Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0 - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 240 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,104
                     
Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
I am denying entirely that there has been a massive improvement. There is absolutely no evidence for that.

He is slightly more consistent, but in terms of improvement I simply don't see it.
It's kind of semantics, though. 7 - 10% improvement in W/L percentage per year. Maybe we agree that's "modest" improvement.

If it continues, where will Raonic be in 4 - 5 years?
Singularity is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #167 of 240 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Registered User
 
Moozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,882
                     
Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Raonic can servebot his way to a Wimbledon title, especially indoors but he's definitely not up there for potential. At least Dimitrov can play some shots even if both their movement is poor.
No he can't. Winning Wimbledon is an extremely difficult thing to do and takes much more than a few good serves.

LOBRAY, LEGEND OF THE LOB
Moozza is offline  
post #168 of 240 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Registered User
 
MaratandMilos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11,423
                     
Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Yup, I'm afraid WMF is tilting at windmills here.

Regarding Raonic, he's relatively new on tour and young and he is among the 10-12 best players in the world probably, so obviously he's pretty good. I said in another thread that I fear he might face the same problem Del Potro has after his surgery: he keeps getting niggly injuries all the time (and withdrawing from events sometimes), which makes it very hard to build momentum. It's even tougher for him because, unlike JMDP who has already proved himself and has the confidence of being a Slam winner, Raonic must be eager to have a breakthrough run at a big event - which is not viable unless he manages to build confidence and momentum over a sustained period of time. I feel these niggly injuries he seems to get far too often have held him back and could continue to do so.
Yes, I have a feeling Milos' health will decide a lot about how his career ultimately ends up. The 2011 injury at Wimbledon hurt his development for quite a bit there. He didn't come back until the fall and wasn't the same player he was before until the following spring. If he stays healthy and keeps improving at the rate he has, though, I think he can be a consistent top 10 player for a long time and be a threat in some of the bigger tournaments on tour.
MaratandMilos is offline  
post #169 of 240 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,681
                     
Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaratandMilos View Post
Oh, so winning more matches and seeing your ranking rise immensely in two short years (from 150s to near 10) is a sign of a player regressing then?
But he's not winning more matches in the events that matter. How difficult is this for you to understand?
Wing Man Frank is offline  
post #170 of 240 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,681
                     
Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
It's kind of semantics, though. 7 - 10% improvement in W/L percentage per year. Maybe we agree that's "modest" improvement.

If it continues, where will Raonic be in 4 - 5 years?
What percentage improvement has there been in Master/Slam events?
Wing Man Frank is offline  
post #171 of 240 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Registered User
 
MaratandMilos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11,423
                     
Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
But he's not winning more matches in the events that matter. How difficult is this for you to understand?
Except in the other part of the post that you ignored and didn't quote, I showed you that he was:

Quote:
And in Milos' first four slams, he went 4-4. In Milos last five slams, he's gone 11-5. Yep, no improvement at all there either.
So if he's winning more matches on the whole, winning more in the significant events, and raising his ranking over 140 spots in two years, how exactly could anyone possibly say he's not improving? Unless, of course, they were just trolling and had no intention of abiding by the facts.
MaratandMilos is offline  
post #172 of 240 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,681
                     
Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaratandMilos View Post
Except in the other part of the post that you ignored and didn't quote, I showed you that he was:



So if he's winning more matches on the whole, winning more in the significant events, and raising his ranking over 140 spots in two years, how exactly could anyone possibly say he's not improving? Unless, of course, they were just trolling and had no intention of abiding by the facts.
You are like Lenders, you pick and choose your facts.

Milos is more consistent now, but he has gone no further in a Slam than he did in 2011.

Why is that so hard for you to understand?

You say he is winning more in the significant events? Again, that is through consistency in being able to win the early rounds. As soon as he faces a major challenge he loses.
Wing Man Frank is offline  
post #173 of 240 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Registered User
 
MaratandMilos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11,423
                     
Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
What percentage improvement has there been in Master/Slam events?
Milos Raonic:

2010 slams: 0% (0-1)
2011 slams: 57% (4-3)
2012 slams: 67% (8-4)
2013 slams: 75% (3-1)

2010 T1000: 0% (0-1)
2011 T1000: 42% (5-7)
2012 T1000: 53% (9-8)
2013 T1000: 60% (3-2)

Why must you persist, WMF? How much longer am I going to have to keep providing the evidence to prove every one of your trolling attempts wrong?
MaratandMilos is offline  
post #174 of 240 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,681
                     
Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaratandMilos View Post
Milos Raonic:

2010 slams: 0% (0-1)
2011 slams: 57% (4-3)
2012 slams: 67% (8-4)
2013 slams: 75% (3-1)

2010 T1000: 0% (0-1)
2011 T1000: 42% (5-7)
2012 T1000: 53% (9-8)
2013 T1000: 60% (3-2)

Why must you persist, WMF? How much longer am I going to have to keep providing the evidence to prove every one of your trolling attempts wrong?
In those events, how many players ranked above him has he beaten?
Wing Man Frank is offline  
post #175 of 240 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Registered User
 
TBkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 20
Posts: 4,325
                     
Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Mug era

MR. FOREVER "UNDERRENTED"

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline  
post #176 of 240 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Registered User
 
Kiedis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,744
                     
Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBkeeper View Post
Mug era
Mug poster.

Free Edward Snowden | Free Brad Manning | Free SDG | Free CD | Free TSD

God is killing me
Kiedis is offline  
post #177 of 240 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Registered User
 
MaratandMilos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11,423
                     
Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
You are like Lenders, you pick and choose your facts.

Milos is more consistent now, but he has gone no further in a Slam than he did in 2011.
You criticize someone for picking and choosing facts (despite the fact that only one of us is looking at the entire picture with his win percentage improvement in all events and his rapid ranking rise in two years) and then do the very thing you disapprove of. Amazing stuff.
MaratandMilos is offline  
post #178 of 240 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,681
                     
Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Milos&Marat, you seem to be struggling to understand so I will break it down for you:

Is Milos more consistent? Yes
Has Milos improved? Yes
Is Milos a threat to the players ranked above him? No
Is there any evidence to say he will become a threat? No

It is as simple as that.

He has reached a glass ceiling in that he cannot get past the current crop of players that are in front of him.

Should all 12 of them retire and no decent youngsters appear then he might win an event of significance, but it won't be because he is a great player.
Wing Man Frank is offline  
post #179 of 240 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered User
 
Moozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,882
                     
Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
In those events, how many players ranked above him has he beaten?
This.

There is no doubt that Raonic is a more consistent player now but is his best level really any higher?

I'm not so sure.

LOBRAY, LEGEND OF THE LOB
Moozza is offline  
post #180 of 240 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,104
                     
Re: Barcelona SF: Nadal roasts Raonic 6-4 6-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
What percentage improvement has there been in Master/Slam events?
W/L at slams/masters was 47% in 2011, 59% in 2012 and 66% in 2013 so far. So, 25% and 12% improvements respectively.
Singularity is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome