Nadal vs Andreev - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,922
                     
Nadal vs Andreev

As it turned out Andreev is the only man who beat Nadal on clay since Miami. Apart from Rafa being tired and "willing" to lose, what happened in this match? How did Andreev play?

Red Alert: it's not a bashing thread by any means. I'm just curious. ESPN doesn't show TMS-es on clay any more, let alone the tournament from Valencia.
Skyward is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Nadal vs Andreev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward
How did Andreev play?
Well enough to win.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Registered User
 
Deivid23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 38
Posts: 13,295
                     
Re: Nadal vs Andreev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward
As it turned out Andreev is the only man who beat Nadal on clay since Miami. Apart from Rafa being tired and "willing" to lose, what happened in this match? How did Andreev play?

Red Alert: it's not a bashing thread by any means. I'm just curious. ESPN doesn't show TMS-es on clay any more, let alone the tournament from Valencia.
I had a report from that match coming from 2 different people. They both agree on the fact GWH said. Andreev played well enough to take it.
Deivid23 is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 13,139
                     
Re: Nadal vs Andreev

Andreev played like a young Thomas Muster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Anyone who says any player has no chance against Dolgopolov is clearly trolling.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,922
                     
Re: Nadal vs Andreev

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Well enough to win.
Well, thanks. That much I can figure out from the result.

Did he employ any tactics? Thanks to ESPN, I'm not really familiar with Andreev's style. Did he serve big? Did he step in on the returns? Did he go to the net?
Skyward is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Posts: 72
                   
Re: Nadal vs Andreev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward
Well, thanks. That much I can figure out from the result.

Did he employ any tactics? Thanks to ESPN, I'm not really familiar with Andreev's style. Did he serve big? Did he step in on the returns? Did he go to the net?
Didn't see the match, but I think it's safe enough to say...

no, no, no...
Dr. Laborious is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Nadal vs Andreev

Andreev moves quite well and hits a huge forehand, his tennis brain isn't the greatest and his serve is reasonable.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Registered User
 
Deivid23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 38
Posts: 13,295
                     
Re: Nadal vs Andreev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward
Well, thanks. That much I can figure out from the result.

Did he employ any tactics? Thanks to ESPN, I'm not really familiar with Andreev's style. Did he serve big? Did he step in on the returns? Did he go to the net?
Andreev has a decent first serve and a huge forehand, he trains in Valencia and prefers slower surfaces. He feels comfortable trying to overpower his rivals with his fh from baseline. His bh is not bad when it´s on but he´s still a bit too erratic with it. Anyway next time they face each other I think outcome won´t be the same.
Deivid23 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Registered User
 
Puschkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 15,922
                     
Re: Nadal vs Andreev

Somehow similar to Ferrero, whom he destroyed last year as the defending RG-champion. That is nothing worth mentioning in itself, because JCF had not recovered from injury. But the remarkable thing was that he defeated JCF with his own weapons.
Puschkin is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Registered User
 
Deivid23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 38
Posts: 13,295
                     
Re: Nadal vs Andreev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin
Somehow similar to Ferrero, whom he destroyed last year as the defending RG-champion. That is nothing worth mentioning in itself, because JCF had not recovered from injury. But the remarkable thing was that he defeated JCF with his own weapons.
I don´t find many similarities between both, honestly.
Deivid23 is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Registered User
 
Puschkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 15,922
                     
Re: Nadal vs Andreev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deivid23
I don´t find many similarities between both, honestly.
I did not expect you to agree with me even on a neutral topic like Andreev and Ferrero , even if you pointed out the similarities before yourself. I said "somehow", and this was meant to give an idea.
Puschkin is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Registered User
 
Deivid23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 38
Posts: 13,295
                     
Re: Nadal vs Andreev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin
I did not expect you to agree with me even on a neutral topic like Andreev and Ferrero , even if you pointed out the similarities before yourself. I said "somehow", and this was meant to give an idea.
I don´t remember where we´ve discussed before, sorry, maybe you were one of those who stated Federer would win Nadal easily

Having a good fh and feeling comfortable at baseline is not enough for me to say a player has similar style to other.
Deivid23 is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: Nadal vs Andreev

Ferrero and Andreev aren't that similiar. Ferrero has a better backhand, moves better and Andreev has a better serve, they don't even hit the forehands the same.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Registered User
 
Puschkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 15,922
                     
Re: Nadal vs Andreev

You see, Skyward, I managed at least to get our experts to comment more precisely and while my comparison might have its flaws (that's why I used the word "somehow",) they did not come up with a better one yet.
Puschkin is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:46 PM
country flag ys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,047
                     
Re: Nadal vs Andreev

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Well enough to win.

You are amazing.. Why don't you go into politics? You are a superb demagogue.. 90% of your posts are about stating the meaningless obvious..
ys is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome