It Will Never Work - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
It Will Never Work

...but i'd love to see more of the top players playing doubles. Am glad to see nadal recognises the value of it and am sure his game will benefit as a result, not only of playing, but also from sharing court time with costa. Singles is clearly where the majority of interest and money lies, but wish there was more incentive for the top players to get involved. we never get to see matches like feder agassi v safin hewitt, or even the top singles players against the recognised and successful doubles pairings. personally i think these matches would be great fun to watch and would be appreciated by all fans...even mixed doubles...that could be really fun if the top players on both sides were involved. S. Williams O. Rochus v V. Williams C. Rochus (lol). Or Marat/sis against f.lopez/gf. Think it would bring a whole new dimension and excitement to viewing...and more than that just some fun. but as the title says.....
federer express is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 182
                     
Re: It Will Never Work

I always loved the fact that the top women usually play dubs. I would love to see the men do the same. The lack of dubs may have to do with men having to play best of 5 sets at the slams and do not want to be on the court 5+ hours in one day which is understandable.
tennis4you is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 09:20 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ae wowww's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 27
Posts: 8,972
                     
Re: It Will Never Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis4you
I always loved the fact that the top women usually play dubs. I would love to see the men do the same. The lack of dubs may have to do with men having to play best of 5 sets at the slams and do not want to be on the court 5+ hours in one day which is understandable.
yeah, right on..

Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Surbiton Trophy Challenger 1998-2008


Jim Thomas Official Site


Jeff Coetzee Official Site
ae wowww is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 10:06 PM
bad gambler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: It Will Never Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer express
Am glad to see nadal recognises the value of it and am sure his game will benefit as a result, not only of playing, but also from sharing court time with costa

better enjoy it while it last because i'd be suprised if nadal continues to play doubles after June as he continues to climb the singles rankings - the tough doubles match before the hewiit match in AO cost him i think, just didn't have the stamina in the 5th set.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
Re: It Will Never Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad gambler
better enjoy it while it last because i'd be suprised if nadal continues to play doubles after June as he continues to climb the singles rankings - the tough doubles match before the hewiit match in AO cost him i think, just didn't have the stamina in the 5th set.
its stating the obvious but losing the 4th set is what cost nadal the match. wow that is obvious! but u know what i mean. he had the upper hand for 2 and a half sets, but winning the tie-break gave hewitt the lift he needed and enabled him to just play the better tennis in the fifth. stamina may have been an issue as nadal had already been pushed by youzhny, but i would be surprised if the doubles really cost him. actually think playing will be making him a better all-round player and hope for his game that he continues to. can only improve his serve, volleys and even return of serve. should help every part of his game and he's young enough and fit enough to manage it i think
federer express is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Registered User
 
mitalidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,048
                     
Re: It Will Never Work

have to disagree with you on this , fedexpres....
never been a great doubles follower
enjoy the "singleness" of tennis, watching players do it on their own, struggle, figure it out, and win on their own
mitalidas is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
Re: It Will Never Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitalidas
have to disagree with you on this , fedexpres....
never been a great doubles follower
enjoy the "singleness" of tennis, watching players do it on their own, struggle, figure it out, and win on their own
oh i definitely prefer playing singles...and prefer watching singles too. just saying would be cool to see the top singles players competing against the best doubles teams
federer express is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 01:08 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Age: 40
Posts: 1,226
                     
Re: It Will Never Work

It will never happen in mens tennis specially in Grandlams coz the men are playing best of 5 sets. It will surely take a toll on their body.
BIGMARAT is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 02:23 AM
Registered User
 
Billabong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Age: 30
Posts: 18,767
                     
Re: It Will Never Work

I agree with BIGMARAT! It would be very very tough in the slams!

Guga Kuerten

Roger Federer & Novak Djokovic
Billabong is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
Re: It Will Never Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billabong
I agree with BIGMARAT! It would be very very tough in the slams!
and thats why this thread has the title it does
federer express is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 02:52 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 182
                     
Re: It Will Never Work

I hate the fact that they do not show any doubles anymore at the slams. Once you get out fo college you will find that the majority of USTA leagues play a ton of doubles. So I have been playing more doubles the last few years. And I agree that singles is more exciting to watch, but I would love to see some great doubles too. It would help my game.
tennis4you is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
Re: It Will Never Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis4you
I hate the fact that they do not show any doubles anymore at the slams. Once you get out fo college you will find that the majority of USTA leagues play a ton of doubles. So I have been playing more doubles the last few years. And I agree that singles is more exciting to watch, but I would love to see some great doubles too. It would help my game.
top class doubles is very watchable...without a doubt!! wimbledon coverage tries to show as much doubles/mixed as possible. and they even show the seniors when they can which is always cool
federer express is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 04:15 AM
Registered User
 
howardean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 289
                     
Re: It Will Never Work

mixed doubles combinations of top women and men are always fun to watch, but rare.i enjoyed anna k's pairing with mirnyi, and bryan (which one?) with davenport

btw, the best pairings can be/have been seen at the hopman cup (safin/myskina, hewitt/molik, federer/hingis, robredo/sanchez-vicario, clijsters/malisse, blake/davenport to name a few)

Go Roger , Lindsay , Richard , and Kim in '06
howardean is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 05:14 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 318
                     
Re: It Will Never Work

Yep.... good doubles is the most entertaining thing there is in tennis, even more so than good singles. The only problem is, it needs star power. If the top players played, it would be brilliant watching.
Prizeidiot is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 05:19 AM
Registered User
 
Ferrero Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: At Juan Carlos Ferrero's house
Posts: 10,752
                     
Re: It Will Never Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardean
mixed doubles combinations of top women and men are always fun to watch, but rare.i enjoyed anna k's pairing with mirnyi, and bryan (which one?) with davenport

btw, the best pairings can be/have been seen at the hopman cup (safin/myskina, hewitt/molik, federer/hingis, robredo/sanchez-vicario, clijsters/malisse, blake/davenport to name a few)
I LOVE hopman cup, i watched it for the first time this year and it was fantastic, though i would have liked to see a spanish team, but Hopman cup is one of my favourite tournaments, and i don't even like doubles that much.

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO


Juan Monaco, Tommy Robredo, Fernando Gonzalez, Juan Martin Del Potro, David Ferrer, Guillermo Garcia Lopez, Juan Ignatio Chela, Fernando Verdasco, Carlos Moya, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Lucas Arnold Ker, Nicolas Lapentti
Ferrero Forever is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome