Tsonga eyes first grand slam - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,894
                     
Tsonga eyes first grand slam

After an early loss in the second
round of the Paris Masters against
the hands Kei Nishikori, Jo-
Wilfried Tsonga was unable to
qualify for World Tour Finals on
London.
But the 2008 Australian Open
finalist is looking for a fresh start
of the season and believes he can
win a Grand Slam this season.
“Yes, I still believe I can win the
Slams. Otherwise I will not be
here competing with the big
guys,” Tsonga told reports.
The Frenchman quoted Murray as
an example who lost four Grand
slam finals before winning the
2012 US Open, “Yes, he proved
that if you want to achieve
something badly, you will
eventually be able to achieve that.
Impossible is nothing. I am very
passionate about lifting my first
Slam title."
The world number ten has been
drawn to face Wimbledon
Champion Andy Murray on the
opening day of the Mubadala
World Tennis Championship
exhibition event this week.
“My first match will be
interesting. Andy is also making
comeback. So we don’t know
what to expect. But it will give us
a good idea about where we are
physically. Hopefully I can play
well.”
Tsonga ended the season with just
one title in his bag, but he
managed to reach the semifinal at
Roland Gross this year.
“Yeah it was my first semi-final
at my home Grand Slam. It’s was
nice to prove people wrong. After
all, many thought I couldn’t play
on clay. But I showed I can play
pretty good clay court tennis!”
rus59 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,002
                     
Re: Tsonga eyes first grand slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus59 View Post
After an early loss in the second
round of the Paris Masters against
the hands Kei Nishikori, Jo-
Wilfried Tsonga was unable to
qualify for World Tour Finals on
London.
But the 2008 Australian Open
finalist is looking for a fresh start
of the season and believes he can
win a Grand Slam this season.
“Yes, I still believe I can win the
Slams. Otherwise I will not be
here competing with the big
guys,” Tsonga told reports.
The Frenchman quoted Murray as
an example who lost four Grand
slam finals before winning the
2012 US Open, “Yes, he proved
that if you want to achieve
something badly, you will
eventually be able to achieve that.
Impossible is nothing. I am very
passionate about lifting my first
Slam title."
The world number ten has been
drawn to face Wimbledon
Champion Andy Murray on the
opening day of the Mubadala
World Tennis Championship
exhibition event this week.
“My first match will be
interesting. Andy is also making
comeback. So we don’t know
what to expect. But it will give us
a good idea about where we are
physically. Hopefully I can play
well.”
Tsonga ended the season with just
one title in his bag, but he
managed to reach the semifinal at
Roland Gross this year.
“Yeah it was my first semi-final
at my home Grand Slam. It’s was
nice to prove people wrong. After
all, many thought I couldn’t play
on clay. But I showed I can play
pretty good clay court tennis!”
Not bad but work a bit on your rhymes.
chili is offline  
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 02:24 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 41,972
                     
Re: Tsonga eyes first grand slam

well at least somebody believes. tsonga should not be ashamed of himself

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic
Obviously, you play a lot of mind games with yourself, but it is important to always believe that you can play your best, perform your best, and in the end, your convictions are stronger than your doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Johnny Groove is offline  
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Registered User
 
Joey Tribbiani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Milan
Age: 24
Posts: 11,361
                     
Re: Tsonga eyes first grand slam

Clown.

Roger Federer

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

302 weeks #1 - 6 WTFs


Quote:
"Peak Djokovic is better than peak Federer. Federer dominated in the weak era 2004-2007".
Joey Tribbiani is offline  
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London (sadly)
Posts: 14,469
                     
Re: Tsonga eyes first grand slam

good for him

On Murray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamvol View Post
He probably just hangs about in 2nd place protecting himself with 3 bananas whilst waiting for the person in the lead to get blue shelled.
1. Murray wins Wimbledon 2016 after Djokovic is blue shelled by Querrey. Thanks Querrey!

2. Murray wins Olympic Gold for the second time after Djokovic is blue shelled by Del Potro. Thanks Del Potro!

3. Murray wins US Open 2016 after Djokovic is blue shelled by [pending]. Thanks [pending]!

TigerTim is offline  
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Registered User
 
JoWilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Age: 41
Posts: 6,721
                     
Re: Tsonga eyes first grand slam

COME ON JO! We know you can do it

TSONGA

DJOKOVIC

FEDERER
DEL PO-DIMITROV-MURRAY-WAWRINKA-GASQUET-JANOWICZ-BERDYCH

OBJECTIVE AND UNBIASED NADAL FAN
NADAL= Excuses, bending the rules, fluke 2010, weak clay field, classless celebrations, lucky draws, first player to lose 3 consecutive GS finals to the same man, 3 consecutive losses to players ranked outside 100 at Wimbledon including injured Darcis, only beats injured or UE strewn Djoko or Fed, embarrassed by Stronga. VAMOS!
JoWilly is offline  
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Registered User
 
Sillyrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Map, please
Posts: 1,899
                     
Re: Tsonga eyes first grand slam

Good luck with that. Though he turns 29 next year and isn't exactly getting younger, obviously.

"Frankly My Dear, I don't give a damn"
Sillyrabbit is offline  
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Registered User
 
a1canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,091
                     
Re: Tsonga eyes first grand slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
well at least somebody believes. tsonga should not be ashamed of himself
Lol, atleast Querrey was realistic, and Querrey probably has a better chance to beat Djokovic at AO then tsonga.
Things have changed considerably since tsonga made the final in 2008, big 3 have matured!

Canada welcomes Syrian refugees !
a1canada is offline  
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Registered User
 
Pangloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 744
                     
Re: Tsonga eyes first grand slam

Good for him, I hope he can do it.

Nadal • Federer • Dimitrov • Wawrinka


Ferrer • Murray • del Potro • Tsonga • Raonic • Haas • Kohlschreiber • Verdasco • Monfils
Pangloss is offline  
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 04:34 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 41,972
                     
Re: Tsonga eyes first grand slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1canada View Post
Lol, atleast Querrey was realistic, and Querrey probably has a better chance to beat Djokovic at AO then tsonga.
Things have changed considerably since tsonga made the final in 2008, big 3 have matured!
lol querrey a better chance to beat djoko than tsonga?

now I've heard it all

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic
Obviously, you play a lot of mind games with yourself, but it is important to always believe that you can play your best, perform your best, and in the end, your convictions are stronger than your doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Johnny Groove is offline  
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Registered User
 
miura88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,236
                     
Re: Tsonga eyes first grand slam

Quite ridiculous that France has only had 1 male Grand Slam winner in the Open Era.

✵✵
miura88 is online now  
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Registered User
 
Ace Pounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In-between Cringe City and Ruinsville
Age: 27
Posts: 12,960
                     
Re: Tsonga eyes first grand slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by miura88 View Post
Quite ridiculous that France has only had 1 male Grand Slam winner in the Open Era.
Indeed. A country where sports in general are very important with so many tennis infrstructures (clay especially) but with little to no significant result in such a long time is quite a mystery.
Ace Pounder is offline  
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Registered User
 
a1canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,091
                     
Re: Tsonga eyes first grand slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
lol querrey a better chance to beat djoko than tsonga?

now I've heard it all
Yes as much of an exaggeration as your attack on querrey on purpose, fact is neither will beat djokovic at AO!

Canada welcomes Syrian refugees !
a1canada is offline  
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Registered User
 
DDRickyDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lancashire, England
Age: 24
Posts: 930
                     
Re: Tsonga eyes first grand slam

He has a chance at Wimbledon 2014 due to lack of competition on grass. That tournament will probably be his last chance of finishing his career as a Grand Slam champion.

DDRickyDD is offline  
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Registered User
 
FlameOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Posts: 11,792
                     
Re: Tsonga eyes first grand slam

Some self-belief from a top player at last . Seems like a needle in a haystack in men's tennis .

Tennis is life...
Motivated Paire Berdych Gulbis Wawrinka Dimitrov Verdasco Giraldo


Last edited by FlameOn; 12-24-2013 at 09:48 PM.
FlameOn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome