Double Standards - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Becarina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fantasy Island
Posts: 27,104
                     
Double Standards

Why is it every commentator saying how Lindsay Davenport should reitire, and she is 28, and winninng no less, and Andre is pushing 35 and it is perfectly fine for him to continue, maybe even until he is forty?

Fact of the day : Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.
Becarina is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 755
                     
Re: Double Standards

I don't know, maybe because they assume too much lol. In todays sports age, Age is not as big of a factor as it once was. Some people don't see this, but overtime I think people will start to come around and realize you should judge an athlete on how they take care of there body and how much punishment there body has recieved, and what condition there body is in. Not how long it's been since there mom pushed them out!
jacobhiggins is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Registered User
 
tennischick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,771
                     
Re: Double Standards

i haven't heard anyone say this about Lindsay. on the contrary i've heard the opposite by at least mary carillo and cliff drysdale. and i've heard many commentators say the words "andre" and "retirement" in the same sentence. dunno who you are referring to tho'

Q. When you've played as few matches as you have over the last two, three months, did you ever lack motivation to go out and practice?

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Moderator
 
smucav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,139
                     
Re: Double Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysGirl
Why is it every commentator saying how Lindsay Davenport should reitire, and she is 28, and winninng no less, and Andre is pushing 35 and it is perfectly fine for him to continue, maybe even until he is forty?
I haven't heard anyone say that Lindsay should retire except for Lindsay herself. She said she would retire if she had another serious injury that kept her out for several months like the ones she had in 2002-2003. But so far she hasn't had another serious injury & instead dominated the summer hard court season & finished #1 in 2004.

All the commentary I've heard is about the irony that she was considering retirement because she felt she couldn't be on top anymore, when that's exactly what ended up happening not long after she said it.

I think the only time a lot of people started questioning Andre was when he had a series of bad losses to low-ranked players in early-mid 2004, but he put those questions to rest after he won Cincinnati & finished the year #8. Considering he doesn't play nearly as many events as the other top players, being in the top 10 at his age is remarkable.

Last edited by smucav; 04-18-2005 at 05:14 PM.
smucav is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 05:23 PM
Registered User
 
MissMoJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Surfacing
Posts: 5,488
                     
Re: Double Standards

They speculate about Agassi's retirement after every GS, and Lindsay actually announced at one point that she had planned on retiring this year so there was cause to discuss it regarding her. Lately, i haven't heard anyone saying she should retire just how great she's been playing. And they're always complimenting Agassi. So, i'm not aware of any double standard

“When a true genius appears in this world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.” -- Jonathan Swift
MissMoJo is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 12:32 AM
jmp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 8,699
                     
Re: Double Standards

I don't think there is a double standard going on here. Most tennis fans and commentators want Lindsay to stay as long as she wants to stay. She'll quit soon (maybe the next two to three years) because she's firm in her desire to start a family. As she said recently, another major injury may prompt her to retire sooner.

There's a lot going on with American tennis advocates wanting Andre to stay forever. He is a huge international star and an American. American tennis players in their 20s are not near the top 10 and there are few future prospects for the top 10. Andre's personal and professional story are compelling as well.
jmp is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 01:51 AM
country flag Leo
Registered User
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 8,507
                     
Re: Double Standards

The reason there's been so much talk about Lindsay retiring the past few years is because she started it herself! Agassi has barely ever hinted about hanging up the racquet. Davenport has done more than hint.

/ / / /
Djokovic.
\ \ \ \
Coric.
/ / / / /
Youzhny.
\ \ \ \
Del Potro.
/ / / /
Paire.
\ \ \ \
Ferrero.
Leo is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 04:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,396
                     
Re: Double Standards

I think it's because Davenport looks incredibly slow and stiff when she bumbles around the court, I think most writers don't know that's what she's always been like.
uNIVERSE mAN is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 06:30 AM
Registered User
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 887
                     
Re: Double Standards

i truly believe that if lindsay's 2004 hadn't been so tremendous that she would already be retired. she sparks up the conversation so much hersaelf that i don't think it's a double standard. maybe the fact that she views all her success as bonus really takes the pressure off and that's why she's doing so well? hmmm.

Maybe Roger can win Roland Garros.......
faboozadoo15 is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 06:35 AM
Registered User
 
Experimentee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,274
                     
Re: Double Standards

Andre gets a question about retirement in almost every interview he does. Every time he loses, even if its to someone like Federer, people are always saying he should retire. You should look around a bit more before you claim no one thinks he should retire.
Experimentee is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 06:36 AM
Registered User
 
Federerhingis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NYC
Age: 33
Posts: 15,172
                     
Re: Double Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by uNIVERSE mAN
I think it's because Davenport looks incredibly slow and stiff when she bumbles around the court, I think most writers don't know that's what she's always been like.

This is indeed true but you cant go without acknowledging those groundies are something to marvel at, so cleanly striked and bang boom boom to the baseline corner. She seemed to always get the better of my Hingis with those no matter how fit or in form my favorite Hingis was in. Sadly enough!

Do not accuse a man for no reason—
when he has done you no harm, Proverbs3:30"


So long Marat Safin, C'mon Lleyton Hewitt,Viel gluck Tommy Haas, Bring it on Marcos Baghdatis, Gut Spielen Nicolas Kiefer, Dale Fernando Gonzalez, Dale David Nalbandian, Davai Nikolay Davydenko and Allez Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger continue marvelling us the tennis mortals

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis (TENNIS)
Federerhingis is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,396
                     
Re: Double Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federerhingis
This is indeed true but you cant go without acknowledging those groundies are something to marvel at, so cleanly striked and bang boom boom to the baseline corner. She seemed to always get the better of my Hingis with those no matter how fit or in form my favorite Hingis was in. Sadly enough!
Marvel at? consistent flat deep strokes? women might find this impressive, not me. And as for "bang boom boom", that hasn't won her anything for a long, long time.
uNIVERSE mAN is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Registered User
 
Adman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 486
                     
Re: Double Standards

[QUOTE=MissMoJo]They speculate about Agassi's retirement after every GS /QUOTE]

After Grand Slams they are always talking about Andre but I always think that he will say before a major tournament or match in the pre-match interview that he will retire or announce it to the world which would be a great shame.

I'm not afraid of anyone, but sometimes I'm afraid of myself.
-Justine Henin-Hardenne-

Life it's a great game.
-Andre Agassi-

He was too good. I would suggest to his next opponent that he doesn't look to me for advice.
-Andre Agassi-
Adman is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 02:00 PM
Registered User
 
Adman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 486
                     
Re: Double Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoJo
They speculate about Agassi's retirement after every GS
After Grand Slams they are always talking about Andre but I always think that he will say before a major tournament or match in the pre-match interview that he will retire or announce it to the world which would be a great shame.

I'm not afraid of anyone, but sometimes I'm afraid of myself.
-Justine Henin-Hardenne-

Life it's a great game.
-Andre Agassi-

He was too good. I would suggest to his next opponent that he doesn't look to me for advice.
-Andre Agassi-
Adman is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
Re: Double Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysGirl
Why is it every commentator saying how Lindsay Davenport should reitire, and she is 28, and winninng no less, and Andre is pushing 35 and it is perfectly fine for him to continue, maybe even until he is forty?
maybe because lindsay looks and moves like she is 6 years agassi's senior rather than his junior!
federer express is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome