Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better" - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,041
                     
Re: Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
No, Borg after all only tried to win three slams. 11 from three opportunities each year is much better than 11 from four opportunities each year. Divide 11 by three and multiply by four and you have 14 2/3.
Doesn't matter though. If Borg didn't play the AO, Borg didn't play the AO. Should Connors then be elevated above Lendl and Agassi because he only played the AO twice in his career (winning once) and didn't play the FO for five years? Does Laver get speculated results added to his actual results because he didn't compete in the slams between '63 to '67? By your argument – If Nadal only played the FO and nothing else, does he get speculated results from the AO, Wimbledon and USO added to his results?
stewietennis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Banned!
 
Corey Feldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 95,412
                     
Re: Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonac View Post
tired of these 'who is better' threads
coz your boys always come of 2nd best?

btw 17 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 6.
Corey Feldman is offline  
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Registered User
 
tektonac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,307
                     
Re: Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
coz your boys always come of 2nd best?

btw 17 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 6.
nope mickey, my boy is THE best at the moment

ASI Director-General Gautam Sengupta said the list of India's treasures held abroad was "too long to handle" and there was a need for a "diplomatic and legal campaign" for their restitution from institutions, including the British Museum, the Royal Collection and the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.
tektonac is offline  
post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 PM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 44
Posts: 58,205
                     
Re: Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
Doesn't matter though. If Borg didn't play the AO, Borg didn't play the AO. Should Connors then be elevated above Lendl and Agassi because he only played the AO twice in his career (winning once) and didn't play the FO for five years? Does Laver get speculated results added to his actual results because he didn't compete in the slams between '63 to '67? By your argument – If Nadal only played the FO and nothing else, does he get speculated results from the AO, Wimbledon and USO added to his results?
No, it doesn't matter, it just means Borg dominated what he played more than Nadal has done.
Litotes is offline  
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Registered User
 
evilmindbulgaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,820
                     
Re: Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
Nadal does not have a better record:

Each 11 GS.

Borg 2 y.e. indoor masters, but Nadal nil.

Nadal has a slightly better clay court and better hard court record.

Borg a much better grass court record and indoor record.

Borg won 64 titles. Nadal has 50 titles.

Nadal will retire ahead, but not ahead jet.
I think Toni means tennis records. What tennis records does Borg currently hold? The Roland Garros - Wimbledon double comes immediately to mind.

RAFAEL NADAL and GRIGOR DIMITROV

Rafa winning at least one slam in 10 consecutive years is the best achievement in Open Era tennis since Laver won all 4 Grand slam tournaments in the same year!


Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion!
evilmindbulgaria is offline  
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Registered User
 
Sanya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 2,588
                     
Re: Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmindbulgaria View Post
I think Toni means tennis records. What tennis records does Borg currently hold? The Roland Garros - Wimbledon double comes immediately to mind.
One of the greatest records ever - winning % of matches played for whole career on all surfaces. Funny, but currently Nadal has better one, but it will be gone after his next loss.

Gasquet is next №1
Sanya is offline  
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:21 PM
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 44
Posts: 58,205
                     
Re: Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
One of the greatest records ever - winning % of matches played for whole career on all surfaces. Funny, but currently Nadal has better one, but it will be gone after his next loss.

That %-record is something....on HC, Federer is #1 and Nadal is not top-10. On grass, Federer is #1 and Nadal #8. On clay, Nadal is #1 and Federer #9. Somehow this sums up to Nadal being #1 overall and Federer just #5.
Litotes is offline  
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Registered User
 
Sanya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 25
Posts: 2,588
                     
Re: Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
That %-record is something....on HC, Federer is #1 and Nadal is not top-10. On grass, Federer is #1 and Nadal #8. On clay, Nadal is #1 and Federer #9. Somehow this sums up to Nadal being #1 overall and Federer just #5.
Yes, I know. BTW, If Nadal really focuses on MM clay I can see him finishing his career with better stats than Borg in this department. It`s not very likely though.

Gasquet is next №1
Sanya is offline  
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Registered User
 
evilmindbulgaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,820
                     
Re: Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
That %-record is something....on HC, Federer is #1 and Nadal is not top-10. On grass, Federer is #1 and Nadal #8. On clay, Nadal is #1 and Federer #9. Somehow this sums up to Nadal being #1 overall and Federer just #5.
Yep, that is quite strange.

RAFAEL NADAL and GRIGOR DIMITROV

Rafa winning at least one slam in 10 consecutive years is the best achievement in Open Era tennis since Laver won all 4 Grand slam tournaments in the same year!


Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion!
evilmindbulgaria is offline  
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Registered User
 
Saberq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,983
                     
Re: Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonac View Post
nope mickey, my boy is THE best at the moment
you got owned here Mickey......just a tad
Saberq is offline  
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,004
                     
Re: Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
Doesn't matter though. If Borg didn't play the AO, Borg didn't play the AO. Should Connors then be elevated above Lendl and Agassi because he only played the AO twice in his career (winning once) and didn't play the FO for five years? Does Laver get speculated results added to his actual results because he didn't compete in the slams between '63 to '67? By your argument – If Nadal only played the FO and nothing else, does he get speculated results from the AO, Wimbledon and USO added to his results?
GREAT ACCURATE POST! The fact is that Borg never won a hard court slam. Did Borg never play the AO?
thrust is offline  
post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:02 AM
Registered User
 
pray-for-palestine-and-israel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: uk, north
Age: 34
Posts: 3,728
                     
Re: Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better"

If slams were open laver wouldn't have won until 1964 anyway

Borg couldn't get it done on a US open clay court

And Nadal has never defended a non clay title

Non of these guys could ever compare to Sampras Federer

God is Love. To know Love is to know God. So ask yourself if you hold any hate for another in your heart how can you have room for Love, room for God
pray-for-palestine-and-israel is offline  
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 AM
Registered User
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Buenos Aires
Age: 35
Posts: 2,207
                     
Re: Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better"

thanks god there wasnt Zeballos in Borg's era

Supporting the Ballbasher Nation, some of our proud soldiers:
Juan Martin del Potro - Robin Soderling - Ernests Gulbis - Thomas Berdych - Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Exiled: Janowicz
Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline  
post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 2,609
                     
Re: Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better"

Borg may have had a mild personality compared to the spoiled brat MugEnroe, but let's not forget this is the man who walked off the court before the ceremony and ditched the press conference at his last grand slam, the man who tried to sell off his Wimbledon trophies to support his drug habit, the man who couldn't stay retired because he was too much of a diva (something you only see now in the women's tour thank god). All the champions of that era: MugEnroe, Borg, and Connors were divas and clowns, Nadull would fit in quite well among their company. It is Federer, who has the class of Arthur Ashe, the talent of Laver, the power and mental strength of Borg who is beyond historical comparison. Tony is wise to preoccupy himself with Nadull's mediocre legacy.
SliceAce is offline  
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Registered User
 
dencod16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,768
                     
Re: Toni: "In terms of records Nadal's better than Borg but I think Borg is better"

I agree with him Borg is the better player. the fact that he has won FO-Wimble double is impressive specially in the time where the two were very contrasting in speed.
dencod16 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome