Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster? - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: Rafa vs. Muster 95 best of five. Who will win?
Rafa in 3 19 18.45%
Rafa in 4 27 26.21%
Rafa in 5 24 23.30%
Muster in 3 3 2.91%
Muster in 4 12 11.65%
Muster in 5 18 17.48%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ultraX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 157
                     
Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

I was watching a couple matches of Nadal in Monte Carlo Open, Rome Open and lately Roland Garros. Rafeal reminds me the great, the unbeattable clay court player ever existed Thomas Muster, ex champ of RG 1995. Since they are both left-handed, similar style, great physical ability, amazing mental, Nadal is a tremendous athlete that I've EVER known after Muster.

The only thing that I'd prefer is Nadal has one-handed backhand.
which I thing it's much better for typical clay player

before it was Stefan Edberg, Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, Thomas Muster, Patrick Rafter and Michael Chang.

now it's still ANDRE AGASSI, JAMES BLAKE
Rafael Nadal, Richard Gasquet, Gaston Gaudio, Mariano Puerta, Feliciano Lopez, Guillermo Coria
ultraX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:56 AM
Registered User
 
kabuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 183
                     
Re: Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

I can see it. But I think Rafa will win more slams than Muster, barring injuries or mishaps. Such as getting hit by a car like Thomas.
kabuki is offline  
post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ultraX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 157
                     
Re: Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

I'd prefer Nadal switch to one handed backhand instead


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoupa
Do you mean you prefer Nadal's two handed backhand or do you mean that you'd prefer Nadal to switch to one handed?


I always thought 2 handed was better for clay...

before it was Stefan Edberg, Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, Thomas Muster, Patrick Rafter and Michael Chang.

now it's still ANDRE AGASSI, JAMES BLAKE
Rafael Nadal, Richard Gasquet, Gaston Gaudio, Mariano Puerta, Feliciano Lopez, Guillermo Coria
ultraX is offline  
post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ultraX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 157
                     
Re: Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

Yeah I agree with you and Nadal is still young
When Muster won @RG 1995 against Micheal Chang he was like 28 of age already and I still has this match on my VHS tape hehe

Bottom line, Nadal is so great. I said that cuz I'm also a left-handed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuki
I can see it. But I think Rafa will win more slams than Muster, barring injuries or mishaps. Such as getting hit by a car like Thomas.

before it was Stefan Edberg, Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, Thomas Muster, Patrick Rafter and Michael Chang.

now it's still ANDRE AGASSI, JAMES BLAKE
Rafael Nadal, Richard Gasquet, Gaston Gaudio, Mariano Puerta, Feliciano Lopez, Guillermo Coria
ultraX is offline  
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:01 AM
Registered User
 
World Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,922
                     
Re: Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

Nadal has more spin on the fh than muster and is faster on court. He can also defend the bh better than muster on faster courts. But Muster had more endurance and could go on forever.
World Beater is offline  
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:45 AM
Fed Fo Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On vacation...
Age: 45
Posts: 11,233
                     
Re: Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

Quote:
me the great, the unbeattable clay court player ever existed Thomas Muster
Well, this was for only about two years with not as good RG results as one would expect although he did lost to some great players like Courier in his prime, Guga coming up, Stich, Rafter(!?). I thought Muster didn't move nearly as well on court but could hit the ball flatter and harder. He also had a better serve. Nadal has become really good at a young age though so he should achieve more if he can stay away from some of the injuries that Muster went through. It's amazing how Muster developed his game for the hardcourts later on in his career with some really good wins at Key Biscayne, Dubai, semis at Indian Wells, finals at Cinncinnati, semis at the Australian.

Here are Muster's year end rankings by age (apologize for the format):

Years Old Rank
17 381
18 98
19 45
20 69
21 16
22 20
23 7
24 35
25 18
26 9
27 16
28 3
29 6 (reached #1 this year)
30 9 (did better on hard courts this year)
31 24

Last edited by NYCtennisfan; 06-14-2005 at 04:59 AM.
NYCtennisfan is offline  
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:49 AM
Registered User
 
tennischick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,771
                     
Re: Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

Nadal's ferocity reminds me a bit of Muster. altho' Muster was far more ferocious. how he kept that up match after match is beyond me.

Q. When you've played as few matches as you have over the last two, three months, did you ever lack motivation to go out and practice?

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline  
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ultraX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 157
                     
Re: Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

thanx for sharing with us Muster's info

About Muster, I've only seen him on clay.
what I like about Muster is he hit so hard both side fh and bh. I was so inspired on his one-handed backhand.
I didn't know he also did well on hard court. I remember that he lost @US open...

and now I watch Nadal he reminds so much of the great Muster.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan
Well, this was for only about two years with not as good RG results as one would expect although he did lost to some great players like Courier in his prime, Guga coming up, Stich, Rafter(!?). I thought Muster didn't move nearly as well on court but could hit the ball flatter and harder. He also had a better serve. Nadal has become really good at a young age though so he should achieve more if he can stay away from some of the injuries that Muster went through. It's amazing how Muster developed his game for the hardcourts later on in his career with some really good wins at Key Biscayne, Dubai, semis at Indian Wells, finals at Cinncinnati, semis at the Australian.

Here are Muster's year end rankings by age (apologize for the format):

Years Old Rank
17 381
18 98
19 45
20 69
21 16
22 20
23 7
24 35
25 18
26 9
27 16
28 3
29 6 (reached #1 this year)
30 9 (did better on hard courts this year)
31 24

before it was Stefan Edberg, Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, Thomas Muster, Patrick Rafter and Michael Chang.

now it's still ANDRE AGASSI, JAMES BLAKE
Rafael Nadal, Richard Gasquet, Gaston Gaudio, Mariano Puerta, Feliciano Lopez, Guillermo Coria
ultraX is offline  
post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Senior Member
 
NATAS81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Monte Carlo, Monaco
Age: 34
Posts: 19,353
                     
Re: Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

Other than lefty/lefty, hell no.
NATAS81 is offline  
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater
Nadal has more spin on the fh than muster and is faster on court. He can also defend the bh better than muster on faster courts. But Muster had more endurance and could go on forever.
Muster's backhand was better, but I think Nadal plays net rushers better than Muster does, however when Muster was playing he played against some outstanding net players which is something Nadal hasn't had to as often. There isn't the calibre of net players like Becker, Edberg, Rafter, Sampras, Stich and Krajicek now.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #11 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Registered User
 
World Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,922
                     
Re: Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Muster's backhand was better, but I think Nadal plays net rushers better than Muster does, however when Muster was playing he played against some outstanding net players which is something Nadal hasn't had to as often. There isn't the calibre of net players like Becker, Edberg, Rafter, Sampras, Stich and Krajicek now.
You may be right abou the bh, but a certain Mr.Agassi thinks other wise.
World Beater is offline  
post #12 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater
You may be right abou the bh, but a certain Mr.Agassi thinks other wise.
A certain Agassi couldn't get close to Muster on clay after 88 and the 94 RG match Muster should have won in 3 sets and not 5. There are similarites and there are differences. Agassi was able to use his superior timing and faster hand-eye co-ordination on the hardcourts to outmanouever Muster.

Muster had a better serve and one thing Nadal doesn't have 1 leg shorter than the other because of an accident, the willigness to run everything down and they actually trained together in Rome.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #13 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Registered User
 
World Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,922
                     
Re: Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
A certain Agassi couldn't get close to Muster on clay after 88 and the 94 RG match Muster should have won in 3 sets and not 5. There are similarites and there are differences. Agassi was able to use his superior timing and faster hand-eye co-ordination on the hardcourts to outmanouever Muster.
.
What does this have to do with nadal and muster?
I recall Agassi picking out nadals bh over muster's when asked to compare the two.
World Beater is offline  
post #14 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater
What does this have to do with nadal and muster?
I recall Agassi picking out nadals bh over muster's when asked to compare the two.
You bought up Agassi and since you bought it up, do you think he is good enough to do that to Nadal if they meet on the hardcourts?

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #15 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Registered User
 
World Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,922
                     
Re: Does Nadal remind you Thomas Muster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
You bought up Agassi and since you bought it up, do you think he is good enough to do that to Nadal if they meet on the hardcourts?
I brought up agassi to give his viewpt on their respective bh of nadal and muster. Nothing more.

This has nothing to do with how Agassi would matchup against either player
World Beater is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome