Murray's constant swearing on court - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Registered Fed fan
 
Kat_YYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 15,903
                     
Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamray View Post
I suppose he should be shouting stuff like "How could you do that old chap?!?" and "I say! How could that have been out???"...
that would be hilarious! A little Britcom-style entertainment. But he's Scottish, so I guess that ain't happening.

Roger Federer * Greatest Of All Time
Kat_YYZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 29
Posts: 24,619
                     
Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMIC View Post
The mark of a true pusher/defensive player: "I SHOULD have returned that unreturnable shot. Whether it be an ace at 413 MPH or a winner that was hit while I was still in the locker room. I SHOULD have got to it."

Can't stand him
Did you just make that up on that spot? I highly doubt that's the thought process. It's more like Murray venting his frustration that his opponent was too good on a critical point. Do you play? It's highly irritating when your opponent hits an ace on a big point, especially if it happens several times.

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline  
post #108 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Registered User
 
Hewitt =Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal (at heart)
Posts: 10,504
                     
Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
Swearing is against the rules btw. That it's not enforced for Mugray is just more top player bias.

Anyway, it's a disgrace. As already mentioned, he does it when the opponent is the better player. Often against Federer you see Fed pull off a great shot and the whole stadium is cheering except for Mugray who is making a face and cursing. He has no respect for his opponents or the game, and as Andy Roddick would say he's not good enough to be that arrogant. In a just world, the rules would be enforced and he would lose every match in 2 games max after a warning (code violation), point penalty (verbal abuse after the warning), game penalty (gamesmanship), match penalty (all of the above), fine and ban from ATP (lack of effort).
You do realise that pretty much every player on tour (except for B-Nard) swears during matches right?

Life is an orange and you're just a little pip.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline  
post #109 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 31
Posts: 15,145
                     
Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Did you just make that up on that spot? I highly doubt that's the thought process. It's more like Murray venting his frustration that his opponent was too good on a critical point. Do you play? It's highly irritating when your opponent hits an ace on a big point, especially if it happens several times.
At the very least, Murray can keep this kind of frustration to HIMSELF, especially if somebody is too good for him. How you can bitch about something that is out of your control is beyond me.

And on the flip side, isn't the person who was clutch on a critical point usually relieved to have came up with the goods? I'm sure Murray wouldn't like it if his opponent taunted him after he was aced. "Yeah, you wanted that break point, didn't you? Well it's gone now and there is nothing you can do about it."

Just because it goes through your brain doesn't mean it has to come out of your mouth.

And yes, I play. I also am quick to say "good shot" to an opponent who aces me on a break point or hits a winner or whatever. I'm nothing like Murray on the court. I'm capable of appreciating good tennis, even if it comes from the other side of the net.
MIMIC is offline  
post #110 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Registered User
 
samo7266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Age: 29
Posts: 180
                     
Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
Murray - Constant swearing, mug.
Rafa - Rosol bump, badeye / glaring at opponents, occasional swearing in Spanish, time wasting, gamesmanship
Nole - time wasting, gamesmanship
Federer - rare swearing USO'09 and AO'13, arrogance

Who's the worst?

The one you hate most.
First off, I don't "hate" any of them, but in terms of gamesmanship/what you are referring to I'd have to give it to Nadal. He plays extremely slow, he hits extra hard during the warm-up (for intimidation), and tends to pick crucial times for trainer/bathroom break.

What is frustrating is that he DOESN'T need to. He's so good and so talented I wish he would drop the act and just play.
samo7266 is offline  
post #111 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Registered User
 
samo7266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Age: 29
Posts: 180
                     
Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

Also...Murray's swearing is usually self-directed and that doesn't bother me; it'd be nice if he didn't but that's not a problem. When he feigns injury or grabs at a muscle and then runs like a gazelle that bugs me.

Swearing that is directed at another player shouldn't happen (Federer at Murray). I consider Roger to be a really classy player so I was surprised to see that; hopefully we don't see it again in the future.
samo7266 is offline  
post #112 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Registered User
 
Sophocles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 42
Posts: 8,991
                     
Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMIC View Post
At the very least, Murray can keep this kind of frustration to HIMSELF, especially if somebody is too good for him. How you can bitch about something that is out of your control is beyond me.

And on the flip side, isn't the person who was clutch on a critical point usually relieved to have came up with the goods? I'm sure Murray wouldn't like it if his opponent taunted him after he was aced. "Yeah, you wanted that break point, didn't you? Well it's gone now and there is nothing you can do about it."

Just because it goes through your brain doesn't mean it has to come out of your mouth.

And yes, I play. I also am quick to say "good shot" to an opponent who aces me on a break point or hits a winner or whatever. I'm nothing like Murray on the court. I'm capable of appreciating good tennis, even if it comes from the other side of the net.
Sometimes though he may be berating himself for playing the rally in the wrong way, allowing his opponent to come up with the big winner. When you consider Murray's penchant for junk-balling, it makes sense.

"There is no such thing as 'the world'." - Enoch Powell.
Sophocles is offline  
post #113 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 29
Posts: 24,619
                     
Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMIC View Post
At the very least, Murray can keep this kind of frustration to HIMSELF, especially if somebody is too good for him. How you can bitch about something that is out of your control is beyond me.

And on the flip side, isn't the person who was clutch on a critical point usually relieved to have came up with the goods? I'm sure Murray wouldn't like it if his opponent taunted him after he was aced. "Yeah, you wanted that break point, didn't you? Well it's gone now and there is nothing you can do about it."

Just because it goes through your brain doesn't mean it has to come out of your mouth.

And yes, I play. I also am quick to say "good shot" to an opponent who aces me on a break point or hits a winner or whatever. I'm nothing like Murray on the court. I'm capable of appreciating good tennis, even if it comes from the other side of the net.
Murray isn't the only person that does this by the way. The point you're missing is he isn't directing the the swearing at his opponent - it's towards himself or his box. If I was playing him and he did that I'd be happy and highly amused to be honest. Just because he's acting like a petulant gimp doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate his opponent's good play. I find the act of clapping an opponent's good play pretty frivolous. I rarely ever see that reaction on a critical point. Djokovic likes to do it when he is destroying his opponent and they randomly come up with a wild winner. I've seen Djokovic and other players have negative reactions to winners because they feel their shot was too short/weak and allowed their opponent to dictate. Same shit.

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline  
post #114 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 09:05 PM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 29,136
                     
Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

MIMIC is so fucking butthurt over the USO that the blood's flying out when he goes the bog.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #115 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 31
Posts: 15,145
                     
Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Murray isn't the only person that does this by the way. The point you're missing is he isn't directing the the swearing at his opponent - it's towards himself or his box. If I was playing him and he did that I'd be happy and highly amused to be honest. Just because he's acting like a petulant gimp doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate his opponent's good play. I find the act of clapping an opponent's good play pretty frivolous. I rarely ever see that reaction on a critical point. Djokovic likes to do it when he is destroying his opponent and they randomly come up with a wild winner. I've seen Djokovic and other players have negative reactions to winners because they feel their shot was too short/weak and allowed their opponent to dictate. Same shit.
He doesn't HAVE to appreciate anything; I don't care whether he does or not. But his BEHAVIOR is appalling, regardless of who it's directed at. Smacking his head with the racket, swearing like he lost his mind....because someone cracked a winner by him because he was out-smarted? Who does he think he is? Are winners not allowed against him because his pushing is supposed to THAT perfect or something? He even screams "come on" after his opponent makes a random UE after a 4-shot rally. Because in his mind, that's what supposed to happen when you play this pushing POS. Hit a winner and he gets pissed.

EVERYONE reacts negatively to being outsmarted sometimes. But what Murray does doesn't even BEGIN to compare to how everyone else behaves. It's fucking disgraceful.

So to recap: he cheers unforced errors, and swears during winners. What's not to like about this guy?

I'm just waiting for him to smash his racket after he is aced to cement his loathsomeness. Hopefully he'll be defaulted one day.
MIMIC is offline  
post #116 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 29
Posts: 24,619
                     
Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMIC View Post
He doesn't HAVE to appreciate anything; I don't care whether he does or not. But his BEHAVIOR is appalling, regardless of who it's directed at. Smacking his head with the racket, swearing like he lost his mind....because someone cracked a winner by him because he was out-smarted? Who does he think he is? Are winners not allowed against him because his pushing is supposed to THAT perfect or something? He even screams "come on" after his opponent makes a random UE after a 4-shot rally. Because in his mind, that's what supposed to happen when you play this pushing POS. Hit a winner and he gets pissed.

EVERYONE reacts negatively to being outsmarted sometimes. But what Murray does doesn't even BEGIN to compare to how everyone else behaves. It's fucking disgraceful.

So to recap: he cheers unforced errors, and swears during winners. What's not to like about this guy?

I'm just waiting for him to smash his racket after he is aced to cement his loathsomeness. Hopefully he'll be defaulted one day.
Yeah you really must be butthurt about the USO because the amount of hyperbole in this post is comical. You make it sound like he swears after every winner hit against him and cheers every single unforced error. You need a reality check because Djokovic also cheers after unforced errors during critical points. There's no use singling out Murray because his language is of the saltier variety. It's not like Murray is fist pumping at UEs in the first point of a set or at 15-0 up on his service game. The frustration is simply is to the fact he's losing. He's swearing and cussing because the match isn't going the way he wants it to. It's not because of your reasoning which is that he should never be beaten or outsmarted. Heaps in players react in a similar fashion in their own way. Players that don't ar usually too submissive and incapable of pulling out big perfomances. Gasquet's reaction to losing for example is far more pathetic IMO. Haas swears after being aced on break point or being outplayed and he does it all the time.

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline  
post #117 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Registered User
 
Han Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 40
Posts: 2,397
                     
Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Yeah you really must be butthurt about the USO because the amount of hyperbole in this post is comical. You make it sound like he swears after every winner hit against him and cheers every single unforced error. You need a reality check because Djokovic also cheers after unforced errors during critical points. There's no use singling out Murray because his language is of the saltier variety. It's not like Murray is fist pumping at UEs in the first point of a set or at 15-0 up on his service game. The frustration is simply is to the fact he's losing. He's swearing and cussing because the match isn't going the way he wants it to. It's not because of your reasoning which is that he should never be beaten or outsmarted. Heaps in players react in a similar fashion in their own way. Players that don't ar usually too submissive and incapable of pulling out big perfomances. Gasquet's reaction to losing for example is far more pathetic IMO. Haas swears after being aced on break point or being outplayed and he does it all the time.
In the AO this year more or less every game I saw players cheered, fist-pumped, or "c'mon"'d when they benefited from an UE at a crucial time. It's fairly common...
Han Solo is offline  
post #118 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 AM
The new era of SuperNovak
 
Nole fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,624
                     
Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

It adds to his appeal, no doubt. It's his personality and I enjoy watching players with personality, not robots.



Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014 * AUSSIE OPEN 2015
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline  
post #119 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,672
                     
Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

It's childish. But at least these days it doesn't stop him from winning matches. A pro should know better though.
Honestly is offline  
post #120 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 AM
-LIFETIME SCIENTIST-
 
redshift36188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 30
Posts: 8,361
                     
Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

I fully agree with MIMIC, he described Murray's attitude prefectly. Murray's swearing is unlike the usual swearing, it really is annoying.

On the real ACC'16 Final:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redolent
Many had been in hiding following their latest tennis ruins, but on this day, dignity was set aside.
redshift36188 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome