Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Not on the court, obviously.
4. What's this we hear that Larry Brown has been furtively interviewing
for TonyRoche's job?
5.The most feared weapon in women's tennis is Henin-Hardenne's guts.
It is she -- and not Serena Williams or Maria Sharapova -- who now has the
regal aura and intimidation factor good for a few games a set.
6. Answer: Igor Andreev. Question: Who was the last player to have
8. Federer has lost three matches all year and hasn't reached a Grand
Slam final. Think he might fear Nadal a little? He is 1-2 against him with the
one win coming on hard courts when he was two points from defeat.
25. Which WTA player blew off an Elle photo shoot last week, after a
top photographer had already been commissioned?
34. One Australian absentee whose name we scarcely heard mentioned
last week: Lleyton Hewitt. One Australian absentee whose name mentioned
plenty: Alicia Molik. Make of that what you will.
35. Weirdest moment: In his fourth round match, Gaudio turned to
Ferrer's coach and said: "Don't worry, I'm not going to win this match." Sure
enough, Gaudio went down in five sets.
41. .... Bimes also noted referee Stefan Fransson "is extraordinary
because he's cold like a Nordic person, but he's friendly like a Frenchman or
a Spanish man." Where, oh where, do they find these characters?
43. Jeff S. of Placentia, Calif., writes: "Note to Genworth Financial: If
you're going to be the TITULAR sponsor of a world-renowned, two-week
sporting event, spring for more than ONE commercial. I used to think the
Steffi / Andre commercial was cute, but now that I've seen it at the top of
EVERY commercial break, I'm ready to buy Andre's life insurance policy for
44. Predictably, we were flooded with complaints about the television
coverage, I feel a bit like this is a deceased equine, but here's contact info:
46. Speaking of the "good of the sport," for as bent out of shape as
tennis agents get about the size of sponsor patches and the names on the
"aluminum exempt" lists and similarly trivial flotsam and jetsam, you'd think
there would be a real uproar over injury-o-rama.... We'll say it again:
eliminating best-of-five matches in Slams (at least in the first four rounds) is
49. Can we settle this for once and for all: 001? Or 011?