What ever happened to Alex Corretja? - MensTennisForums.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14
                     
What ever happened to Alex Corretja?

no news in 2005

Roger Federer


Conchita Martínez


Novak Djokovic - Andy Roddick - David Ferrer
James Blake - Andy Murray
Mikhail Youzhny - Tomas Berdych - Lleyton Hewitt

Last edited by Fran16; 10-07-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Fran16 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Registered User
 
liptea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In Carlos Moya's heart. Possibly also his pants.
Posts: 4,176
                     
Re: What ever happened to Alex Corretja?

HE LOST TO CARLOS MOYA IN A FRENCH OPEN FINAL!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday View Post
If I want to write something on any thread then I'll do it on my own time
liptea is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 01:17 AM
Registered User
 
Sjengster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Somewhere fairly shingly
Age: 31
Posts: 11,359
                     
Re: What ever happened to Alex Corretja?

A few things happened to him since then as well, principally: the Singles Championship title in Hanover, the no. 2 ranking, a 2nd RG final against Kuerten which he also lost, and a slide down the rankings to about 250 or so.

The Wit and Wisdom of the Tennis Journalist, Indian Wells 2004

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 01:18 AM
Registered User
 
SwissMister1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Virginia
Age: 17
Posts: 4,786
                     
Re: What ever happened to Alex Corretja?

Didn't he just have another kid?

______________________________

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

PAW #1 5/22/06
Predict-the-SCORE US Open Champion
SwissMister1 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 06:02 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: What ever happened to Alex Corretja?

Yes and now he is playing league tennis in Switzerland and sadly his time is over.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 06:17 AM
Senior Member
 
pravda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 873
                     
Re: What ever happened to Alex Corretja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Yes and now he is playing league tennis in Switzerland and sadly his time is over.
your avatar is amazing
its hard not to keep looking
pravda is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 07:04 AM
Registered User
 
liptea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In Carlos Moya's heart. Possibly also his pants.
Posts: 4,176
                     
Re: What ever happened to Alex Corretja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
A few things happened to him since then as well, principally: the Singles Championship title in Hanover, the no. 2 ranking, a 2nd RG final against Kuerten which he also lost, and a slide down the rankings to about 250 or so.
I know. I just never lose a chance to trumpet that French Open final. It was Moya's glory moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday View Post
If I want to write something on any thread then I'll do it on my own time
liptea is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 08:15 AM
MONSOON season.
 
CooCooCachoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Age: 30
Posts: 77,059
                     
Re: What ever happened to Alex Corretja?

This year he has been struggling to win matches on Challenger level, so it's safe to conclude that we won't see him reaching another GS final.

BEMELMANS | CHARDY | CHIUDINELLI
CIPOLLA| ROGER-VASSELIN | MCGEE




Bachinger|Basilashvili|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Cuevas |Eysseric|Giannessi|Gombos
Granollers|Grigelis|Huta Galung|Ilhan|Kudla|Al. Kuznetsov|Mannarino
Menendez|Mitchell|Naso|Paire|Peliwo|Polansky|Rober t|Rubin|Smyczek|J. Sousa|Weintraub

CooCooCachoo is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 08:51 AM
Registered User
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 7,934
                     
Re: What ever happened to Alex Corretja?

He had a very nice career. He just got old. He is in his 30s now I think. He just is having the normal slide for tennis players. I saw him play Robby live in Miami. He was very fun to watch.
Dirk is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Registered User
 
enqvistfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Paris
Posts: 5,812
                     
Re: What ever happened to Alex Corretja?

Alex is a player who had a great career, the problem is that his game was limited comparing to the other players, he didn't involve his game. Unfortunately, many players of his generation have the same problems and now, are fighting to come back.
He's 30 but Agassi is 35 and he's still on top, so Alex is not too old to come back. But, I think that with his game, it's very difficult to come back for him.

Hope that when he'll retire officially, we'll know it. He'll remain a great personnality of mens' tennis. Good luck for the future Alex !

http://www.fernando-gonzalez.net

Fernando Gonzalez & Carlos Moya

Para siempre Gonzo

Still supporting you, vamos
enqvistfan is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 06:00 PM
_._._._._._
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 72,524
                     
Re: What ever happened to Alex Corretja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enqvistfan
He's 30 but Agassi is 35 and he's still on top, so Alex is not too old to come back. But, I think that with his game, it's very difficult to come back for him.
To be honest, I thought he was a lot older than 30, I just had a look apparently he's 31. I actually thought he was about 33 or 34, he seems to have been around forever. I just don't think his game stands up well against the modern generation. He's had injuries and his movement isn't what it used to be, he can't get to balls he used to get to with ease, and there's not enough weapons in his armoury to trouble many good players anymore. Quite sad, he was always quite a nice player to watch when he was on his game.
adee-gee is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: What ever happened to Alex Corretja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee
To be honest, I thought he was a lot older than 30, I just had a look apparently he's 31. I actually thought he was about 33 or 34, he seems to have been around forever. I just don't think his game stands up well against the modern generation. He's had injuries and his movement isn't what it used to be, he can't get to balls he used to get to with ease, and there's not enough weapons in his armoury to trouble many good players anymore. Quite sad, he was always quite a nice player to watch when he was on his game.
Actually the fitness isn't a problem with him or a loss of speed. The thing is that all players decline at some point, it's just when they were higher in a lot of cases, it's quicker and it's a generation thing for him and when he came in as it was for Edberg, as it was for Wilander, as it was for Muster for all different reasons.

He misses too many 1st serves and makes too many errors, whereas that was his greatest strength, plus his forehand got worse as well.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Fed Fo Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On vacation...
Age: 45
Posts: 11,233
                     
Re: What ever happened to Alex Corretja?

He got about as much out of his talent that you could possibly ask of anyone.
NYCtennisfan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome