Multiple GSs in consecutive years - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Phunkadelicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 33
Posts: 14,727
                     
Multiple GSs in consecutive years

If Fed wins the USO that means he will have won Multiple GSs in back to back years. Who was the last player to do that, if any, in the open era?
Phunkadelicious is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 04:19 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,146
                     
Re: Multiple GSs in consecutive years

Sampras in 93-95
JeNn is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Phunkadelicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 33
Posts: 14,727
                     
Re: Multiple GSs in consecutive years

Any one else?
Phunkadelicious is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Phunkadelicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 33
Posts: 14,727
                     
Re: Multiple GSs in consecutive years

I thought that Sampras had done it, but I also thought I had heard a commentator saying that no one had accomplished that for some long span of years. Guess my ears were broken that day
Phunkadelicious is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Phunkadelicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 33
Posts: 14,727
                     
Re: Multiple GSs in consecutive years

has anyone won multiple grand slams the year after winning 3 grand slams? maybe thats what I heard, cuz i know that Sampras never won three slams in a year.
Phunkadelicious is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 04:32 AM
Registered User
 
Flibbertigibbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: You-nited States of America
Posts: 2,235
                     
Re: Multiple GSs in consecutive years

In the Open Era, no. There have been three players before Federer (Open Era) who have won three or more Slams in a year: Laver, Connors, and Wilander. None of them won a Slam the next year - so Federer has already gone one step further on that, and if he wins the US Open, it'll be even better.



I am a fan of Federer, Gasquet, Baghdatis, the long-deceased Safin, Youzhny, Nalbandian, Rochus, Tsonga, the sadly-departed Santoro, and good, hearty, competitive tennis matches. The quality of my life does not rest solely on who wins these matches. In fact, I would even go as far as to say that I can live quite happily after a player I like chokes, mugs, bashes, or otherwise succumbs to a loss.
Flibbertigibbet is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 04:34 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,339
                     
Re: Multiple GSs in consecutive years

what the press meant is that no one has won wimby and uso for 2 consecutive yrs together.

fed has the chance to do that.
megadeth is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 04:35 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 29
                     
Re: Multiple GSs in consecutive years

Sampras won at least two majors in each of these years:93, 94, and 95.

Llendl won at least two majors in each of these years: 86, 87.

Borg won at least two majors in each of these years:78, 79, and 80.

Last edited by BigboyDan; 09-09-2005 at 04:40 AM. Reason: added info
BigboyDan is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Phunkadelicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 33
Posts: 14,727
                     
Re: Multiple GSs in consecutive years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibbertigibbet
In the Open Era, no. There have been three players before Federer (Open Era) who have won three or more Slams in a year: Laver, Connors, and Wilander. None of them won a Slam the next year - so Federer has already gone one step further on that, and if he wins the US Open, it'll be even better.

Thanks for clearing that up for me
Phunkadelicious is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 04:42 AM
Fed Fo Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On vacation...
Age: 45
Posts: 11,233
                     
Re: Multiple GSs in consecutive years

Lendl in the stretch of 85-87 was incredible

85: RG Runner up, Wimbledon 4th round, USO win, Australian Open SF
86: RG win, Wimbledon Runner up, USO win, Australian Open SF
87: Australian Open SF, RG win, Wimbledon Runner up, USO win,
NYCtennisfan is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 05:23 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 6
                     
Re: Multiple GSs in consecutive years

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigboyDan
Sampras won at least two majors in each of these years:93, 94, and 95.

Llendl won at least two majors in each of these years: 86, 87.

Borg won at least two majors in each of these years:78, 79, and 80.
Sampras also won two majors in 97.
jurassic33 is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 08:01 AM
Registered User
 
lucashg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,403
                     
Re: Multiple GSs in consecutive years

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadeth
what the press meant is that no one has won wimby and uso for 2 consecutive yrs together.

fed has the chance to do that.
Venus 00-01.

It'd be amazing if he does it. Go Fed!


Roger Federer

Richard Gasquet, Marcos Baghdatis, Tomas Berdych, Evgeny Korolev, Stanislas Wawrinka, Fabrice Santoro, Paul-Henri Mathieu, etc
.

Proud passenger on The Federer Express

Seat #115
lucashg is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,932
                     
Re: Multiple GSs in consecutive years

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan
Lendl in the stretch of 85-87 was incredible

85: RG Runner up, Wimbledon 4th round, USO win, Australian Open SF
86: RG win, Wimbledon Runner up, USO win, Australian Open SF
87: Australian Open SF, RG win, Wimbledon Runner up, USO win,
Interesting, his results in 86 are identical to 87.
That is actually an exceptional run. Sampras never achieved more than 3 grand slam semi-finals in a row because of his struggles at Roland Garros. But Lendl managed 8 semis in a row and wasn't the Aus Open played on grass back then? Lendl's least favoured surface yet he still did very well. I think this guy was a legend but he's underestimated purely because he never won Wimbledon.
Jimnik is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 03:52 AM
Fed Fo Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On vacation...
Age: 45
Posts: 11,233
                     
Re: Multiple GSs in consecutive years

Quote:
Interesting, his results in 86 are identical to 87.
That is actually an exceptional run. Sampras never achieved more than 3 grand slam semi-finals in a row because of his struggles at Roland Garros. But Lendl managed 8 semis in a row and wasn't the Aus Open played on grass back then? Lendl's least favoured surface yet he still did very well. I think this guy was a legend but he's underestimated purely because he never won Wimbledon.
Lendl was amazing and in all reality was pretty darn good on grass too. If the grass played like it does today, he probably could've won at least one. In any case, he had so many RU and SF finishes on grass that he was actually one of the best players on the surface. It's too bad he played in the era of JMAC, old Connors, Edberg and Becker.
NYCtennisfan is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 05:51 AM
Registered User
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 7,934
                     
Re: Multiple GSs in consecutive years

He has two Queens club titles. Lendl that is.
Dirk is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome