Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW - Page 21 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 382 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:28 PM
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Yeah, Novak is forcing him to hit 25% first serves. This was a one time freak occurence for a guy who usually serves around 70, even against Novak.



But it's obvious he wins more on his first serve, when his serve % drops -> do the math



Well, it kind of took on a life of it's own and one thing led to another. Had to look a few pages back to see where this started.

It started with discussing confidence and losses here. I just mentioned how his confidence back then was shaky and how that showed with him dropping off despite being in control until 6-4 2-2.
Indian Wells was his first loss against Nole in 2011. How was his confident already shaken? I do agree that later on, his confidence played a role in the way he faced Nole, but not in IW.
arm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 382 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:29 PM
country flag Tag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Age: 27
Posts: 3,262
                     
Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

if only nadal had sampras's serve...
Tag is offline  
post #303 of 382 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Registered User
 
GSMnadal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Netherlands
Age: 24
Posts: 16,533
                     
Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
Indian Wells was his first loss against Nole in 2011. How was his confident already shaken? I do agree that later on, his confidence played a role in the way he faced Nole, but not in IW.
He was under a lot of pressure there to show he was still the best.

RAFAEL NADAL

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline  
post #304 of 382 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,681
                     
Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

What point is GSMNadal actually trying to make? Does anyone know?
Wing Man Frank is offline  
post #305 of 382 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 37
Posts: 15,353
                     
Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Yeah, Novak is forcing him to hit 25% first serves. This was a one time freak occurence for a guy who usually serves around 70, even against Novak.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
What point is GSMNadal actually trying to make? Does anyone know?
He is trying hard to become Start da Game 2.0... so far so good

“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”

Last edited by Time Violation; 03-03-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Time Violation is offline  
post #306 of 382 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Registered User
 
zcess81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 36
Posts: 3,035
                     
Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Yeah, Novak is forcing him to hit 25% first serves. This was a one time freak occurence for a guy who usually serves around 70, even against Novak.



But it's obvious he wins more on his first serve, when his serve % drops -> do the math



Well, it kind of took on a life of it's own and one thing led to another. Had to look a few pages back to see where this started.

It started with discussing confidence and losses here. I just mentioned how his confidence back then was shaky and how that showed with him dropping off despite being in control until 6-4 2-2.


Um...well, yeah, he actually did. That is the whole point of tennis. Get inside your opponent's head, make him doubt himself, make him go for the lines. Novak being the best returner in the game puts extraordinary pressure on his opponents. They know that simply rolling the ball in isn't good enough, so they try to go for more, and make mistakes, double fault etc. That is what doubt does to you. You start serving well, balls come back with interest, close to the lines, and you say to yourself, "Jesus, what do I have to do to win a point against this guy...I need to serve harder, go for the lines"...That is when 1st serve percentage starts going down, and the more it goes down, the more you start to panic. That is what happened to Nadal and so many other players against Djokovic. He gives you nothing. He makes you doubt yourself, your own game.

Novak Djokovic Rafael Nadal


David Ferrer - Leyton Hewitt - David Nalbandian - Marcos Baghdatis - Janko Tipsarevic - Tommy Haas


AJDE NOLE!
zcess81 is offline  
post #307 of 382 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 PM
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
He was under a lot of pressure there to show he was still the best.
What? So you think he has the best "clutch gene" on tour, but he can't handle the pressure of being #1 but not having won the previous GS? What do you mean? When Nole arrived in IW he had a 13 match streak what did Rafa had to prove? By that time everyone already new Nole was the best Hard Court player of the two but Rafa was the best player at the time.

If you're saying that Rafa, being #1, was under pressure when facing Nole in IW because Nole had won 2 straight tournaments before, then you're practically saying he is a mental midget.
arm is offline  
post #308 of 382 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 14,655
                     
Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

I don't know why GSMnadal is trying to make a big deal about Nadal serving low. Nadal can serve at 80% and Novak can still beat him. *cough* Wimbledon *cough*
MIMIC is online now  
post #309 of 382 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,739
                     
Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post

It started with discussing confidence and losses here. I just mentioned how his confidence back then was shaky and how that showed with him dropping off despite being in control until 6-4 2-2.
Yes, I do think loss of confidence had something to do with it, but that is often the case in a match. You have to give Nole the credit for imposing himself and his game on Nadal. That was what caused the shaky confidence. And then I maintain that Rafa was worn down and that also led to his poor stats. We have often seen Rafa do this to his opponents. That day Nole did it to him. Rafa got beaten and rather badly beaten. That's sport. That's competition. Sometimes it's easier for the players to accept than it is for the fans.
star is offline  
post #310 of 382 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Registered User
 
zcess81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 36
Posts: 3,035
                     
Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Yes, I do think loss of confidence had something to do with it, but that is often the case in a match. You have to give Nole the credit for imposing himself and his game on Nadal. That was what caused the shaky confidence. And then I maintain that Rafa was worn down and that also led to his poor stats. We have often seen Rafa do this to his opponents. That day Nole did it to him. Rafa got beaten and rather badly beaten. That's sport. That's competition. Sometimes it's easier for the players to accept than it is for the fans.
Excellent point. What makes these guys such great champions is that they are not afraid to admit to themselves that the opponent was simply better on the day. Maybe they don't necessarily say that to the press, but they accept it themselves. They have to, otherwise they'd have A LOT of bad months ahead of them. This way, they just accept it, promise to themselves that they'll try even harder the next time, and they move on. That's a big part of what makes a champion.

Novak Djokovic Rafael Nadal


David Ferrer - Leyton Hewitt - David Nalbandian - Marcos Baghdatis - Janko Tipsarevic - Tommy Haas


AJDE NOLE!
zcess81 is offline  
post #311 of 382 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Registered User
 
Lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 29
Posts: 7,480
                     
Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

GSMNadal starts peaking just as ACC is cancelled. Coincidence? I think not!

After Nadal beat Monfils at Doha, before AO 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline  
post #312 of 382 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,681
                     
Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
GSMNadal starts peaking just as ACC is cancelled. Coincidence? I think not!
Peaking?! He looked over the cliffs edge and took a huge jump judging by the quality of his posts.
Wing Man Frank is offline  
post #313 of 382 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Registered User
 
Lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 29
Posts: 7,480
                     
Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
Peaking?! He looked over the cliffs edge and took a huge jump judging by the quality of his posts.
Peaking as in peaking for the (sadly cancelled) ACC

After Nadal beat Monfils at Doha, before AO 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline  
post #314 of 382 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Registered User
 
Trollicki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,616
                     
Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

If Rafa manages to make that seemingly improved BH a consistent part of his game, I feel his chances against Djokovic would rise quite a bit, on any surface. The inadequacy of his BH, especially in going down the line, was quite an important part in his 2011 losses.
Trollicki is offline  
post #315 of 382 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Registered User
 
GSMnadal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Netherlands
Age: 24
Posts: 16,533
                     
Re: Nadal will skip IW and Miami UPDATE - confirms will play IW

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
What? So you think he has the best "clutch gene" on tour, but he can't handle the pressure of being #1 but not having won the previous GS? What do you mean? When Nole arrived in IW he had a 13 match streak what did Rafa had to prove? By that time everyone already new Nole was the best Hard Court player of the two but Rafa was the best player at the time.

If you're saying that Rafa, being #1, was under pressure when facing Nole in IW because Nole had won 2 straight tournaments before, then you're practically saying he is a mental midget.
Look, I'll only answer you since you're the only one coming up with decent points and actually addressing the situation rather than the others who only throw in smileys and insults.

First of all, you can be the best clutch player, and still be affected by nerves. They're all human, like one performance like this instantly nullifies his clutchness. All players have had weaker moments, Nadal has overall had the fewest of the players on tour and a lot of strong ones. We know how often he doubts himself, but usually that doesn't translate onto court with him. At IW, it did. That doesn't make him a mental midget of course.

Remember, Nadal was in tears at the Australian Open, failing to complete the Rafa slam, losing to Ferrer due to injury. In my point of view (which is supported by later interviews) he felt like that slam would've been his if it wasn't for that. That was the first (of many) devastating blow(s) in 2011. He then returned to tour at IW having to prove something. There were already claims of Novak being 'the real #1' and I think he fixated too much on that, got tight in set 2 and the rest is history.

RAFAEL NADAL

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome