The Dream Masters - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: Who would win?
Pete Sampras 14 34.15%
John McEnroe 2 4.88%
Jimmy Connors 1 2.44%
Boris Becker 2 4.88%
Roger Federer 12 29.27%
Bjorn Borg 6 14.63%
Andre Agassi 0 0%
Ivan Lendl 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
Post The Dream Masters

Group A

Pete Sampras
John McEnroe
Jimmy Connors
Boris Becker

Group B

Roger Federer
Bjorn Borg
Andre Agassi
Ivan Lendl

All at their peaks...played indoors as the end of year event should be...what ya think?

Last edited by federer express; 01-31-2005 at 11:13 PM.
federer express is offline  
post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 11:37 PM
Registered User
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Age: 34
Posts: 70,027
                     
Re: The Dream Masters

At their peak? Definitely Lendl.


Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline  
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
Re: The Dream Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarolBeckFan
At their peak? Definitely Lendl.
But its indoors
federer express is offline  
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Registered User
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Age: 34
Posts: 70,027
                     
Re: The Dream Masters

Und?


Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline  
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:51 AM
Registered User
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Age: 34
Posts: 70,027
                     
Re: The Dream Masters

Sampras wasn't that good indoors was he?


Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline  
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
Re: The Dream Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarolBeckFan
Und?
Outdoors on anything but grass i would say lendl. But indoors, on a fast court, i would have to say sampras
federer express is offline  
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:59 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: The Dream Masters

Lendl only made the TMC finals 8 times in a row on a very fast surface and won countless titles indoors and that was his favourite surface.

If you don't believe me look it up.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
Re: The Dream Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Lendl only made the TMC finals 8 times in a row on a very fast surface and won countless titles indoors and that was his favourite surface.

If you don't believe me look it up.
OMG...am saying i think sampras at his peak on a fast court would beat lendl. didn't need a stat throwing at me cuz it doesn't change my opinion.
federer express is offline  
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:06 AM
Registered User
 
TennisLurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 3,763
                     
Re: The Dream Masters

Indoors was Lendl´s best surface, he won the masters 5 times, Had a 66 match winning streak indoors between October 1981 and January 1983, probably the best ever on that surface.

I miss: Ivan Lendl, Korda, Novak, Bruguera, Rios, Kucera, Courier, Mantilla, Costa, Santoro and Ferreira.

Good luck to:

Gaudio, Murray, Florian Mayer, Chela, Nalbandian, Radek Stepanek, Volandri, Youzhny and Verdasco.

NICOLAS ALMAGRO IS AN EXOTIC BEAUTY
TennisLurker is offline  
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:08 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: The Dream Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer express
OMG...am saying i think sampras at his peak on a fast court would beat lendl. didn't need a stat throwing at me cuz it doesn't change my opinion.
Just like your more grass theory you don't have a very good comprehension of what some other posters are saying and got confused with your point when countered with different arguments.

When did I say Lendl would win? I have not voted on this poll at all.

Ok, for what reasons can you give that would make Sampras a winner in this? I am interested to read them.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:09 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: The Dream Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisLurker
Indoors was Lendl´s best surface, he won the masters 5 times, Had a 66 match winning streak indoors between October 1981 and January 1983, probably the best ever on that surface.
Stop stating the obvious.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
Re: The Dream Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Ok, for what reasons can you give that would make Sampras a winner in this? I am interested to read them.
Records and number of titles won is irrelevant in answering it I think. Its simply who do u think at their best is better. I think sampras at his best surpasses lendl at his best. Regardless of how many titles won. And I understood your point perfectly...assumed your spouting about lendl's record meant u thought him. If u do fine, if u dont fine. Personally not overly interested
federer express is offline  
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
Re: The Dream Masters

And in that record run u and tennis lurker are so keen to point out, how many times did he face sampras at his peak? Or anyone else as good as sampras at his peak? Wait...maybe 0
federer express is offline  
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:23 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: The Dream Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer express
Records and number of titles won is irrelevant in answering it I think. Its simply who do u think at their best is better. I think sampras at his best surpasses lendl at his best. Regardless of how many titles won. And I understood your point perfectly...assumed your spouting about lendl's record meant u thought him. If u do fine, if u dont fine. Personally not overly interested
Done a wonderful job of not answering my question at all, you said a whole lot of nothing.

It's a Dream Masters yes? You are asking who would win aren't you? How is the success of Lendl or Sampras on the respective surface irrelevant as to who would be considered a winner? This is not about the best overall player, and you have said yourself that this tournament was to be played indoors. Did you watch Lendl at his best indoors then?

Incorrect yet again, I haven't answered the question for the simple reason is I haven't thought about it enough and take everything into consideration

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
 
federer express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,772
                     
Re: The Dream Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
It's a Dream Masters yes? You are asking who would win aren't you? How is the success of Lendl or Sampras on the respective surface irrelevant as to who would be considered a winner? This is not about the best overall player, and you have said yourself that this tournament was to be played indoors. Did you watch Lendl at his best indoors then?
Watched lendl from 84 onwards and sampras all his career. I just think sampras took the game up to a new level...thats why I say sampras
federer express is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome