"Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last"" - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 105
                     
"Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last""

It's something that I've been reading a lot since quite a while: "Nadal won't last because he's just playing a lot with his stamina, and with the years passing, he won't be relying a lot on it anymore"

And there he is: 27 years old and still hitting the ball and every point like his life was on the line. What's the goddamn matter ? Is he gonna fall some day or what ? I'm scared because he could still be playing like this at the age of 35 and pass 20+ GS.

Last edited by Eliqsir; 06-09-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Eliqsir is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:36 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,995
                     
Re: "Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last""

Endurance athletes dont peak until their late 30s so im afraid Dull will be around for many years to come.
Serverer is offline  
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,278
                     
Re: "Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last""

I am at peace with the idea of Nadal passing 20 slams. Here is the thing: the ATP is a corrupt organization. They have done everything to change the face of the sport. They don't want someone like Sampras or Federer. They want someone like Rafa as the face of the sport so thug fans like MMA fans mistake the sport of tennis for MMA or something. Let's face it. Rafa is built like a MMA fighter and not a tennis player.

SheepleBuster: Nikola Tesla of MTF ...Jesus of America - the Capitalist Crusader.. the Morning Star ... the Bringer of Light.

My Black List: InfiDULL, Gutless Federer

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...

Fact: George Washington did not lose to Nole in Wimbledon final
SheepleBuster is offline  
post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Registered User
 
Tiebreak100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,508
                     
Re: "Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last""

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepleBuster View Post
I am at peace with the idea of Nadal passing 20 slams. Here is the thing: the ATP is a corrupt organization. They have done everything to change the face of the sport. They don't want someone like Sampras or Federer. They want someone like Rafa as the face of the sport so thug fans like MMA fans mistake the sport of tennis for MMA or something. Let's face it. Rafa is built like a MMA fighter and not a tennis player.
LOL. Since Nadal smashed Gymnast, your pain has been evident in every post . Must be tough typing through the salty tears. Hang in there mate.
Tiebreak100 is offline  
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,739
                     
Re: "Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last""

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliqsir View Post
It's something that I've been reading a lot since quite a while: "Nadal won't last because he's just playing a lot with his stamina, and with the years passing, he won't be relying a lot on it anymore"

And there he is: 27 years old and still hitting the ball and every point like his life was on the line. What's the goddamn matter ? Is he gonna fall some day or what ? I'm scared because he could still be playing like this at the age of 35 and pass 20+ GS.
Oh, people say things like this about players they don't deem worthy. I remember that MTF experts said Roddick would only last 5 years because of his service motion.

Words are wind.

Less than that on the internet.
star is offline  
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 105
                     
Re: "Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last""

If we analyze the sport let's say, 30 years ago, we can clearly see that the players weren't so much relying on their stamina, and defense. Is that because they changed the courts and also the modern gear ? If Nadal was playing fifty years ago would he be that great ? Why is tennis so inclined to change players into getting really powerful strokes, defense, stamina, muscles etc. I love watching smart playing and intelligence, it's not about that anymore. I feel like old tennis is gone for good at least in the profesionnal ATP. :/

Last edited by Eliqsir; 06-09-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Eliqsir is offline  
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:59 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,995
                     
Re: "Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last""

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliqsir View Post
If we analyze the sport let's say, 30 years ago, we clearly see that the guys weren't so much relying on stamina, and defense. That changed because of the removed fast surfaces and the modern gear ? If Nadal was playing fifty years ago he won't be this good ? Why is tennis so inclined to change to guys who like to hit hard the ball instead of using smart decisions and intelligence ? That's what I love as a viewer. And why I loved watching guys like Santoro.
Its impossible to imagine a 18 year old could win a slam these days, but it was possible 30 years ago.

Tennis is more like cycling now, only the super fit athletes can win.

Look at Dimitrov. Getting tired in 3 set matches, maybe he needs to work on his fitness for another 5 years before he can win a slam.
Serverer is offline  
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:00 AM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,739
                     
Re: "Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last""

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliqsir View Post
If we analyze the sport let's say, 30 years ago, we clearly see that the guys weren't so much relying on stamina, and defense. That changed because of the removed fast surfaces and the modern gear ? If Nadal was playing fifty years ago he won't be this good ? Why is tennis so inclined to change to guys who like to hit hard the ball instead of using smart decisions and intelligence ? That's what I love as a viewer. And why I loved watching guys like Santoro.
Smart is also winning, no? Santoro sometimes outsmarted himself by trying to be too cute or clever.

30 years ago, Borg was accused of being boring and dumb and all stamina and the iceman, etc. Let's not make the past all golden. Remember Lendl and Wilander were also baseline players who took a ton of time between points and played from the baseline and there were people who didn't like them either.

Playing styles aren't an indicator of a person's basic intelligence.
star is offline  
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 105
                     
Re: "Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last""

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serverer View Post
Its impossible to imagine a 18 year old could win a slam these days, but it was possible 30 years ago.

Tennis is more like cycling now, only the super fit athletes can win.

Look at Dimitrov. Getting tired in 3 set matches, maybe he needs to work on his fitness for another 5 years before he can win a slam.
My point exactly. It's pretty sad, feels like the opponent with the more strenght/endurance will win and not because of player skill, intelligence.
Big four are talent killer and agressive, volley players etc. are gone because all of that. I hope to see a new generation of players and see what will happen, obviously the level would go down so maybe that's the time where things will get a bit better ?
Eliqsir is offline  
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:30 AM
Registered User
 
moon language's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: at Tanagra
Posts: 2,401
                     
Re: "Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last""

Ummm, he just had to take 7 months off. It's not like it isn't catching up with him.
moon language is offline  
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:32 AM
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,259
                     
Re: "Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last""

I stopped believing that after the miraculous AO win.


The "Who plays tennis?" thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Rod Laver
Roger is like a good red wine, he’s getting better with age.
Looner is offline  
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:40 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,995
                     
Re: "Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last""

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon language View Post
Ummm, he just had to take 7 months off. It's not like it isn't catching up with him.
and he went straight back to dominating like never before.
Serverer is offline  
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:43 AM
Registered User
 
GSMnadal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Netherlands
Age: 24
Posts: 16,533
                     
Re: "Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last""

It's a myth he just runs and runs and can't do anything else. He has the best groundstrokes in tennis, along with Djokovic. The last couple of years he adjusted, started playing more aggressively and shortening points. He doesn't rely solely on stamina and can compensate (and he already has) for a decline in speed with his shots and experience.

Fear Nadal, he isn't done winning. Not even close. No one has found an answer yet to his game. You thought Djokovic had? Boom, Nadal wins 4 out of their last 5 matches. Everyone is his pigeon, turkey if they've met him often enough. He's the GOAT, simple as that.

RAFAEL NADAL

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline  
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:45 AM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,739
                     
Re: "Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last""

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliqsir View Post
My point exactly. It's pretty sad, feels like the opponent with the more strenght/endurance will win and not because of player skill, intelligence.
Big four are talent killer and agressive, volley players etc. are gone because all of that. I hope to see a new generation of players and see what will happen, obviously the level would go down so maybe that's the time where things will get a bit better ?
You think it was all serve an volley 30 years ago?

Oh -- you're just trolling. I shouldn't even bother.
star is offline  
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:46 AM
Registered User
 
pray-for-palestine-and-israel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: uk, north
Age: 34
Posts: 3,728
                     
Re: "Nadal's playing is too physical, he won't last""

He is a shadow of the player who played in 2007-2008

It's just a really weak era apart from djokovic who is an all time great himself

God is Love. To know Love is to know God. So ask yourself if you hold any hate for another in your heart how can you have room for Love, room for God
pray-for-palestine-and-israel is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome