David Ferrer is the new World #4 ! - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 AM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 28,985
                     
Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
Ferru would kick their asses like he does now. I know it is a crime on MTF that he has got where he is through hard work while lacking natural talent but he is still unquestionably a better player than those guys.
He has the better recent results and deserves his ranking don't get me wrong but those three guys have better career results and bigger victories over the top guys.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 AM
Registered User
 
Saberq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,983
                     
Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Evidently. First and foremost, if the current top 4 weren't around, the courts/conditions would be sped up no doubt leading to Ferrer becoming a non factor. Ferrer's star power is 0, guys like Tsonga and Del Potro are infinitely more popular among tennis fans and neurals alile despite being ranked lower at the moment - in fact Del Potro's popularity is probably on the same league as the current top 4 (bar Federer of course) despite not winning a big title for more than 3 years, which is why there's this perceived 'hype' around him.

Besides the fact that the ATP would never allow even the slighest risk of someone like Ferrer being the face of the sport in any way, he doesn't have the mentality required to dominate anyway (or the game), so it's a moot point.
what?
Saberq is offline  
post #123 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 AM
Registered User
 
delboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14,417
                     
Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
He has the better recent results and deserves his ranking don't get me wrong but those three guys have better career results and bigger victories over the top guys.
Those guys can raise their level beyond ferru and have a much better chance of beating the top 4 no doubt but those results are few and far between. In most meetings Ferru would beat all three of those guys and would always be the favourite like he always has for a reason.
delboy is offline  
post #124 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 AM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,155
                     
Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
what?
He's the only player who can often garner the crowd's support even if up against one of the top 4 and matches involving him (vs the top guys) are always hyped immensely by media and fans even when it's obvious he's going to lose. He's definitely one of the most popular players in tennis; I attend Estoril every year and he's supported even over our home players (even this year when Machado got a 6-1 6-0 drubbing he still got close to no support ).

For what it's worth, and while MTF is not all tennis fans and it's very debatable up to what extent it constitutes an accurate microcosmus of the tennis fandom, he was the 2nd most popular player here in 2012 behind Federer of course (who crushes everyone in tennis as far as popularity is concerned).

MTF games titles:

Suicide Tennis (5): Wimbledon 2014, World Tour Finals 2015, Madrid 2015, Kuala Lumpur 2014 and Metz 2015 - 1 Slam, 1 WTF, 1 Masters 1000, 2 ATP 250; 2 finals lost

Fill-in-the-Draw (3): US Open 2014, Rotterdam 2013 and Geneva 2015 - 1 Slam, 1 ATP 500 and 1 ATP 250

Tennis Tipping (3): Veneza and Todi 2014 (with vn01), Knoxville 2015 (with Redkop) - 3 challengers; 7 finals lost
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #125 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 AM
Registered User
 
delboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14,417
                     
Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
He's the only player who can often garner the crowd's support even if up against one of the top 4 and matches involving him (vs the top guys) are always hyped immensely by media and fans even when it's obvious he's going to lose. He's definitely one of the most popular players in tennis; I attend Estoril every year and he's supported even over our home players (even this year when Machado got a 6-1 6-0 drubbing he still got close to no support ).

For what it's worth, and while MTF is not all tennis fans and it's very debatable up to what extent it constitutes an accurate microcosmus of the tennis fandom, he was the 2nd most popular player here in 2012 behind Federer of course (who crushes everyone in tennis as far as popularity is concerned).
yeah it aint hard to see why. the guy gives 100% every match and I dont see how anyone can dislike him.
delboy is offline  
post #126 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 AM
.
 
rocketassist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 28,985
                     
Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Delpo has 1.2m Twitter followers, Muzza has just under 1.4m and Djokovic 1.5m so he's close in that regard.

unbiased analyst extraordinaire
rocketassist is offline  
post #127 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 AM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,155
                     
Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Delpo has 1.2m Twitter followers, Muzza has just under 1.4m and Djokovic 1.5m so he's close in that regard.
Yup. In terms of popularity he's surely up there with the non-Federer members of the top 4 (with less haters) and that's without even winning anything big ever since his wrist surgery.

MTF games titles:

Suicide Tennis (5): Wimbledon 2014, World Tour Finals 2015, Madrid 2015, Kuala Lumpur 2014 and Metz 2015 - 1 Slam, 1 WTF, 1 Masters 1000, 2 ATP 250; 2 finals lost

Fill-in-the-Draw (3): US Open 2014, Rotterdam 2013 and Geneva 2015 - 1 Slam, 1 ATP 500 and 1 ATP 250

Tennis Tipping (3): Veneza and Todi 2014 (with vn01), Knoxville 2015 (with Redkop) - 3 challengers; 7 finals lost
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #128 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 AM
Registered User
 
delboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14,417
                     
Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Delpo has 1.2m Twitter followers, Muzza has just under 1.4m and Djokovic 1.5m so he's close in that regard.
djoko is winning the twitter war against muzza? that is pretty crazy.
delboy is offline  
post #129 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 AM
Registered User
 
JarkaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 28
Posts: 2,626
                     
Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Del Potro is popular because he has a cool sounding name.
JarkaFish is offline  
post #130 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:01 AM
Registered User
 
Andre♥'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 28
Posts: 9,005
                     
Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Ferrer reached SF-QF-SF-SF on the last 4 Grand Slams. The only SF he didn't reach was in Wimbledon, in a match where he had some chances against Murray.

His Grand Slam performances are the reason why he is currently in the top 4. Not because he won Auckland or Bastad.

PORTUGUESE ARMADA!!!


*JOÃO SOUSA* *GASTÃO ELIAS* *FREDERICO GIL* *PEDRO SOUSA* *RUI MACHADO*
Andre♥ is offline  
post #131 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 AM
Registered User
 
MaxPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 32
Posts: 7,805
                     
Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre♥ View Post
Ferrer reached SF-QF-SF-SF on the last 4 Grand Slams. The only SF he didn't reach was in Wimbledon, in a match where he had some chances against Murray.

His Grand Slam performances are the reason why he is currently in the top 4. Not because he won Auckland or Bastad.

yet with all his QFs and SFs how many F does he have over his career? And does latest slam results is a lot due to Nadal and Soderling, two players that own him, have been missing on the tour.

Like this AO his draw was very smooth to QF where he should have lost to Almugro and then in SF he got dominated.
MaxPower is offline  
post #132 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 AM
Registered User
 
Allez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,025
                     
Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Won't last for long. Mighty Rafa is coming back and winning his 1st tournament of this comeback next week.

Last edited by Allez; 01-29-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Allez is offline  
post #133 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:38 AM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,155
                     
Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
yet with all his QFs and SFs how many F does he have over his career? And does latest slam results is a lot due to Nadal and Soderling, two players that own him, have been missing on the tour.

Like this AO his draw was very smooth to QF where he should have lost to Almugro and then in SF he got dominated.
Yeah, let's put bias aside and examine his herculean draws, see who he beat to reach those so very hyped SFs. FO 2012 - Murray, a reknowned clay titan USO 2012 - Tipsarevic, a player known for his many Slam semis AO 2013 - Almagro, player with many deep Slam runs and certified mental giant.

Oh wait...

He specializes in beating mugs and good players tired/injured/off their game, but once the SF stage comes around where only good players in good form are found he's completely exposed for what he is - an overrated vulture.

MTF games titles:

Suicide Tennis (5): Wimbledon 2014, World Tour Finals 2015, Madrid 2015, Kuala Lumpur 2014 and Metz 2015 - 1 Slam, 1 WTF, 1 Masters 1000, 2 ATP 250; 2 finals lost

Fill-in-the-Draw (3): US Open 2014, Rotterdam 2013 and Geneva 2015 - 1 Slam, 1 ATP 500 and 1 ATP 250

Tennis Tipping (3): Veneza and Todi 2014 (with vn01), Knoxville 2015 (with Redkop) - 3 challengers; 7 finals lost
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #134 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 05:03 AM
Registered User
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Buenos Aires
Age: 35
Posts: 2,207
                     
Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Del Potro is popular because he has a cool sounding name.
really? in spanish sounds kinda stupid and a good excuse to make fun of him in the school

Supporting the Ballbasher Nation, some of our proud soldiers:
Juan Martin del Potro - Robin Soderling - Ernests Gulbis - Thomas Berdych - Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Exiled: Janowicz
Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline  
post #135 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 AM
Registered User
 
Chase Visa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 22
Posts: 5,164
                     
Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Evidently. First and foremost, if the current top 4 weren't around, the courts/conditions would be sped up no doubt leading to Ferrer becoming a non factor. Ferrer's star power is 0, guys like Tsonga and Del Potro are infinitely more popular among tennis fans and neurals alile despite being ranked lower at the moment - in fact Del Potro's popularity is probably on the same league as the current top 4 (bar Federer of course) despite not winning a big title for more than 3 years, which is why there's this perceived 'hype' around him.

Besides the fact that the ATP would never allow even the slighest risk of someone like Ferrer being the face of the sport in any way, he doesn't have the mentality required to dominate anyway (or the game), so it's a moot point.
How certain are you of saying that? Didn't court homogenisation start when all the big names still preferred quicker courts?
Chase Visa is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome