More wonderful espn converage - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 488
                     
More wonderful espn converage

I went to the Lipton every day except thursday, including the qualifying, but just needed a day off to rest from the terrible heat. I was really excited about seeing Nadal vs Ferdasco, Safin, Ljubicic, or Nalbandian on tv and in the shade. I would have even liked to see some of the doubles matches that were going on. Instead I turn on the tv and see Serena Williams.

Everyone I talked to there said they were happy that the Wiliams sisters were not promoted this year as the main reason why you'd want to go to the event. Yet espn still shows one of them instead of a match people would actually want to see. I can't stand this.
Maxpowers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Not a Registered User
 
El Legenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: US of A
Posts: 30,181
                     
Re: More wonderful espn converage

its ESPN..what do you expect..

El Legenda is offline  
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Registered User
 
Tennis Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Not on the court, obviously.
Age: 43
Posts: 8,752
                     
Re: More wonderful espn converage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I went to the Lipton every day except thursday, including the qualifying, but just needed a day off to rest from the terrible heat. I was really excited about seeing Nadal vs Ferdasco, Safin, Ljubicic, or Nalbandian on tv and in the shade. I would have even liked to see some of the doubles matches that were going on. Instead I turn on the tv and see Serena Williams.

Everyone I talked to there said they were happy that the Wiliams sisters were not promoted this year as the main reason why you'd want to go to the event. Yet espn still shows one of them instead of a match people would actually want to see. I can't stand this.


The Williams Sisters=Huge Ratings. Even those who don't llike them watch. I fail to see your point
Tennis Fool is offline  
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 488
                     
Re: More wonderful espn converage

My point is that other matches would have better ratings and the fans would enjoy them more. The only reason people are sitting in the stadium is because they paid for box seats and want to use them. They would be in there even if they gave 2 monkeys racquets and had them play. A lot of people sit there even when they bring little kids on the court or do stupid events like have people from the stands hit cones or something.

I don't think anyone turns on the tv and says "I hope they are showing the Williams sisters. I really want to watch them." There are a lot of people like me who want to see the players I mentioned before, and are not watching the match because they are showing one of the Williams sisters.
Maxpowers is offline  
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 11:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11
                     
Re: More wonderful espn converage

I can't stand the Williams sisters especially Serena but the fact is that the average ESPN viewer is much more likely to watch her than Nadal, Verdasco, Ljubicic, Safin and Nalbandian. Honestly the average ESPN viewer will have no idea who any of these players are except possibly Safin. A hardcore tennis fan will watch those players but pretty much everyone else channel surfing will keep going unless they recognize the player.
Gaucho is offline  
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 11:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 154
                     
Re: More wonderful espn converage

Maxpowers, I could not agree with you more about ESPN and their lack of good tennis coverage and folks and their stadium seats. If I had more time, I would voice my thoughts, maybe later. Gaucho, you make a good point also about the average viewer of ESPN and yet I can't help but think that anyone with a good eye is going to stop their clicker if they see Nadal and Verdasco selling life insurance!
Kathy is offline  
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 341
                     
Re: More wonderful espn converage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I went to the Lipton every day except thursday, including the qualifying, but just needed a day off to rest from the terrible heat. I was really excited about seeing Nadal vs Ferdasco, Safin, Ljubicic, or Nalbandian on tv and in the shade. I would have even liked to see some of the doubles matches that were going on. Instead I turn on the tv and see Serena Williams.

Everyone I talked to there said they were happy that the Wiliams sisters were not promoted this year as the main reason why you'd want to go to the event. Yet espn still shows one of them instead of a match people would actually want to see. I can't stand this.
Please, you must know nothing ever changes. Don't count on seeing Nadal, Ljubicic, Monfils, or even Federer. Now that Roddick is out, it's all Agassi and women's tennis from here on out. And if Agassi loses, we'll never see a men's match again

Tommorow's matches have already been announced. Sharapova at 1pm (ESPN) and Agassi at 3pm (ESPN 2)
ftd999 is offline  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 11:33 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Havok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Age: 31
Posts: 9,460
                     
Re: More wonderful espn converage

Matches involving people outside of WIlliams x2, Agassi, Roddick, Federer, Sharapova, Capriati, Davenport, Safin, Hewitt will NOT have better ratings. Sure die-hard tennis fans would enjoy seeing other matchups, but tv is all about ratings. Why the hell do people not understand this?

Andy Roddick.Fernando Verdasco.Richard Gasquet.Tommy Haas





Havok is offline  
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Registered User
 
liptea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In Carlos Moya's heart. Possibly also his pants.
Posts: 4,176
                     
Re: More wonderful espn converage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho
I can't stand the Williams sisters especially Serena but the fact is that the average ESPN viewer is much more likely to watch her than Nadal, Verdasco, Ljubicic, Safin and Nalbandian. Honestly the average ESPN viewer will have no idea who any of these players are except possibly Safin.
The average tennis player is hardly going to tune in to watch any tennis on Easter Sunday.

That being said, it didn't look like Nadal-Verdasco was too good of a match, but I really wanted to see Nalbandian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday View Post
If I want to write something on any thread then I'll do it on my own time
liptea is offline  
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Senior Member
 
NATAS81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Monte Carlo, Monaco
Age: 34
Posts: 19,353
                     
Re: More wonderful espn converage

Maybe one day, ESPN will televise a live match that is actually close.
NATAS81 is offline  
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 12:08 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 341
                     
Re: More wonderful espn converage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool


The Williams Sisters=Huge Ratings. Even those who don't llike them watch. I fail to see your point
Unfortunately, you're right. I complain, but I reward ESPN for their crappy coverage as well. Serena was up 5-0 in the first today, and, even though I wasn't really watching, I still had it on because I just like having tennis on in the background.
ftd999 is offline  
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 12:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 341
                     
Re: More wonderful espn converage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATAS81
Maybe one day, ESPN will televise a live match that is actually close.
Keep telling yourself that I've been watching consistently since the eighties, and nothing has really changed much. There have been some networks with good coverage (I thought HBO and TNT did much better jobs than ESPN; and I think USA blows ESPN out of the water) but for some reason they always give up tennis coverage. Not profitable I guess.
ftd999 is offline  
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 12:12 AM
Registered User
 
liptea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In Carlos Moya's heart. Possibly also his pants.
Posts: 4,176
                     
Re: More wonderful espn converage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftd999
Unfortunately, you're right. I complain, but I reward ESPN for their crappy coverage as well. Serena was up 5-0 in the first today, and, even though I wasn't really watching, I still had it on because I just like having tennis on in the background.
I did the same thing. And I was writing a paper at the same time, but I just kept thinking, "How often is tennis ever on television? Take advantage of the crap."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday View Post
If I want to write something on any thread then I'll do it on my own time
liptea is offline  
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Senior Member
 
NATAS81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Monte Carlo, Monaco
Age: 34
Posts: 19,353
                     
Re: More wonderful espn converage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftd999
Keep telling yourself that I've been watching consistently since the eighties, and nothing has really changed much. There have been some networks with good coverage (I thought HBO and TNT did much better jobs than ESPN; and I think USA blows ESPN out of the water) but for some reason they always give up tennis coverage. Not profitable I guess.
Probably because ESPN is the main source for American sports, and they figure they will draw the diehard sports fans.

Either way ratings aside, I can't stand this bunch of sports-Nazi's much longer with what they're doing to tennis.
NATAS81 is offline  
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Registered User
 
liptea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In Carlos Moya's heart. Possibly also his pants.
Posts: 4,176
                     
Re: More wonderful espn converage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATAS81
Probably because ESPN is the main source for American sports, and they figure they will draw the diehard sports fans.

Either way ratings aside, I can't stand this bunch of sports-Nazi's much longer with what they're doing to tennis.
Um, when I was in Italy, during Miami, I didn't see tennis on TV except once. And they were playing the Miami final from two years ago, and then started showing soccer/football. And all our hotels had cable. Maybe I just missed the unlimited coverage that occurs outside of the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday View Post
If I want to write something on any thread then I'll do it on my own time
liptea is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome