Roger Federer still has no consistent rival - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
TheMightyFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere in space
Posts: 2,490
                     
Roger Federer still has no consistent rival

There was a hype on Nadal following his win in Montreal, but, be it tireness or ball dimension or whatever, he's not there for the real challenge: beating Fed in a Slam final on non-clay surface... by the way I never heard Federer complaining about the balls or bounces or that kind of stuff,
He's still young and he has a great year, but he'll have to be consistently in quarters in slams if he wants to be a threat. His scheduling must be redone, because playing so many matches on clay takes its toll, physically but also in terms of adaptation to other surfaces. Other guys ? I hope a Blake or a Gasquet will be consitent enough in the coming months to propose something new to Fed on his favourite surfaces, because if he keeps the kind of record he has on grass/hard (1 loss in one year), it will lack some spice a bit, don't you think ?

"I asked a bloke in the front row if he liked the serve-and-volley stuff," said Rafter. "He said he did but asked if he was going to get to see any rallies. 'Not today, mate,' I told him."
TheMightyFed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Registered User
 
auwkeung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 115
                     
Re: Roger Federer still has no consistent rival

Gasquet has been going down hill a bit since RG i think

and Roger beat Blake in Cincy......the determining factor should be whether Blake can keep up to the level of play when he played against Nadal
auwkeung is offline  
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Roger Federer still has no consistent rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhubert
There was a hype on Nadal following his win in Montreal, but, be it tireness or ball dimension or whatever, he's not there for the real challenge: beating Fed in a Slam final on non-clay surface... by the way I never heard Federer complaining about the balls or bounces or that kind of stuff,
He's still young and he has a great year, but he'll have to be consistently in quarters in slams if he wants to be a threat. His scheduling must be redone, because playing so many matches on clay takes its toll, physically but also in terms of adaptation to other surfaces. Other guys ? I hope a Blake or a Gasquet will be consitent enough in the coming months to propose something new to Fed on his favourite surfaces, because if he keeps the kind of record he has on grass/hard (1 loss in one year), it will lack some spice a bit, don't you think ?

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Registered User
 
rofe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,789
                     
Re: Roger Federer still has no consistent rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhubert
There was a hype on Nadal following his win in Montreal, but, be it tireness or ball dimension or whatever, he's not there for the real challenge: beating Fed in a Slam final on non-clay surface... by the way I never heard Federer complaining about the balls or bounces or that kind of stuff,
He's still young and he has a great year, but he'll have to be consistently in quarters in slams if he wants to be a threat. His scheduling must be redone, because playing so many matches on clay takes its toll, physically but also in terms of adaptation to other surfaces. Other guys ? I hope a Blake or a Gasquet will be consitent enough in the coming months to propose something new to Fed on his favourite surfaces, because if he keeps the kind of record he has on grass/hard (1 loss in one year), it will lack some spice a bit, don't you think ?
Don't worry, your avatar will take care of Roger on hardcourts Real Soon Now (TM).

Need ideas for a new signature...
rofe is offline  
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Registered User
 
Jogy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,212
                     
Re: Roger Federer still has no consistent rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhubert
by the way I never heard Federer complaining about the balls or bounces or that kind of stuff
after Gasquet match in Monte Carlo he did...
every else fault it was, but not him for losing to Gasquet

in one or two years Federer will be the past and other will have attention

Albert Costa forever +++ Tommy Haas +++ Ivo Karlovic +++ Peter Luczak


RAFA owns Fedclown ~~~ H2H record 14-7 -- ~~~ 3 different GS finals included
Byebye Fedjerk, your dominance period is over! Nadal will win like 10 more Slams!



Zero tolerance against dopers!
Jogy is offline  
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Registered User
 
Shabazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: somewhere at the sea
Age: 34
Posts: 2,650
                     
Re: Roger Federer still has no consistent rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by auwkeung
Gasquet has been going down hill a bit since RG i think
you can't be serious! Gasquet going downhill after RG

mdhubert I agree with you, so I don't have a problem with Roger losing just 1 hc match a year

"This is not about class, colour or races,
let’s get around and see different places,
put a smile on those distant faces,
wipe away your sorrow with no traces."


All the best to the members of the FedererExpress
Shabazza is offline  
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,274
                     
Re: Roger Federer still has no consistent rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhubert
There was a hype on Nadal following his win in Montreal, but, be it tireness or ball dimension or whatever, he's not there for the real challenge: beating Fed in a Slam final on non-clay surface... by the way I never heard Federer complaining about the balls or bounces or that kind of stuff,
He's still young and he has a great year, but he'll have to be consistently in quarters in slams if he wants to be a threat. His scheduling must be redone, because playing so many matches on clay takes its toll, physically but also in terms of adaptation to other surfaces. Other guys ? I hope a Blake or a Gasquet will be consitent enough in the coming months to propose something new to Fed on his favourite surfaces, because if he keeps the kind of record he has on grass/hard (1 loss in one year), it will lack some spice a bit, don't you think ?
Hum, I think I am going to sleep..........
........
.......
BlackSilver is offline  
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 181
                     
Re: Roger Federer still has no consistent rival

I agree...and tennis is the poorer for that....

The Sanguinetti-Srichaphan match proved beyond any doubt that spectators don't need big-time names to really get into a match...they need intense lay-it-on-the-line competition...

I don't care about either of those players emotionally...but for a couple of hours, I did...it was the best tennis of the Open...

Without competition, tennis will survive...but it will never THRIVE

jcm
joycomesmorning is offline  
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
TheMightyFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere in space
Posts: 2,490
                     
Re: Roger Federer still has no consistent rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogy
after Gasquet match in Monte Carlo he did...
every else fault it was, but not him for losing to Gasquet
\
Yoda, is it you ?

"I asked a bloke in the front row if he liked the serve-and-volley stuff," said Rafter. "He said he did but asked if he was going to get to see any rallies. 'Not today, mate,' I told him."
TheMightyFed is offline  
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
TheMightyFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere in space
Posts: 2,490
                     
Re: Roger Federer still has no consistent rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSilver
Hum, I think I am going to sleep..........
........
.......
more than 2 lines seems to be difficult for you... mmmhh, sorry

"I asked a bloke in the front row if he liked the serve-and-volley stuff," said Rafter. "He said he did but asked if he was going to get to see any rallies. 'Not today, mate,' I told him."
TheMightyFed is offline  
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Registered User
 
Shabazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: somewhere at the sea
Age: 34
Posts: 2,650
                     
Re: Roger Federer still has no consistent rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycomesmorning
I agree...and tennis is the poorer for that....

The Sanguinetti-Srichaphan match proved beyond any doubt that spectators don't need big-time names to really get into a match...they need intense lay-it-on-the-line competition...

I don't care about either of those players emotionally...but for a couple of hours, I did...it was the best tennis of the Open...

Without competition, tennis will survive...but it will never THRIVE

jcm
at the Sanguinetti-Srichaphan match

"This is not about class, colour or races,
let’s get around and see different places,
put a smile on those distant faces,
wipe away your sorrow with no traces."


All the best to the members of the FedererExpress
Shabazza is offline  
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 507
                     
Re: Roger Federer still has no consistent rival

I hate Federer's dominance.
He is a genius and I only dislike him because it's in my nature to prefer the underdogs, which every player on the tour is when they face him, except Safin, who i adore for his volatile character and explosive, inspiring game.
Pete had Andre, Becker, Edberg, Chang, Ivanesivic.
Lendl had Wilander, Borg, McEnroe, Becker, Edberg.
Roger has....Safin, Hewitt, Roddick, Agassi, Nadal. All of whom are fab players but Safin is too crazy to be a consistent threat. He just isn't there in the final stages of a tournament to challenge him. Hewitt is a great player but lacks the firepower to blow Fed of court a la Safin and Fed knows exactly how to dismantle him. Roddick is too one dimensional and poses no challenge. Agassi at his peak would have been a challenge but now he is a few steps slower and Fed exploits this. Nadal has Feds number on clay and maybe at the Oz open he could beat him, but forget Wim and US.
In my opinion Fed will dominate Wim and US for next six yeers.
What needs to happen is for a young promising player with a great fast court game to dedicate themselves to their craft and challenge him or for the other players to seek out sports psychologists, get super fit so they can outlast him and keep working hard. Otherwise the atp tour is going to be a great specatcle like a beautiful painting in a gallery, but it's a sport and what we want to see is competition and if we don't get it, well, tennis and it's stars might suffer for it with low viewing figures and smaller paychecks. Hopefully Gasquet and the other newcomers can keep working hard to change the status quo.
I wish i had a sensible answer for why noone can challenge Fed and i think that it's down to safin and nalbandian to get it together and pose a challenge next year.
Billy Moonshine is offline  
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Registered User
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 7,934
                     
Re: Roger Federer still has no consistent rival

Roger complained that the clay court wasn't watered after the 1st set but he gave Richard all the props for that win. If Roger stays healthy he will be one of the top faves are every slam. Richard could be the best of the new bunch. If he stays on course he could have a shot at all the slams. Murray also looks very good and has a smoothness to his game.
Dirk is offline  
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
TheMightyFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere in space
Posts: 2,490
                     
Re: Roger Federer still has no consistent rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Moonshine
I hate Federer's dominance.
He is a genius and I only dislike him because it's in my nature to prefer the underdogs, which every player on the tour is when they face him, except Safin, who i adore for his volatile character and explosive, inspiring game.
Pete had Andre, Becker, Edberg, Chang, Ivanesivic.
Lendl had Wilander, Borg, McEnroe, Becker, Edberg.
Roger has....Safin, Hewitt, Roddick, Agassi, Nadal. All of whom are fab players but Safin is too crazy to be a consistent threat. He just isn't there in the final stages of a tournament to challenge him. Hewitt is a great player but lacks the firepower to blow Fed of court a la Safin and Fed knows exactly how to dismantle him. Roddick is too one dimensional and poses no challenge. Agassi at his peak would have been a challenge but now he is a few steps slower and Fed exploits this. Nadal has Feds number on clay and maybe at the Oz open he could beat him, but forget Wim and US.
In my opinion Fed will dominate Wim and US for next six yeers.
What needs to happen is for a young promising player with a great fast court game to dedicate themselves to their craft and challenge him or for the other players to seek out sports psychologists, get super fit so they can outlast him and keep working hard. Otherwise the atp tour is going to be a great specatcle like a beautiful painting in a gallery, but it's a sport and what we want to see is competition and if we don't get it, well, tennis and it's stars might suffer for it with low viewing figures and smaller paychecks. Hopefully Gasquet and the other newcomers can keep working hard to change the status quo.
I wish i had a sensible answer for why noone can challenge Fed and i think that it's down to safin and nalbandian to get it together and pose a challenge next year.
good post. Long, but good. Anyway, Fed will still be beautiful to watch... Props to Safin in Aussie Open

"I asked a bloke in the front row if he liked the serve-and-volley stuff," said Rafter. "He said he did but asked if he was going to get to see any rallies. 'Not today, mate,' I told him."
TheMightyFed is offline  
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Comparisons are Odious
 
mangoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Catching the vigorous horse of my mind......
Posts: 10,541
                     
Re: Roger Federer still has no consistent rival

Gasquet is a natural talent..............give him a little more time and I think he will come into his own. Right now his physical fitness is a big issue. However, moreso than even Nadal, Gasquet is showing he can handle all surfaces.

Blake being a rival for Roger..................DON'T MAKE ME CHOKE ON MY LUNCH. Everyone has a great match or tournament at some point in their career. However, I can think of several players that can kick Blakes' big cinderella ass on any given day. The potential for a great blake era has passed. The Newbies are here and they are already demonstrating the level and quality of tennis they are capable of achieving.

And while I don't believe in making excuses for players, we didn't see the very best out of Nadal during that match with Blake. Nadal, himself, admitted he played badly.

In my opinion, Safin is the second best player in the world, but he is emotionally challenged.............lolol...

Nadal, in my opinion, is the third best player in the world. But, I have a big issue with him staying so much on the clay and avoiding other surfaces. That is why, I do not think he should be no. 1 in the world as yet.

Hewitt is right up there in the top 5, but I do not think Andy should be in that list. I personally think that at 35, Agassi is a better player than Andy.



Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!

Last edited by mangoes; 09-06-2005 at 03:36 PM.
mangoes is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome