Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5 - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:18 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12,122
                     
Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
so you think he went on court intending to lose? He would have been mad if he won?

he went on court knowing that losing this match would give him the chance to go earlier to NY and do a better preparation.

no cause there have been numerous cases of players not putting effort and not intending to go through the next round ending up winning the match somehow. in his case he would still have time to fly to NY and do a decent praparation even if he had to play another match in WS

Last edited by motorhead; 08-21-2013 at 01:23 AM.
motorhead is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:34 AM
Registered User
 
156mphserve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,258
                     
Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

If he didn't go on court with the plan to lose or if he didn't intend to lose sometime during the match then it wasn't a tank according to my definition of a tank.

MTF logic, player looks lazy, like he doesn't care = tank. When it's not a tank, it's just a lack of energy, or a lack of caring. People seem to believe that everytime a player steps on court they are completely energetic, ready to put 100% into the match. He probably felt lazy, and he didn't really care so he didn't put all his effort into winning because it didn't really matter to him.

Sure that's fine. But it's not a tank

2012 Chennai Champion
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
Milos

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline  
post #33 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Registered User
 
grkhetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 335
                     
Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popo21 View Post
Tanking is about the lack of effort...I've seen Seppi play hundreds of times but here he was clearly not trying to win and didn't care about the match.
Johnson is running around making shots while Seppi wouldn't take 3 steps to his right to run down an easily returnable ball
I havent seen the match, but sometimes ball speed is not very apparent from the TV. The ball may be 3 steps away but fast enough to be unreturnable. (Or Seppi might have been just looking forward to the US Open -- maybe he had a flight booked tonight ;-) )

I still remember Fernando Gonzales's forehands at Rolland Garros a few years ago (in 2009) --- my GOD!!!! He used to frequently "explode" into a forehand that passes within 1 or 2 steps of the opponent, and the opponent wouldnt even *attempt* to move. He knew it was a "Gonzo forehand".
grkhetan is offline  
post #34 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:39 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12,122
                     
Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

let's just say then that it was no tank at all but just an amazing coincidence that he felt lazy precisely playing the turney right before the uso out of all the tuneys in his schedule.
motorhead is offline  
post #35 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12,122
                     
Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
he didn't really care so he didn't put all his effort into winning because it didn't really matter to him.
that's exactly the definition of a tank when there's something more important ahead.
motorhead is offline  
post #36 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:44 AM
Registered User
 
156mphserve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,258
                     
Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
that's exactly the definition of a tank when there's something more important ahead.
not my definition and urban dictionary's but feel free to have your own

Tanking is intending to lose. Unfoetunately mtf has used it so much in vain that nobody knows what it means anymore

2012 Chennai Champion
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
Milos

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline  
post #37 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:46 AM
Registered User
 
Joey Tribbiani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Milan
Age: 24
Posts: 11,361
                     
Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
let's just say then that it was no tank at all but just an amazing coincidence that he felt lazy precisely playing the turney right before the uso out of all the tuneys in his schedule.
Seppi lose so many match this year, almost all of them without Grand Slams incoming.

Match that he could/should won.
Joey Tribbiani is offline  
post #38 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:50 AM
Registered User
 
Joey Tribbiani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Milan
Age: 24
Posts: 11,361
                     
Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
not my definition and urban dictionary's but feel free to have your own

Tanking is intending to lose. Unfoetunately mtf has used it so much in vain that nobody knows what it means anymore

Didn't really care, didn't putt all his effort, didn't really matter to him = intentionally lose.

Is the same thing, wake up.
Joey Tribbiani is offline  
post #39 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:55 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12,122
                     
Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_92 View Post
Seppi lose so many match this year, almost all of them without Grand Slams incoming.

Match that he could/should won.
like which one? one his funniest results this year is losing to Lu on clay, 3 sets. guess what was next? FO

Last edited by motorhead; 08-21-2013 at 02:00 AM.
motorhead is offline  
post #40 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:56 AM
Registered User
 
156mphserve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,258
                     
Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_92 View Post
Didn't really care, didn't putt all his effort, didn't really matter to him = intentionally lose.

Is the same thing, wake up.
oh sorry was I dozing off? The conversation was rather boring. I hope you forgive me.

As for being the same I'm sure someone disciplining a player for Trying to lose would suspend them longer than they would suspend someone for not giving 100%

You think Gulbis cared for the years 2009-2012? He hardly cared at all but he was winning sometimes. I guess we'll say he tanked his career

Not caring and intentionally losing are 2 completely different things that often lead to the same result

2012 Chennai Champion
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
Milos

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline  
post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:59 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12,122
                     
Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
not my definition and urban dictionary's but feel free to have your own

Tanking is intending to lose. Unfoetunately mtf has used it so much in vain that nobody knows what it means anymore
apart from the fact that all the things you quoted from urban dictionary are synonymous of terms I mentioned. do you realise you are using the defition of tank for justifying a non-tank performance according to you?

I assume you obviously rule out the tank hypothesis in Seppi's defeat against Lu on clay too as they played 29 games and everything above a 6-0 6-0 is not classified as tank on urban dictionary?
motorhead is offline  
post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:02 AM
Registered User
 
156mphserve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,258
                     
Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
apart from the fact that all the things you quoted from urban dictionary are synonymous of terms I mentioned. do you realise you are using the defition of tank for justifying a non-tank performance according to you?

I assume you obviously rule out the tank hypothesis in Seppi's defeat against Lu on clay too as they played 29 games and everything above a 6-0 6-0 is not classified as tank on urban dictionary?
did he try to lose? If yes then it was a tank

People throw around tank way to loosely here. There are maybe 10 tanks on the ATP level a year as an estimate. But around here people have come to call everything a tank the moment they see a player lacking a little energy.

That's MTF for you, they'd call everyone a fixer and a doper too if it weren't against the rules. Fixing would mean the same as tanking does now, and doping would mean playing above your normal level. That's what happens when words are thrown around like that. They start to lose any real meaning

2012 Chennai Champion
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
Milos

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline  
post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12,122
                     
Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post

There are maybe 10 tanks on the ATP level a year as an estimate.


LOL
motorhead is offline  
post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:06 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12,122
                     
Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
did he try to lose? If yes then it was a tank

People throw around tank way to loosely here. There are maybe 10 tanks on the ATP level a year as an estimate. But around here people have come to call everything a tank the moment they see a player lacking a little energy.

That's MTF for you, they'd call everyone a fixer and a doper too if it weren't against the rules. Fixing would mean the same as tanking does now, and doping would mean playing above your normal level. That's what happens when words are thrown around like that. They start to lose any real meaning
would you mind answering me on Lu's match just to have a last laugh for today?
motorhead is offline  
post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 AM
Registered User
 
Joey Tribbiani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Milan
Age: 24
Posts: 11,361
                     
Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
oh sorry was I dozing off? The conversation was rather boring. I hope you forgive me.

As for being the same I'm sure someone disciplining a player for Trying to lose would suspend them longer than they would suspend someone for not giving 100%

You think Gulbis cared for the years 2009-2012? He hardly cared at all but he was winning sometimes. I guess we'll say he tanked his career

Not caring and intentionally losing are 2 completely different things that often lead to the same result
Why you didn't care? If you wanna win, you have to care.
But you didn't care, beacuse you had no intentions of winning the match.
So you intentionally lose.

I repeat, wake up.

One thing is didn't care and lose = tank.

One thing is playing bad and lose = it happens, but is not tank.
Joey Tribbiani is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome