Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy) - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 291
                     
Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy)

I think that if Roger can stay healthy for the next several years, he will pass Pete's all-time record in the next 3-4 years and the reason is because I think he's going to have a much more balanced Grand Slam title haul ala Steffi Graff, who won at least 4 of every major.

12 of Pete's 14 Slams came at Wimby and the US Open. Roger has shown that even if he regards Wimby as the top major, he seems to be equally prepared for all four. The way he went down to Australia to get used to the conditions when he could have been sitting on his couch and relaxing shows that he really wants to win everything he enters.

I think it's a safe bet that Roger will win more than a combined 2 majors from AO and RG. If he can win 3-4 Aussies, and 1-2 French Opens that means he won't have to win as many Wimby's as USO's to pass Pete's record.

The force will be with you, always.
JennyS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Registered User
 
PamV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,671
                     
Re: Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyS
I think that if Roger can stay healthy for the next several years, he will pass Pete's all-time record in the next 3-4 years and the reason is because I think he's going to have a much more balanced Grand Slam title haul ala Steffi Graff, who won at least 4 of every major.

12 of Pete's 14 Slams came at Wimby and the US Open. Roger has shown that even if he regards Wimby as the top major, he seems to be equally prepared for all four. The way he went down to Australia to get used to the conditions when he could have been sitting on his couch and relaxing shows that he really wants to win everything he enters.

I think it's a safe bet that Roger will win more than a combined 2 majors from AO and RG. If he can win 3-4 Aussies, and 1-2 French Opens that means he won't have to win as many Wimby's as USO's to pass Pete's record.
I think he'd have a good chance of winning RG if Nadal wasn't in the way. What about him?

Roger Forever !
PamV is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 56
                     
Re: Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy)

I've always thought Roger Federer was something special when I saw him beat Ivanisevic as a raw 18 year old in London in 2000. I think he can still improve his game to a scary degree over the next couple of years by bringing his serve, net play and smash up to Sampras standard which will make him untouchable at Wimbledon.

It all depend on injury though, his forehand, although fluid is whipped with such an extreme grip that it is hard to see how it can take such a pounding year after year without some sort of damage. His movement will also be a factor as he grows older, when Sampras started to lose his movement he started to lose his dominance as well and relied on his serve to a huge extent. No matter what happens in the next few years, I will be severely shocked if Federer does not rack up over 10 Grandslam titles with the Roland Garros crown among them.
JonnyC21 is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 11:16 PM
Got Premium? I do.
 
Seleshfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 4,058
                     
Re: Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy)

Hi Jonny, welcome to the forum.
Seleshfan is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 58
                     
Re: Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy)

I can't see Federer winning Roland Garros ever. And I see a couple of young guys coming up that have more talent than Federer, so I'm not sure if Fed will get Sampras' slam record.
IMMORTALCHAMP is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 01:04 AM
Registered User
 
Tennis Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Not on the court, obviously.
Age: 43
Posts: 8,752
                     
Re: Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyS
I think that if Roger can stay healthy for the next several years, he will pass Pete's all-time record in the next 3-4 years and the reason is because I think he's going to have a much more balanced Grand Slam title haul ala Steffi Graff, who won at least 4 of every major.
Monica's 1991-1993 run is a better example than Steffi, who was able to win all those majors because of Monica's stabbing.
Tennis Fool is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 01:05 AM
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER
 
Rafa = Fed Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 5,067
                     
Re: Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy)

To win RG Fed has to get by Nadal and I don't think he can do that on clay.
Rafa = Fed Killa is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 01:07 AM
Registered User
 
Tennis Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Not on the court, obviously.
Age: 43
Posts: 8,752
                     
Re: Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMORTALCHAMP
I can't see Federer winning Roland Garros ever. And I see a couple of young guys coming up that have more talent than Federer, so I'm not sure if Fed will get Sampras' slam record.
French guys?
Tennis Fool is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 07:06 AM
Registered User
 
MATTHIAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 467
                     
Re: Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy)

i think the big question is if he is able to win RG
Nadal seems to be the man to beat in Paris
but we will see, Nadal can not allways have such a incredible season like this year, and then Roger need to use his chance
MATTHIAS is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 07:35 AM
Registered User
 
TheMightyFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere in space
Posts: 2,490
                     
Re: Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyC21
I've always thought Roger Federer was something special when I saw him beat Ivanisevic as a raw 18 year old in London in 2000. I think he can still improve his game to a scary degree over the next couple of years by bringing his serve, net play and smash up to Sampras standard which will make him untouchable at Wimbledon.

It all depend on injury though, his forehand, although fluid is whipped with such an extreme grip that it is hard to see how it can take such a pounding year after year without some sort of damage. His movement will also be a factor as he grows older, when Sampras started to lose his movement he started to lose his dominance as well and relied on his serve to a huge extent. No matter what happens in the next few years, I will be severely shocked if Federer does not rack up over 10 Grandslam titles with the Roland Garros crown among them.
Good analysis, footwork and wrist will be the key in Fed longevity...
I think he'll learn a lot from this year semi-final in RG, and if there is one guy who can take a challenge or a tournament seriously and elevate his game when it matters, it's Federer. Now that Nadal is the official clay king, Federer will be the underdorg against him in RG, which will put off some pressure from Fed shoulders. It's a capital point IMO. Federer will win RG and integrate the Laver/Borg/Sampras elite group.

"I asked a bloke in the front row if he liked the serve-and-volley stuff," said Rafter. "He said he did but asked if he was going to get to see any rallies. 'Not today, mate,' I told him."
TheMightyFed is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Registered User
 
ezekiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Age: 37
Posts: 4,023
                     
Re: Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy)

He has his work cut out for him at RG because Nadal is so dedicated it will be very hard to replace him save for injury, not to mention the whole spanish/argentine army of clay courters
ezekiel is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Registered User
 
TheMightyFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere in space
Posts: 2,490
                     
Re: Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel
He has his work cut out for him at RG because Nadal is so dedicated it will be very hard to replace him save for injury, not to mention the whole spanish/argentine army of clay courters
I mean every year people say that the claycourters will beat him, but he's repeteadly beaten Gaudio, Coria, Gonzalez and other Spanish/Argentines on clay... the real threat today is Nadal and his lefty topspin, and the mental barrier that RG could represent, but with 5 titles including 3 masters series, Fed has proven he can beat the best on clay, period.

"I asked a bloke in the front row if he liked the serve-and-volley stuff," said Rafter. "He said he did but asked if he was going to get to see any rallies. 'Not today, mate,' I told him."
TheMightyFed is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Registered User
 
Experimentee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,274
                     
Re: Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy)

He's only had 2 great years on tour. Whenever someone has 2 great years people assume they will keep it up for the rest of their career and break records, but that is almost never the case. It depends on a lot of things, like injuries, loss of form, new players coming up. Thats why players like Pete, who kept up Slam wins for many years, should be respected, as most players cant keep up dominance for long.
Experimentee is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 755
                     
Re: Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy)

Yeah but Federer is different, it took Pete 14 slams for some to consider him the best ever, Federer was already being proclaimed the best when he was 23. I think he will beat Petes record !
jacobhiggins is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 9,170
                     
Re: Why I think Roger will beat Pete's GS record (assuming he stays healthy)

Wayyyyy too early to make that kind of statement. So many things could happen. All he needs is to get injured or lose half a step with his footwork and that would be enough to allow other players to derail him.

The next 3-4 years are key as he will need to maximise his ability as long as his body is still in it's peak years. Come back around 2008 by then we will know if he has a good chance of surpassing Pete's record.
RonE is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome