Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Age: 25
Posts: 1,660
                     
Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand

Two of the best one handed backhands on tour: Gasquet and Wawrinka.

Both can blast winners of that wing and look pretty at the same time.

Who do you think has the better backhand??

Why do we FALL? So we can LEARN to pick ourselves up

ROGER FEDERER

STANISLAS WAWRINKA

Last edited by Dark Knight; 04-03-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Dark Knight is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 29
Posts: 24,205
                     
Re: Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand

Wawrinka probably has the best offensive single handed top spin backhand in the game. Gasquet's can't really compete because of his nonsense court positioning.

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline  
post #3 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Tomic the Tank engine.
 
B-Nard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,693
                     
Re: Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand

This question has been battered and asked to death. Gasquet hits with more precision and angle and Stan has more flatness and power.
B-Nard is offline  
post #4 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,616
                     
Re: Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand

almagro
Newcomer is offline  
post #5 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Registered User
 
blackwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moscow
Posts: 6,002
                     
Re: Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand

Also Almagro, Haas and Youzhny..
But the most beautiful BH probably Wawrinka's and he plays exciting tennis unlike an annoying pusher Gasquet.
Gasquet's BH is more reliable though
blackwell is offline  
post #6 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Tomic the Tank engine.
 
B-Nard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,693
                     
Re: Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post

I'm not a Gasquetfan and I prefer Wawrinka, but Gasquet's backhand is clearly even better than Wawrinka's.

Even offensively.
Please elaborate.
B-Nard is offline  
post #7 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Registered User
 
Puschkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 15,915
                     
Re: Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX6JPZQiu9Q

______________________________

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline  
post #8 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Registered User
 
Nixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Moscow, Russia
Age: 29
Posts: 2,695
                     
Re: Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Wawrinka probably has the best offensive single handed top spin backhand in the game. Gasquet's can't really compete because of his nonsense court positioning.
I agree. Wawrinka's BH is consistently better offensively. Gasquet will generally push a lot of BHs only to hit some flashy winner once per game.
Nixer is offline  
post #9 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Tomic the Tank engine.
 
B-Nard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,693
                     
Re: Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I can't elaborate a lot

The only things I can say is :

- when you say than "Stan has more flatness and power", actually Gasquet can hit it flat and powerful as well ;
- videos might be helpful but I'm at work and have no access to youtube.

Gasquet has a less offensive mind and has a very far court-positioning but it's only partly because of his backhand imo (it's also because of his mind and footwork, and because of his forehand), because yes he's more comfortable when the ball is low, that's the ideal conditions for his backhand, but I saw him hit great backhands on high balls as well. And Stan also is more comfortable when the ball is not too high.
Any tennis player can hit the ball "hard" and "flat", but it's how you adopt this style and bring it to the court. Gasquet is capable of ripping excessively powerful BH's, but elects to be more precise and angle-driven (which is beneficiary in the long run), whereas Warwrinka pushes and attacks with much more frequency and manages to give it incredible pop. Both are impeccable for different reasons. It entirely depends of the surface, as well.
B-Nard is offline  
post #10 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Registered User
 
afterglows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,360
                     
Re: Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand

At the end of this video :
http://www.tennistv.com/video/clip/1957164

Fish and Tipsarevic seem to give the edge to Gasquet.

Gasquet ● B.Baker ● Soderling ● Wawrinka ● Federer ● Goffin ● Sijsling ● Youzhny ● Thiem ● Gulbis ● Mahut ● Brown ● F.Mayer ● Tomic

_____________________
~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~
un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
afterglows is offline  
post #11 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Registered User
 
Dougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,907
                     
Re: Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand

Gasquet´s big backswing requires time, that´s one (if not the only) reason he likes to play so far back. Wawrinka´s bh is more compact, so it´s easier for him to step in and be offensive with the shot. If we are talking just about winners, then there´s not much difference because Gasquet can blast those from practically any position, but Wawrinka is better at taking the ball earlier and taking time off from his opponent. In other words, it´s offensively a bit more versatile.
Dougie is offline  
post #12 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 29
Posts: 24,205
                     
Re: Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand

Gasquet can hit it better than Wawrinka but at the same time Wawrinka's peak backhand is just as good. Gasquet wastes so much of the match hitting backhands that have close to zero offensive value that it's almost impossible for me to say it's better. A few flashy winners and passing shots on the run don't change the fact that Gasquet's backhand is simply not as good for the "meat" of the match.

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline  
post #13 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 14,815
                     
Re: Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand

Better? I guess that depends on which quality you see as more superior. Gasquet his a more precise BH while Wawrinka can hit a more powerful one and basically bludgeon you with it.

Almost like apples and oranges; they're both great in their own right. But if I'd have to pick, I'd go with Gasquet.
MIMIC is online now  
post #14 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Age: 25
Posts: 1,660
                     
Re: Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Wawrinka probably has the best offensive single handed top spin backhand in the game. Gasquet's can't really compete because of his nonsense court positioning.
Agree with you there dude.

Gasquet goes way back into the court to get his swing....Stan doesn't seem to do that.

Why do we FALL? So we can LEARN to pick ourselves up

ROGER FEDERER

STANISLAS WAWRINKA
Dark Knight is offline  
post #15 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Age: 25
Posts: 1,660
                     
Re: Gasquet or Wawrinka : Better Backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterglows View Post
At the end of this video :
http://www.tennistv.com/video/clip/1957164

Fish and Tipsarevic seem to give the edge to Gasquet.
I think this has to do with the fact that Gasquet is the more successful player.

Why do we FALL? So we can LEARN to pick ourselves up

ROGER FEDERER

STANISLAS WAWRINKA
Dark Knight is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome