Excuse me for being ignorant but.... - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
sharpeirob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Harare
Posts: 2,723
                     
Excuse me for being ignorant but....

..I dont watch too much men's tennis, but for a while now i have been wondering about Lleyton Hewitt and how he actually wins so many matches. I watched him, and i just thought he was so boring, his backhand cross court was never ending, never any variation on the shot and it was so repetive....Please somebody tell me his major strengths, maybe a forehand?
sharpeirob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Excuse me for being ignorant but....

The mentally toughest player on the tour, along with one of the fastest.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Registered User
 
Winston's Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,285
                     
Re: Excuse me for being ignorant but....

To me, Hewitt's #1 strength is mental. He rarely goes away mentally in a match.

Hewitt is also speedy.
Winston's Human is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Registered User
 
Purple Rainbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BoL
Age: 35
Posts: 6,782
                     
Re: Excuse me for being ignorant but....

Hi greatest strengts are his footwork, his never-give up attitue, his ability to raise his game for the big points and his stamina. And apart from having a decent forehand and backhand, Lleyton has the best lob on tour.
If you find his game boring you either have a very short attention span (players recommended to you: Karlovic, Arthurs, Norman), or you just don't like tennis.

17 (yes, yes, yes!) Slams! And counting....
Purple Rainbow is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
sharpeirob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Harare
Posts: 2,723
                     
Re: Excuse me for being ignorant but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow
Hi greatest strengts are his footwork, his never-give up attitue, his ability to raise his game for the big points and his stamina. And apart from having a decent forehand and backhand, Lleyton has the best lob on tour.
If you find his game boring you either have a very short attention span (players recommended to you: Karlovic, Arthurs, Norman), or you just don't like tennis.
Thanks, you know people dont always have to find the same players enjoyable
sharpeirob is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
sharpeirob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Harare
Posts: 2,723
                     
Re: Excuse me for being ignorant but....

Thanks George and Winston too
sharpeirob is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Registered User
 
Purple Rainbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BoL
Age: 35
Posts: 6,782
                     
Re: Excuse me for being ignorant but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpeirob
Thanks, you know people dont always have to find the same players enjoyable
A lot of people don't like Hewitt, mostly because of his on court attitude. I think there is a general agreement though, that he's a very good and fairly spectacular player to watch.

17 (yes, yes, yes!) Slams! And counting....
Purple Rainbow is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Excuse me for being ignorant but....

Hewitt playing Davis Cup is something that is very good to watch, especially when it gets close as he loves playing Davis Cup unlike some of the other top players.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:49 PM
jmp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 8,699
                     
Re: Excuse me for being ignorant but....

sharpeirob, I hope you watch more mens' tennis. I REALLY enjoy it. Everything the others have said here about his strengths are spot on. I have NEVER seen a player employ the defensive lob to such successful effect. You never know it's coming and BAM! at the last minute he flicks and it lands right inside the baseline. His mental strength is what jutted him in front of his age group and made him the youngest #1 ever able to maintain that ranking for two consecutive years.

Come over to the dark side and get into the mens' game.
jmp is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
sharpeirob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Harare
Posts: 2,723
                     
Re: Excuse me for being ignorant but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp
sharpeirob, I hope you watch more mens' tennis. I REALLY enjoy it. Everything the others have said here about his strengths are spot on. I have NEVER seen a player employ the defensive lob to such successful effect. You never know it's coming and BAM! at the last minute he flicks and it lands right inside the baseline. His mental strength is what jutted him in front of his age group and made him the youngest #1 ever able to maintain that ranking for two consecutive years.

Come over to the dark side and get into the mens' game.
haha thanks jmp
sharpeirob is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 52
Posts: 1,559
                     
Re: Excuse me for being ignorant but....

First of all, have a look at
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/...yernumber=H432
I read this page from time to time and each time I find it simply breathtaking what Hewitt has achieved at only 24.

I think he's awesome to watch. He does not have the in-your-face talent of Federer, but he has all the things one needs to be the absolute top in tennis. First of all, Hewitt performs all the basic shots in tennis very well: forehand, backhand, serve, drop shot, lob. Most of the time he plays from the baseline but when he comes to the net he shows that his volleys are also very decent. His footwork is amazing; it's always fantastic to watch in slow motion how he moves. His timing is great and he has very good eyes which makes him a terrific returner and helps him to come up with deadly passing shots.
Hewitt is a guy who often kills slowly. He's rarely dominant in a match the way Federer is. He's rather a kind of body snatcher; he will keep returning the ball. Sometimes you would think a robot has taken over.

On top of all this, I think he is the player who keeps working on his game, and that is something I admire him very much for. Of all the things Hewitt achieved, and that are many things, the way he bounced back after a lacklustre 2003 (lacklustre to Hewitt's standards coz a lot of players would still have been very happy to have had such a year) to the top 3 at the end of 2004, is one of his most amazing feats.

OK, I'm going to stop now, I'm getting lyrical and I realize it's too long ago that I've seen this great tennis player.

Federer: Lord of the Strings (quote borrowed from another MTF-poster)
Safin: His Royal Dork-ness
Hewitt: Mowing a lawn near you
Kuerten: tennis in the shape of a heart
Ollie Rochus: the lil'man that broke Karlovic
Hagar is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 05:10 PM
-
 
Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 33
Posts: 24,630
                     
Re: Excuse me for being ignorant but....

determination and big emotions to pump himself up

Carlos --- C'MON Lleyton!!! --- Kiwi!!! --- Jürgen --- Juan

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,739
                     
Re: Excuse me for being ignorant but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar
First of all, have a look at
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/...yernumber=H432
I read this page from time to time and each time I find it simply breathtaking what Hewitt has achieved at only 24.

I think he's awesome to watch. He does not have the in-your-face talent of Federer, but he has all the things one needs to be the absolute top in tennis. First of all, Hewitt performs all the basic shots in tennis very well: forehand, backhand, serve, drop shot, lob. Most of the time he plays from the baseline but when he comes to the net he shows that his volleys are also very decent. His footwork is amazing; it's always fantastic to watch in slow motion how he moves. His timing is great and he has very good eyes which makes him a terrific returner and helps him to come up with deadly passing shots.
Hewitt is a guy who often kills slowly. He's rarely dominant in a match the way Federer is. He's rather a kind of body snatcher; he will keep returning the ball. Sometimes you would think a robot has taken over.

On top of all this, I think he is the player who keeps working on his game, and that is something I admire him very much for. Of all the things Hewitt achieved, and that are many things, the way he bounced back after a lacklustre 2003 (lacklustre to Hewitt's standards coz a lot of players would still have been very happy to have had such a year) to the top 3 at the end of 2004, is one of his most amazing feats.

OK, I'm going to stop now, I'm getting lyrical and I realize it's too long ago that I've seen this great tennis player.


All of that, and he is a superior tactician. Agassi said he hired Cahil because he admired Lleyton's tactics so much.
star is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
sharpeirob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Harare
Posts: 2,723
                     
Re: Excuse me for being ignorant but....

Thanks all! My blindness of Hewitt is slowly being reversed
sharpeirob is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Registered User
 
for-sure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 373
                     
Re: Excuse me for being ignorant but....

Hewitt's return is highly under-rated!

ELENA DEMENTIEVA SERVING
...................................O
O.....
|.....
\
..|\
|
/ \
for-sure is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome