Today was a great day!!! - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 326
                     
Today was a great day!!!

I just finished watching both semis. All I can say is WOW!!!

1) I don't know what to say about LLeyton. Roger threw everything at him and still he lost AND Lleyton is sick, not serving well, not to mention a few other holes I noticed in his game.
Roger 21 break chances and only 5 converts!!!!! It reminded me of the San Jose final between Andre and LLeyton. Andre pretty much had the same problem.

2) I am sorry to say that I have not paid a lot of attention to Juan Carlos this year. I think the only match of his I saw, other then his RR match against Andre, was the French Open final. I did not know he could play such spectacular tennis. Stamp me "converted" to the JCF religion. May the High Priestess (Becca) accept my humble offerings.

3) From what I can gather from this year, other than Marat in peak form (TMS Paris), any other player even in peak form will not get over LLeyton if he is determined to win a title. So my question is Why is it exactly that Moya can dismantle LLeyton so easily? I really do not get it. On another board I read that Moya is to Lleyton what Ferreira was to Sampras but that still does not explain what weakness Moya has found in LLeyton's game that no other player can find/exploit.

4) Will this loss invigorate Roger for Oz or will it hurt him mentally?
I hope it's the former. I'd like to see him cause some damage at the open

5) Compared to Jensen and Washington's conmmentary in Paris I found Drysdale and McEnroe amazingly lacking particularly in the enthusiasm department considering how energized the crowd was.

6) I don't care who wins tomorrow. Well I am pulling for Hewitt a little bit (really just for the lleyki factor) but if he doesn't win , it'll be ok so long as I get 5 sets of riveting tennis like today.
luvbadboys is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 10:32 PM
Registered User
 
Chloe le Bopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,276
                     
IMO, just about anything Hewitt can do, Moya can do better.

With the exceptions of speed, and ability to grind perhaps.

Moya serves better, and can outhit Hewitt off the ground. Furthermore he believes he can beat Hewitt, which is more than can be said for other people named Roger.

Anyhow - what astounds me is that Ferrero has a 7-2!!!! record against Moya I adore Ferrero and all, but really - 7-2?

I lack direction.

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 10:34 PM
Registered User
 
Chloe le Bopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,276
                     
Quote:
2) I am sorry to say that I have not paid a lot of attention to Juan Carlos this year. I think the only match of his I saw, other then his RR match against Andre, was the French Open final. I did not know he could play such spectacular tennis. Stamp me "converted" to the JCF religion. May the High Priestess (Becca) accept my humble offerings.
Offerings accepted. Good on you to finally see the light.

I lack direction.

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 10:36 PM
Registered User
 
Chloe le Bopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,276
                     
What annoys me about Hewitt is that he beats people who are many times over more talented than he is physically.

I used to admire it - okay I still do - but it is annoying to watch players who should be beating this guy, lose to him because they are mentally weak.

Don't do the same Ferrero

I lack direction.

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 10:55 PM
Cracked out on D/S!
 
Murkofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Age: 31
Posts: 27,194
                     
I don't know that I would say MM does everything better than Lleyton, minus what Rebecca mentioned. But I also can't say he doesn't, as I find MM too minging to watch.

The fact that Lleyton beats guys that are supposedly more talented than he is is one of the reasons I love him. It's also the main reason why I don't like any of the other ATP players ( minus Pim Pim and Olivier Rochus, my future husband ) such as Safin and Haas and PN. Everyone talks about how talented they are, but in the grand scheme of things, they haven't really done much. (Yes, I realize they're still young.) Having "every shot in the book," as Patty Mac reiterated about PN time and time again today, and yet not having the mental werewithal to back it up is just sad. I feel pretty disdainful towards all of them.

Brazen Barmy Bitch

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/LosDosMos/10.jpg


"I'm just on a mission today. But the end result, you will feel better."
"Not when you go home alone tonight I won't..."

"What is your good luck charm?"
"You."
--Derek and Shannon
Murkofan is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 11:05 PM
Registered User
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Age: 33
Posts: 70,027
                     
Lleyton fights better, is more consistant, and no one moves as well. That's why he's #1 imo. Power only gets you so far.


Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 12:09 AM
Registered User
 
TennisHack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: the arms of a Swissie
Posts: 10,038
                     
Re: Today was a great day!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by luvbadboys
5) Compared to Jensen and Washington's conmmentary in Paris I found Drysdale and McEnroe amazingly lacking particularly in the enthusiasm department considering how energized the crowd was.
LMAO!! Welcome to the Dynamic Duo--all inanity, all the time

PMac hates, Hates, HATES the Spanish players for some reason, but I'm surprised if he didn't at least drool a little bit over either Federer or Hewitt. His favorites, of course, are Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick--so that tells you something right there.

Cliffy rules, though. If you wanna know why in greater detail, visit the JCF forum

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The Tennis Refuge

You will be missed, Michel Kratochvil!
TennisHack is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 12:21 AM
Registered User
 
Chloe le Bopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,276
                     
Yes, Cliff is in my good books right now.

Pat can buzz off.

I lack direction.

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 12:22 AM
Registered User
 
Chloe le Bopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,276
                     
I konw that power will only get you so far.

However Moya has been number one, and won a slam - among other things.

He has more than just power, which is why he beats hewitt.

I lack direction.

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 12:34 AM
Registered User
 
tennischick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,771
                     
Quote:
Originally posted by Rebecca
What annoys me about Hewitt is that he beats people who are many times over more talented than he is physically.
i made this exact same point to a friend tonite. and we concluded that he is just a scrambler. and it pisses us both off that that is all it takes to win. just ask Serena....grrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Q. When you've played as few matches as you have over the last two, three months, did you ever lack motivation to go out and practice?

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 01:05 AM
Registered User
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Age: 33
Posts: 70,027
                     
poor tc


Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 01:08 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,660
                     
Hewitt is just a scrambler??? I don't even know where to begin. First of all, can anyone else scramble and come up with those amazing shots like Hewitt? NO!

Hewitt is not physically gifted??? Incredible timing, footspeed, returns the ball even when stretched out beyond believe, incredible balance and ability to absorb/redirect power and a very, very smart sense of the court. Pinpoint precision with his groundstrokes.

Personally I thing Lleyton has a depth of talent that has not been tapped. He does so many things well that I have no doubt that he can learn many more shots. He has improved his slices greatly and also can now generate quite a bit more topspin than he could just a year ago.

I just don't get how people can watch 3 hours of this guy finding ways to deal with incredible attacking offense from the opponent and come away with the conclusion that he is just a scrambler. Just a scrambler would be Amanda Coetzer (whom I adore and who also has a lot of talent that is underrated).

Why should it just be about visible weapons? Brains and savvy and grit and fight are WEAPONS too and IMHO are the most exciting weapons. Lots of guys have fabulous forehands, backhands or serve or volleys but how many have the mental strength or court awareness of players like Hewitt, Steffi Graf or Sampras for example.

I am amazed every time I watch Lleyton cuz he makes the nearly impossible seem easier. So much so that some of you dismiss him but we all know in our hearts that Lleyton is very special and very talented. Sure there are guys who will overpower him or outplay him but he will be there again to beat them the next time. He lost to Federer badly in Miami but then beat him in Paris (or was it Madrid?) and then fought an incredible battle today. He lost to Marat in Paris pretty convincingly but then fought back and beat him here. That's what's great about him. He gives 110% on EVERY SINGLE POINT!
martinatreue is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 01:10 AM
Registered User
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Age: 33
Posts: 70,027
                     
Well said, Marti.


Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 10:24 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6
 
Re: Today was a great day!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by luvbadboys
I just finished watching both semis. All I can say is WOW!!!

1) I don't know what to say about LLeyton. Roger threw everything at him and still he lost AND Lleyton is sick, not serving well, not to mention a few other holes I noticed in his game.
Roger 21 break chances and only 5 converts!!!!! It reminded me of the San Jose final between Andre and LLeyton. Andre pretty much had the same problem.

2) I am sorry to say that I have not paid a lot of attention to Juan Carlos this year. I think the only match of his I saw, other then his RR match against Andre, was the French Open final. I did not know he could play such spectacular tennis. Stamp me "converted" to the JCF religion. May the High Priestess (Becca) accept my humble offerings.

3) From what I can gather from this year, other than Marat in peak form (TMS Paris), any other player even in peak form will not get over LLeyton if he is determined to win a title. So my question is Why is it exactly that Moya can dismantle LLeyton so easily? I really do not get it. On another board I read that Moya is to Lleyton what Ferreira was to Sampras but that still does not explain what weakness Moya has found in LLeyton's game that no other player can find/exploit.

4) Will this loss invigorate Roger for Oz or will it hurt him mentally?
I hope it's the former. I'd like to see him cause some damage at the open

5) Compared to Jensen and Washington's conmmentary in Paris I found Drysdale and McEnroe amazingly lacking particularly in the enthusiasm department considering how energized the crowd was.

6) I don't care who wins tomorrow. Well I am pulling for Hewitt a little bit (really just for the lleyki factor) but if he doesn't win , it'll be ok so long as I get 5 sets of riveting tennis like today.

You DID get your 5 sets of riveting tennis, didn't you?
Grey Squirrel is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 10:37 AM
Registered User
 
tennisvideos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 495
                     
MartinaTreue... well said indeed!!!

Bravo Lleyton!

TENNIS VIDEOS:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/tennisvideos1/


Fave players: .. Seles .. Hingis .. Serena .. Venus .. Molik .. Stosur .. Sharapova .. Federer .. Roddick .. Hewitt .. Haas .. Rafter .. Safin ..
70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Roberta Flack .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. A Course in Miracles .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks ..
tennisvideos is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome