Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013? - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?
Djokovic 119 45.59%
Federer 14 5.36%
Murray 8 3.07%
Nadal 110 42.15%
Del Potro 10 3.83%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 343 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:50 AM
Registered User
 
Alex999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kanata
Posts: 11,581
                     
Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

RG 2013 will be probably the most interesting tournament of the year. So many questions, very few answers. Nadal is still a puzzle. Nole is a top contender (at the moment). Even bookies agree. Murray's game style suits clay well but has never performed very well on clay and he is prone to lose to lower ranked players on clay. Guys like Berdych, Tsonga, Ferrer can easily bother Muzza on clay.

Not sure about DP at all. he is a good clay player, but his general form is questionable IMO. he gets hot and cold from one match to another.

Fed is always dangerous and will be a strong candidate for the title, after Nole and Rafa. I still give him a slight edge over Murray on clay. I also think that many guys here underestimate Murray on clay. Yes, I know he hasn't done anything significant on clay but I believe that that just might change.

Ferrer might have a decent run but if when he runs into Djokovic, Nadal and Fed he will be done.

anyway, here is my little list of favorites for RG 2013:
1. Djokovic (for obvious reasons)
2. Nadal (still the King of Clay, but his knees/form are still questionable atm)
3. Federer (always good and consistent on any surface, very strong contender)
4. Murray (I expect him to start shining on clay, he has something to prove too)
5-7 toss up between Tsonga, Berdych, Ferrer
8. Del Potro (I just don't know which DP will show up, he is capable of getting deep here but I'm not too convinced)
9. Almagro (solid/strong clay player but mentally ... he has some work to do in that department)
10. Monfils (if healthy normal Gales shows up ... really not sure about this one as Gael's been struggling lately)

We'll have a much clearer picture after MC, Madrid and Rome. however, this is my 5 cents at this moment.
Alex999 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 343 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 04:02 AM
Registered User
 
viruzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 5,352
                     
Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

Soderling IMHO.

Ah, appeal moderation? Wanna know what appeal moderation did to me?
LOOK AT ME!
LOOK AT ME, BOY! THESE ARE THE SCARS OF APPEAL MODERATION!
Take a good long stare, you know you want to.
You're not even man enough to look at my face.

Appeal moderation isn't pretty, you have to watch your friends go to dust.
Appeal moderation is always hungry for your soul and sweet emotions.


First and once godly-worhispped appeal moderator.
(Actually 2nd)
viruzzz is offline  
post #153 of 343 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 04:08 AM
Registered User
 
Alex999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kanata
Posts: 11,581
                     
Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
Soderling IMHO.
All true tennis fans would love to see him back strong and healthy but it's not very likely to happen atm. What's happening with him? Is he getting better?
Alex999 is offline  
post #154 of 343 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,731
                     
Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
RG 2013 will be probably the most interesting tournament of the year. So many questions, very few answers. Nadal is still a puzzle. Nole is a top contender (at the moment). Even bookies agree. Murray's game style suits clay well but has never performed very well on clay and he is prone to lose to lower ranked players on clay. Guys like Berdych, Tsonga, Ferrer can easily bother Muzza on clay.

Not sure about DP at all. he is a good clay player, but his general form is questionable IMO. he gets hot and cold from one match to another.

Fed is always dangerous and will be a strong candidate for the title, after Nole and Rafa. I still give him a slight edge over Murray on clay. I also think that many guys here underestimate Murray on clay. Yes, I know he hasn't done anything significant on clay but I believe that that just might change.

Ferrer might have a decent run but if when he runs into Djokovic, Nadal and Fed he will be done.

anyway, here is my little list of favorites for RG 2013:
1. Djokovic (for obvious reasons)
2. Nadal (still the King of Clay, but his knees/form are still questionable atm)
3. Federer (always good and consistent on any surface, very strong contender)
4. Murray (I expect him to start shining on clay, he has something to prove too)
5-7 toss up between Tsonga, Berdych, Ferrer
8. Del Potro (I just don't know which DP will show up, he is capable of getting deep here but I'm not too convinced)
9. Almagro (solid/strong clay player but mentally ... he has some work to do in that department)
10. Monfils (if healthy normal Gales shows up ... really not sure about this one as Gael's been struggling lately)

We'll have a much clearer picture after MC, Madrid and Rome. however, this is my 5 cents at this moment.
Tsonga better than DelPo on clay???? That's news to me.

I would also put all of Berdych, Ferrer and DelPo ahead of Murray on this surface.
Cereal Killer is offline  
post #155 of 343 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 04:31 AM
Registered User
 
Alex999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kanata
Posts: 11,581
                     
Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lining View Post
Tsonga better than DelPo on clay???? That's news to me.

I would also put all of Berdych, Ferrer and DelPo ahead of Murray on this surface.
I'm not saying that Tsonga is better than DP on clay per se. It's just the way I feel about their respective forms at this moment. and it's also my feeling, so it's very subjective for sure. I mean DP is very good on clay, but somehow he seems to be vulnerable and not consistent enough. I hope he proves me wrong .

As for Murray and clay, I can see where you are coming from based on their previous results etc, but again I feel that Murray is capable of doing much better on clay this season. I'm just speculating (like everyone else I guess).
Alex999 is offline  
post #156 of 343 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 04:55 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,731
                     
Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
I'm not saying that Tsonga is better than DP on clay per se. It's just the way I feel about their respective forms at this moment. and it's also my feeling, so it's very subjective for sure. I mean DP is very good on clay, but somehow he seems to be vulnerable and not consistent enough. I hope he proves me wrong .

As for Murray and clay, I can see where you are coming from based on their previous results etc, but again I feel that Murray is capable of doing much better on clay this season. I'm just speculating (like everyone else I guess).
Tsonga has never made a final on clay. He hasn't even reached a SF since 2008 Monte Carlo (his only SF on clay to date). His best result has been a QF at RG last year...

We'll see, I guess.
Cereal Killer is offline  
post #157 of 343 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 05:07 AM
Registered User
 
Say Hey Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 565
                     
Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

I see the posts regarding the "favorite" and always laugh. The favorite of a tournament or match is not subjective. The favorite means who is the betting odds on favorite.


Djokovic is the favorite right now, at the time this was originally posted, Nadal was the favorite, but that changed immediately after he withdrew from Melbourne.
Say Hey Kid is offline  
post #158 of 343 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 AM
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 17,229
                     
Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
I'm not saying that Tsonga is better than DP on clay per se. It's just the way I feel about their respective forms at this moment. and it's also my feeling, so it's very subjective for sure. I mean DP is very good on clay, but somehow he seems to be vulnerable and not consistent enough. I hope he proves me wrong .

As for Murray and clay, I can see where you are coming from based on their previous results etc, but again I feel that Murray is capable of doing much better on clay this season. I'm just speculating (like everyone else I guess).
Unlike Tsonga, the king of consistency, right? His results this year prove it: AO - QF Rotterdam - R1 Marseille - W Dubai - R1. He's definitely not hot and cold

MTF games titles:

Suicide Tennis (5): Wimbledon 2014, World Tour Finals 2015, Madrid 2015, Kuala Lumpur 2014 and Metz 2015 - 1 Slam, 1 WTF, 1 Masters 1000, 2 ATP 250; 2 finals lost

Fill-in-the-Draw (3): US Open 2014, Rotterdam 2013 and Geneva 2015 - 1 Slam, 1 ATP 500 and 1 ATP 250

Tennis Tipping (3): Veneza and Todi 2014 (with vn01), Knoxville 2015 (with Redkop) - 3 challengers; 7 finals lost
Mark Lenders is offline  
post #159 of 343 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Age: 33
Posts: 1,707
                     
Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lining View Post
Tsonga better than DelPo on clay???? That's news to me.

I would also put all of Berdych, Ferrer and DelPo ahead of Murray on this surface.
n

Nadal will always be #1 favorite at RG until one of the top players is able to beat him there or AT LEAST take 2 sets off him. Hes playing 5 or 6 clay tournaments before RG. If that isnt perfect preparation i dont know what is

- djoko fed 50/50 because fed is playing absolute shit atm
- ferrer
- murray
- del po
- berdych
- tsonga
TennisPhan1 is offline  
post #160 of 343 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6,705
                     
Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

Everyone underestimates Federer as favourite because of his age.How is Novak more favourite than Fed? Even last year at Wimbledon Novak was favourite against Fed and what happened?!Fed has a lot of game and will be fresh after 7 weeks training/rest.He is an old fox.Now he is even more dangerous because he does not care for number one or those small tournaments.I do not think Djokovic is better on clay than Fed is,
IMO Fed did not like to play Nadal on clay because he knows it will cost my a lot of effort for nothing,Wimbledon is something else,He did not need 5 th set to defeat Novak and Murray.It depends of draw as well.
pepita1964 is online now  
post #161 of 343 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Age: 33
Posts: 1,707
                     
Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepita1964 View Post
Everyone underestimates Federer as favourite because of his age.How is Novak more favourite than Fed? Even last year at Wimbledon Novak was favourite against Fed and what happened?!Fed has a lot of game and will be fresh after 7 weeks training/rest.He is an old fox.Now he is even more dangerous because he does not care for number one or those small tournaments.I do not think Djokovic is better on clay than Fed is,
IMO Fed did not like to play Nadal on clay because he knows it will cost my a lot of effort for nothing,Wimbledon is something else,He did not need 5 th set to defeat Novak and Murray.It depends of draw as well.
I agree with you, but Novak proved he can beat Fed at RG. It was 3-0 but the match was closer than the scoreline suggests. Fed will always be favorite vs Novak on clay and grass, because his A game > Novak's A game. Djokovic always plays around the same level, very consistent high level. So, it's just a question if Goaterer will show up or not.
TennisPhan1 is offline  
post #162 of 343 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Registered User
 
Cosme Fulanito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,000
                     
Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

Gluten-free djoko must be the favourite right now
Cosme Fulanito is offline  
post #163 of 343 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 20
                     
Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

The only way Novak Djokovic can win Roland Garros is if someone does a Robin Soderling on Rafael Nadal.

Likewise, the only way Andy Murray can win Wimbledon is if someone does a Lukas Rosol on Rafael Nadal or a Tomas Berdych on Roger Federer.
MasterMind5991 is offline  
post #164 of 343 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Registered User
 
Alex999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kanata
Posts: 11,581
                     
Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMind5991 View Post
The only way Novak Djokovic can win Roland Garros is if someone does a Robin Soderling on Rafael Nadal.

Likewise, the only way Andy Murray can win Wimbledon is if someone does a Lukas Rosol on Rafael Nadal or a Tomas Berdych on Roger Federer.
nonsense, not true at all. empty comments like this mean nothing to me. Djokovic can win RG on his own just fine. Fed's chances of beating Nadal at RG, even half injured Nadal are not that good (not impossible but again let's be realistic here, it's not very likely). It's not 'just his age', it's an old match up issue, clay etc.

Murray can win Wibledon too without anybody's help. I'm not saying he will, but he can. I do agree that healthy Nadal is a worse match up for Murray than Fed btw.

Last edited by Alex999; 02-28-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Alex999 is offline  
post #165 of 343 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Registered User
 
LocoPorElTenis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,605
                     
Re: Who is the early favorite for Roland Garros 2013?

Easy question: Daniel Garza
LocoPorElTenis is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome