"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 44 - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!
Speed up the courts 338 79.16%
Leave them as they are 89 20.84%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

 19Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #646 of 1959 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 27
Posts: 42,254
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts" thread

99% of players are also incapable of closing the net. They have shit volleys, and crap their pants at the thought of having to hit a volley vs. an opponent's passing shot. I don't think the slow courts are the issue so much as lack of variety of play from the players. If you have even decent volleys, good approach shots, and some semblance of net closing angles, it is still possible to play an aggressive game, even on these courts. Angles, baby, angles.

Saying the courts are too slow and the balls too slow to play an aggressive game is too easy, even though it may be true. Fight through it.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #647 of 1959 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Registered User
 
Li Ching Yuen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Down Low.
Posts: 5,250
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
99% of players are also incapable of closing the net. They have shit volleys, and crap their pants at the thought of having to hit a volley vs. an opponent's passing shot. I don't think the slow courts are the issue so much as lack of variety of play from the players. If you have even decent volleys, good approach shots, and some semblance of net closing angles, it is still possible to play an aggressive game, even on these courts. Angles, baby, angles.

Saying the courts are too slow and the balls too slow to play an aggressive game is too easy, even though it may be true. Fight through it.
Now it all makes sense why you can't even win Futures matches.
Li Ching Yuen is offline  
post #648 of 1959 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Registered User
 
EddieNero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 51
Posts: 3,553
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
99% of players are also incapable of closing the net. They have shit volleys, and crap their pants at the thought of having to hit a volley vs. an opponent's passing shot. I don't think the slow courts are the issue so much as lack of variety of play from the players. If you have even decent volleys, good approach shots, and some semblance of net closing angles, it is still possible to play an aggressive game, even on these courts. Angles, baby, angles.

Saying the courts are too slow and the balls too slow to play an aggressive game is too easy, even though it may be true. Fight through it.
Players have shitty volleys because they aren't thaught otherwise. They aren't thaught otherwise because ass-slow surfaces do not suit offenssive-minded competitors and instead it's more efficient to teach them a solid baseline game with decent serve, at once caring for their physical progress.

If the surfaces were considerably faster most of players would be simply forced to learn a volley-shot in order to avoid rank fall.
EddieNero is offline  
post #649 of 1959 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:51 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 27
Posts: 42,254
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Ching Yuen View Post
Now it all makes sense why you can't even win Futures matches.
I am guilty of being too aggressive at times, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNero View Post
Players have shitty volleys because they aren't thaught otherwise. They aren't thaught otherwise because ass-slow surfaces do not suit offenssive-minded competitors and instead it's more efficient to teach them a solid baseline game with decent serve, at once caring for their physical progress.

If the surfaces were considerably faster most of players would be simply forced to learn a volley-shot in order to avoid rank fall.
Eh, its a ying-yang kind of thing. If the courts are slow, coaches don't teach the volley, when the surfaces are faster, they have no choice but to learn a net game.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Laver
We all choke. That’s all right. We’re not machines. What you have to learn is to accept that fact and not panic. It’s the panic that loses the matches, not the nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Player
The harder you try, the luckier you get.
Johnny Groove is offline  
post #650 of 1959 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Registered User
 
Sophocles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 42
Posts: 8,991
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Not even that.

All of the top players, on any surface, have shit odds every match. It's impossible to make a profit on them. Only decent money I've made on tennis this year was Nadull over Fed at 13/8 AO semi finals and Nadull at 4-6 3-4 down also at 13/8 in-play against Nalbandian.
Very true. The prices are ridiculous.

"There is no such thing as 'the world'." - Enoch Powell.
Sophocles is offline  
post #651 of 1959 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Registered User
 
Uncle Latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 39
Posts: 12,609
                     
Madrid faster than some hard court events?

Just watching Verdasco - Nadal and Rafa has to play numerous baseline demi voleys after Nando's returns, which is

Despite the ball bouncing much higher than hard courts, it goes with quite a speed through the air and surface and makes it look at least faster than AO for example.

What do u think?
Uncle Latso is offline  
post #652 of 1959 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,113
                     
Re: Madrid faster than some hard court events?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
Just watching Verdasco - Nadal and Rafa has to play numerous baseline demi voleys after Nando's returns, which is

Despite the ball bouncing much higher than hard courts, it goes with quite a speed through the air and surface and makes it look at least faster than AO for example.

Serve hold %s

Australian Open 76.3%
Madrid 2009/2010/2011 78.3%
Madrid 2012 81.4%


The highest hard court figure is Cincy at 82.1%. Blue-Madrid is higher than all the others, and indeed higher than half of indoor courts.
philosophicalarf is offline  
post #653 of 1959 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Registered User
 
Uncle Latso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 39
Posts: 12,609
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Ion Tiriac for President then
Uncle Latso is offline  
post #654 of 1959 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,135
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

They sped up the wrong surface.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #655 of 1959 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Registered User
 
LastRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,723
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

All surface should be as fast as Madrid. All pushers would vanish from top 100. Good for the game

Quote:
Davydenko: "I don't drink so much because I'm skinny. I only mix. Sometimes with Red Bull to get power in nightclub or disco. But if I drink only (straight) vodka I go sleep straight away."
LastRocket is offline  
post #656 of 1959 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Registered User
 
LeChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,081
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Speed up grass, indoor courts and some hard courts (but not all of them we need a healthy balance of both fast and slow hard courts).

Slow down clay.

Of course none of this will happen but we can all dream.
LeChuck is offline  
post #657 of 1959 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Registered User
 
Henry Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,751
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Almagro hit 53 winners today in 3 sets on clay.

Nadal and Djokovic combined hit 48 winners in the Wimbledon final, 4 sets on grass.

Makes sense.
Henry Chinaski is offline  
post #658 of 1959 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Registered User
 
JanKowalski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Poland
Age: 34
Posts: 1,933
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

So, how's Roland Garros this year? Same balls as last year?
JanKowalski is offline  
post #659 of 1959 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Registered User
 
Midnight Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bombay
Age: 29
Posts: 1,023
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Early to confirm but looks like it's not at last years speed.
Midnight Ninja is offline  
post #660 of 1959 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,270
                     
Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Apparently the balls fluff up quicker this year. Not as fast as last year but the weather is hot for now so it's quite fast.


The "Who plays tennis?" thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Rod Laver
Roger is like a good red wine, he’s getting better with age.

Last edited by Looner; 05-27-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Looner is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome