good player.

In fairness to Domino, there isn't enough information given by the Author of this thread regarding his opponent. If your opponent is an offensive juggernaut, just try to beat him with blue-collar tennis and be consistent. Don't beat yourself. Grinders have a game built to breakdown any player on any day, because if you're off and they're on ... big trouble.

Play contra-tennis with him (David Nalbandian is a prime example), use his pace against him, give him no pace, get in his head, keep the ball in play and don't beat yourself. Your only chance is to outlast him, otherwise you could be blasted off the court if this guy is as good as you say ... depending on your level of play.

I don't mean to brag, but I consider my strokes very efficient, and I hit my crosscourt angles sufficiently hard enough to prevent most players from hitting offensively off the dead run. I myself am a very offensive player, not a grinder, and from the first ball I try to take initiative, usually with a big serve or return. I find that I can implement this strategy if I believe to be outmatched in shotmaking ability. Otherwise, I play my favorite way, which is winners and net-rushing!

Besides, even at the college level, there isn't anyone with the shotmaking ability to consistantly attack from the dead run for a whole match. People get tired, especially at the highschool level, and it is often the best strategy to run players at that level for the first half of a set. If not to wear them down, then to warm up your game. Hell, shot makers use a lot of energy anyway when they go for shots, if you make them attempt a couple extra, they'll wear down, at any level.

Yogurt
Domino is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Banned!
 
prima donna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,319
                     
Re: fav tactic to defeat a good player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino
I don't mean to brag, but I consider my strokes very efficient, and I hit my crosscourt angles sufficiently hard enough to prevent most players from hitting offensively off the dead run. I myself am a very offensive player, not a grinder, and from the first ball I try to take initiative, usually with a big serve or return. I find that I can implement this strategy if I believe to be outmatched in shotmaking ability. Otherwise, I play my favorite way, which is winners and net-rushing!

Besides, even at the college level, there isn't anyone with the shotmaking ability to consistantly attack from the dead run for a whole match. People get tired, especially at the highschool level, and it is often the best strategy to run players at that level for the first half of a set. If not to wear them down, then to warm up your game. Hell, shot makers use a lot of energy anyway when they go for shots, if you make them attempt a couple extra, they'll wear down, at any level.
The author simply didn't supply enough information, we don't even know what type of player he is or his opponent for that matter.
prima donna is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Registered User
 
Domino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Everywhere
Age: 34
Posts: 2,635
                     
Re: fav tactic to defeat a good player

Quote:
Originally Posted by myskinaLova
The author simply didn't supply enough information, we don't even know what type of player he is or his opponent for that matter.
The question was still, what is OUR fav tactic, not just what he/she should do. I am just saying that is my favorite tactic. True though, it would be nice if the author gave more info.

Yogurt
Domino is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Banned!
 
prima donna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,319
                     
Re: fav tactic to defeat a good player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino
The question was still, what is OUR fav tactic, not just what he/she should do. I am just saying that is my favorite tactic. True though, it would be nice if the author gave more info.
You gave great advice, but I doubt that someone posting on MTF for suggestions on how to beat an opponent is skilled enough to utilize your suggestions which are really for advanced level players.

In this case, all that I'm saying is your advice was good ... probably TOO good.
prima donna is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome