"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 60 - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!
Speed up the courts 333 79.10%
Leave them as they are 88 20.90%
Voters: 421. You may not vote on this poll

 11Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #886 of 1940 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 02:11 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,027
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
I thought on faster courts they wouldn't even had made the final? Isn't that what you are always saying?
I bet that Nadal and Djokovic prefer plying an exhausting long final than losing in 2nd round of a Slam.
Nadal wouldn't have no but the slow, joint-killing battles at places like the AO, IW and Miami against Djokovic are partially the reasons why his knees are done in. It's just too physical. Speed up HCs and slow down clay.

Nadal has won his career slam now anyway so it won't matter if he started losing early in some sped up HC events.

Whoever said Djokovic would benefit from quicker courts, haha no chance. He's better than Nadal on them for sure but he won't defend as well on them plus he likes time to set up a rhythm on his ground game and higher bounces help that.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #887 of 1940 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,212
                     
Re: Fed wants faster courts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
Err, he said when Novak is on the defense he still plays offensively. If a court was quicker that would therefore suit him.

Pretty obvious conclusion to make.
As long as you're trolling/know nothing about tennis, yeah.

On proper fast hardcourts, defense would be almost eliminated. Djokovic wouldn't have the time to get to so many balls and get a full swing on his defensive shots and would need to adopt a different gameplan to succeed.
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #888 of 1940 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Registered User
 
70-68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 840
                     
Re: Fed wants faster courts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
You have taken a ridiculous sample of 1 match from two different types of surfaces and made a conclusion based on that?

Do you realise how stupid that is?
I already mentioned more than just 1 or 2 examples in my first post.

If you think Djokovic would prefer faster courts, you are just simply wrong, because he wouldn't. Maybe against Nadal or Ferrer, but definitely not against Federer or Murray.
70-68 is offline  
post #889 of 1940 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,681
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Oh God, the Fedtards are out in force.
Wing Man Frank is offline  
post #890 of 1940 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Registered User
 
GOAT = Fed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,091
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
Oh God, the Fedtards are out in force.
Oh God, the idiocy force is out in force.
GOAT = Fed is offline  
post #891 of 1940 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Registered User
 
alneirh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 31
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Yes, faster courts would benefit Federer against the 3 other TOP 4, but he would face many problems against random ballbashers and servebots. (Fed himself complained about that some time ago, I can't remember now when)
alneirh is offline  
post #892 of 1940 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Registered User
 
juan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 28
Posts: 3,175
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

that it`s good for tennis too alneirh....

that the big-4 have more difficults for win
juan27 is offline  
post #893 of 1940 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Registered User
 
LeChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,081
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Really it comes down to whether you are a (top) player fan or a general tennis fan.

If you only care about the top players then the current set-up, where all of the top players are benefiting from the surface homogenisation to reach the finals/semi-finals at practically every big tournament in sight, is perfect. The tournament directors at the big events must also love the current predictability.

However if you are a wider tennis fan who wants to see players having to adapt to significantly different surfaces, as opposed to those surfaces adapting to make it easier for them, and wants to see a larger range of players enjoying the spotlight and succeeding at different times of the year, then you would prefer more surface variety.

I personally fall into the second category.
LeChuck is offline  
post #894 of 1940 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,225
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
Oh God, the Fedtards are out in force.
Oh, God, I am talking BS and I can't overturn proper arguments, so I can complain the "Fedtards" are bullying me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
Really it comes down to whether you are a (top) player fan or a general tennis fan.

If you only care about the top players then the current set-up, where all of the top players are benefiting from the surface homogenisation to reach the finals/semi-finals at practically every big tournament in sight, is perfect. The tournament directors at the big events must also love the current predictability.

However if you are a wider tennis fan who wants to see players having to adapt to significantly different surfaces, as opposed to those surfaces adapting to make it easier for them, and wants to see a larger range of players enjoying the spotlight and succeeding at different times of the year, then you would prefer more surface variety.

I personally fall into the second category.
Well, I am top player fan and I want to see diversity because that's the main reason I started watching the game.


The "Who plays tennis?" thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Rod Laver
Roger is like a good red wine, he’s getting better with age.
Looner is offline  
post #895 of 1940 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Registered User
 
LeChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,081
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

I should explain that by top player fan, I mean someone who only cares about whether their favourite player continues to rack up the big titles, and doesn't care about much about the rest of the sport in general.

Of course it would be better for the players as a whole and for fans who like seeing different styles of tennis, if there was more surface variety.

We need slow surfaces on the tour, and we also need fast surfaces. Tennis would suck if the majority of surfaces were ice rinks that gave rise to ace-fests, and it sucks at the moment with too much tennis being played on slower hard courts. Players grinding so much on at these hard court events is harmful to their long term health as well, with their bodies taking a such pounding.

I think that the red clay tournaments need to be slowed down, the Wimbledon grass needs to be sped up, there needs to be a greater difference between the Australian and US Open hard courts with one of them playing fast and the other playing slow, carpet needs to be re-introduced and implemented at all the indoor events and Miami needs to change surface to green clay.

The extra week that will be introduced between RG and Wimbledon from 2015 is a very welcome (and long overdue) step in the right direction.
LeChuck is offline  
post #896 of 1940 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,225
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
I should explain that by top player fan, I mean someone who only cares about whether their favourite player continues to rack up the big titles, and doesn't care about much about the rest of the sport in general.

Of course it would be better for the players as a whole and for fans who like seeing different styles of tennis, if there was more surface variety.

We need slow surfaces on the tour, and we also need fast surfaces. Tennis would suck if the majority of surfaces were ice rinks that gave rise to ace-fests, and it sucks at the moment with too much tennis being played on slower hard courts. Players grinding so much on at these hard court events is harmful to their long term health as well, with their bodies taking a such pounding.

I think that the red clay tournaments need to be slowed down, the Wimbledon grass needs to be sped up, there needs to be a greater difference between the Australian and US Open hard courts with one of them playing fast and the other playing slow, carpet needs to be re-introduced and implemented at all the indoor events and Miami needs to change surface to green clay.

The extra week that will be introduced between RG and Wimbledon from 2015 is a very welcome (and long overdue) step in the right direction.
There's not much you can do about clay if it's warm. It's more about the balls, I think.


The "Who plays tennis?" thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Rod Laver
Roger is like a good red wine, he’s getting better with age.
Looner is offline  
post #897 of 1940 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Registered User
 
JanKowalski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Poland
Age: 34
Posts: 1,933
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
I should explain that by top player fan, I mean someone who only cares about whether their favourite player continues to rack up the big titles, and doesn't care about much about the rest of the sport in general.

Of course it would be better for the players as a whole and for fans who like seeing different styles of tennis, if there was more surface variety.

We need slow surfaces on the tour, and we also need fast surfaces. Tennis would suck if the majority of surfaces were ice rinks that gave rise to ace-fests, and it sucks at the moment with too much tennis being played on slower hard courts. Players grinding so much on at these hard court events is harmful to their long term health as well, with their bodies taking a such pounding.

I think that the red clay tournaments need to be slowed down, the Wimbledon grass needs to be sped up, there needs to be a greater difference between the Australian and US Open hard courts with one of them playing fast and the other playing slow, carpet needs to be re-introduced and implemented at all the indoor events and Miami needs to change surface to green clay.

The extra week that will be introduced between RG and Wimbledon from 2015 is a very welcome (and long overdue) step in the right direction.
That's going too far. Carpet would produce ace-fests, which almost nobody wants. Although a couple of 250s or even 1 500 would be fine IMO, but not a 1000, and definately not ALL indoor events.

4th clay 1000? No thanks.

As for indoor hard, didn't you hear? The trend pushed by Djokovic is to marginalize indoor tennis (make it optional, put WTF right after the US Open). The next step will probably be switching WTF to outdoor hc. Djokovic/Murray is the future, so we all know who the ATP will listen to. It would be bad business no to cater to the current top players. Who cares about being fair (providing varied conditions) to lower ranked players. Who cares about Fed, who is declining and will retire in a couple of years at most.

Last edited by JanKowalski; 11-13-2012 at 05:33 PM.
JanKowalski is offline  
post #898 of 1940 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Registered User
 
GOAT = Fed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,091
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanKowalski View Post
That's going too far. Carpet would produce ace-fests, which almost nobody wants. Although a couple of 250s or even 1 500 would be fine IMO, but not a 1000.

4th clay 1000? No thanks.

As for indoor hard, didn't you hear? The trend pushed by Djokovic is to marginalize indoor tennis (make it optional, put WTF right after the US Open). The next step will probably be switching WTF to outdoor hc. Djokovic/Murray is the future, so we all know who the ATP will listen to. It would be bad business no to cater to the current top payers. Who cares about being fair (providing varied conditions) to lower ranked players. Who cares about Fed, who is declining and will retire in a couple of years at most.
So you're proposing to make the sport cater to only the top 2 players?
GOAT = Fed is offline  
post #899 of 1940 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Registered User
 
Burrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 19,299
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
There's not much you can do about clay if it's warm. It's more about the balls, I think.
The type of clay and amount of clay do play a big part, but balls is obviously a big factor too, across the board.
Burrow is offline  
post #900 of 1940 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,889
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Just out of curiosity, does anyone recall a comment about surfaces from Federer from his top period where what he describes became evident and he was the main beneficiary?
tribalfusion is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome