The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,940
                     
The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013

Interesting stat going around twitter about record of the current top 5 against top 10 competition this year:

Djokovic: 7-3 (losses to Nadal, Berdych and Delpo)
Murray: 4-3 (losses to Djokovic, Delpo and Berdych)
Federer: 1-5 (losses to Murray, Berdych, Nadal x2, Tsonga)
Ferrer: 1-6 (losses to Nadal x4, Murray, Djokovic)
Nadal: 12-1 (loss to Djokovic)

Last edited by Ash86; 06-22-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Ash86 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Registered User
 
Sanya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 2,588
                     
Re: The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013

And... what? Nadal should be given title already then?

Gasquet is next №1
Sanya is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Registered User
 
Rychu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Age: 22
Posts: 19,794
                     
Re: The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013

Ferrer

The game bores me now

Federer - Del Potro
Rychu is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Registered User
 
Federer in 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,771
                     
Re: The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013



ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe*

*Not anymore...

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
Federer in 2 is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,940
                     
Re: The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
And... what? Nadal should be given title already then?
Ummmm no. I don't see Nadal as the favourite for Wimbledon actually. It's just interesting to see what the level of the players this year has been- Fed had only beaten Tsonga - lost to every other top 10 player. That's telling. Of course Nadal's record is good as he's only played one tournament off clay but he did beat 3 top 10 players then too (Berdych, Fed, Delpo).

Also interesting that Ferrer has only lost to members of "Big 4" - he's very consistent these days vs Tsonga, Berdych etc. though I'm not sure he's met them much this year.

Nadal won't keep up that record on HCs but it's not irrelevant to gauge the current level of the top players based on these stats...
Ash86 is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Registered User
 
Federer in 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,771
                     
Re: The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Ummmm no. I don't see Nadal as the favourite for Wimbledon actually. It's just interesting to see what the level of the players this year has been- Fed had only beaten Tsonga - lost to every other top 10 player. That's telling. Of course Nadal's record is good as he's only played one tournament off clay but he did beat 3 top 10 players then too (Berdych, Fed, Delpo).

Also interesting that Ferrer has only lost to members of "Big 4" - he's very consistent these days vs Tsonga, Berdych etc. though I'm not sure he's met them much this year.

Nadal won't keep up that record on HCs but it's not irrelevant to gauge the current level of the top players based on these stats...
Yes, it is. Wawrinka is 5-7, while Ferrer is (according to you) 1-6. Yet clearly Ferrer > Wawrinka.


ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe*

*Not anymore...

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
Federer in 2 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,940
                     
Re: The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer in 2 View Post
Yes, it is. Wawrinka is 5-7, while Ferrer is (according to you) 1-6. Yet clearly Ferrer > Wawrinka.
Not when it comes to how much of a threat he is to the top 4. Wawrinka has shown this year he has it within him to beat the big guys - came close to beating Djokovic, 5th setter in DC etc. His performance v top 10 is why he's having such a great year. Ferrer on the other hand has picked up his points due to his kind draws - not facing as many top 10 players and losing to them when he has faced them...
Ash86 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
 
duarte_a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 11,082
                     
Re: The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013

Given that nadal played all but 1 tournaments on clay this year and only faced a tired Del Potro and an injured Federer in the lone HC tournament he played I'm suprised it isn't 13-0 this year.

P.S.: I see he also beat Berdych. But he is useless against Dull as we know.


Last edited by duarte_a; 06-22-2013 at 11:31 AM.
duarte_a is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Registered User
 
Federer in 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,771
                     
Re: The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Not when it comes to how much of a threat he is to the top 4. Wawrinka has shown this year he has it within him to beat the big guys - came close to beating Djokovic, 5th setter in DC etc. His performance v top 10 is why he's having such a great year. Ferrer on the other hand has picked up his points due to his kind draws - not facing as many top 10 players and losing to them when he has faced them...
Oh what a load of crap

Since the beginning of 2012 Ferrer only lost 2 times to players from the current top ten outside the big 4, both of those times to Wawrinka. That's 2 losses in 18 months. I'm sorry but you are completely misreading the numbers.
He might be less of a threat to the top 4 than guys like Berdych, Tsonga and JMDP, but this particular stat has absolutely nothing to do with that. He lost 6 matches to the 3 best players in the world right now, and all 6 were on the opponent's best surface. It's all about who you face. Ferrer was good enough to work his way through players inferior to him (Tsonga at RG included) most of the times to actually earn the right to face the big ones.


ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe*

*Not anymore...

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
Federer in 2 is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,940
                     
Re: The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer in 2 View Post
Oh what a load of crap

Since the beginning of 2012 Ferrer only lost 2 times to players from the current top ten outside the big 4, both of those times to Wawrinka. That's 2 losses in 18 months. I'm sorry but you are completely misreading the numbers.
He might be less of a threat to the top 4 than guys like Berdych, Tsonga and JMDP, but this particular stat has absolutely nothing to do with that. He lost 6 matches to the 3 best players in the world right now, and all 6 were on the opponent's best surface. It's all about who you face. Ferrer was good enough to work his way through players inferior to him (Tsonga at RG included) most of the times to actually earn the right to face the big ones.
Again, I said he's less of a threat to the top 4 NOT the top 8. I know his record vs Delpo, Berdych etc. has been good. But then again it's interesting that this year he hasn't faced them - he only faced Tsonga on clay, by far Tsonga's worst surface. Ferrer's level this year has been lower but due to draws or early losses by others he's not faced top 10 players. I mean - he got to a slam semi and slam final by beating ONE top 10 player!! There's some luck involved there.
Ash86 is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Registered User
 
Federer in 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,771
                     
Re: The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Again, I said he's less of a threat to the top 4 NOT the top 8. I know his record vs Delpo, Berdych etc. has been good. But then again it's interesting that this year he hasn't faced them - he only faced Tsonga on clay, by far Tsonga's worst surface. Ferrer's level this year has been lower but due to draws or early losses by others he's not faced top 10 players. I mean - he got to a slam semi and slam final by beating ONE top 10 player!! There's some luck involved there.
You can argue about luck all day long for all I care. He is clearly and comfortably among the 5 best players of the year. Tsonga supposedly had his chance at a GS final, but got schooled. No need to talk about Berdych and Delpo, who have been pretty much just sitting on a bench compared to the damage that David has done this year. The "top 10 wins" stat is irrelevant and misleading.


ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe*

*Not anymore...

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
Federer in 2 is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Registered User
 
Abel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,457
                     
Re: The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013

Unsurprising stats, especially in Ferrer's case.

Nole's loss to Berdych was silly and should have been avoided.
Abel is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Registered User
 
Kyle_Johansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Age: 24
Posts: 9,116
                     
Re: The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013

Nadal has played the most so he's had the most top 10 players to play. And to his credit he's done great.

Federer fan, writer, tennis player.
Top 10 all-time list (Open Era)
1) Federer 2) Sampras 3) Nadal 4) Laver 5) Borg
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Registered User
 
Radalek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Age: 36
Posts: 1,312
                     
Re: The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
Nadal has played the most so he's had the most top 10 players to play. And to his credit he's done great.
Yes he did but he played one tournament outside of clay which inflates his stats. Full season stats will be more fair as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
when did i or any other nadal fan give an excuse for any loss?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooza2011 View Post
Who is going to break him? Chardy?
Chardy breaks Murray three times in a row right after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
My tennis expertise is in the top 5%
Radalek is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Registered User
 
Timot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Age: 30
Posts: 2,326
                     
Re: The Top 5 vs Top 10 players in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Again, I said he's less of a threat to the top 4 NOT the top 8. I know his record vs Delpo, Berdych etc. has been good. But then again it's interesting that this year he hasn't faced them - he only faced Tsonga on clay, by far Tsonga's worst surface. Ferrer's level this year has been lower but due to draws or early losses by others he's not faced top 10 players. I mean - he got to a slam semi and slam final by beating ONE top 10 player!! There's some luck involved there.
Getting to your first Slam final without dropping a set is definitely not "lower level". It will probably remain the best Slam performance of his career.

And his draw wasn't weaker than some of the Big 4 got on their way to the final. Usually 4th seed would get 2 top 10 guys before final, so just a single upset of one of them will make it similar to what Ferrer got.
Timot is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome