Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 12,934
                     
Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
OT: OP is 100% right ofc
i usually am.

abraxas21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Registered User
 
G.100sic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Age: 54
Posts: 1,252
                     
Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

No one can hope to be successful just attacking blindly, not preparing the "ground" properly before the attack.
Also, I believe that nobody in the right mind cannot say anymore that a return is not an aggressive shot (performed by a skillful player, of course).
G.100sic is online now  
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Registered User
 
nole_no1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Romania
Age: 22
Posts: 18,517
                     
Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

This thread is so original. Thank you OP
nole_no1 is offline  
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Registered User
 
Vinceremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 1,546
                     
Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

wow, a thread for this? This is as obvious as saying 'having an excellent serve doesn't necessarily mean hitting more aces than your rival'
Vinceremo is offline  
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 18,218
                     
Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
Many times I've seen on this forum people saying that player X was aggressive during a match because he hit more winners than player Y. I hold the view that this is a very simplistic logic, devoid of any real analysis, usually used by tards who don't understand the game.
Gasquet is probably the best example for your point. He can post large winner counts, with winners 2x errors, while camped on the back fence all match.
philosophicalarf is offline  
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Registered User
 
The Fearhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,236
                     
Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

And all of this has nothing to do with Andy hitting more winners.
The Fearhand is offline  
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,547
                     
Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

I always feel that you're not aggressive enough until you jump over the net a bash your opponent's head in with your racquet.
paseo is offline  
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 252
                     
Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliSter View Post
I love your tears.
Yes but you hate the truth..
Daeegu is offline  
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 35
Posts: 3,730
                     
Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by paseo View Post
I always feel that you're not aggressive enough until you jump over the net a bash your opponent's head in with your racquet.

Topspindoctor
You know you're an epic level mug if you get double bageled by Petzschner
madmax is offline  
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Registered User
 
syc23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 902
                     
Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

Cool story bro.

ANDY MURRAY 2013 WIMBLEDON CHAMPION, 2012 US OPEN CHAMPION and Olympic Gold Medallist
To all you haters: Get It Right Up You


syc23 is offline  
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Registered User
 
Branimir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 1,356
                     
Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

The goal of tennis game is to win. It's not to be more or less aggressive.

I don't like Nadal.
Branimir is offline  
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Registered User
 
BackhandDTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 5,096
                     
Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon20 View Post
And all of this has nothing to do with Andy hitting more winners.
Thread was made prior to that.


Also, everyone is saying it's obvious, but I see offenders of this on here all the time.
BackhandDTL is offline  
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Registered User
 
End da Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,523
                     
Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

yup, its like with trying to judge who's the better server purely on ace count

the amount of winners you get depend on who's on the other side of the court, if that player is a much better defender than you are, its obvious that they're going to have a much easier job getting a winner than you are
End da Game is offline  
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 12,934
                     
Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by paseo View Post
I always feel that you're not aggressive enough until you jump over the net a bash your opponent's head in with your racquet.
or your own head for that matter. youznhy, the russian warrior, is a good example.

abraxas21 is offline  
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Registered User
 
Mountaindewslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 12,111
                     
Re: Being aggressive doesnt necessarily mean hitting more winners than your rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
Many times I've seen on this forum people saying that player X was aggressive during a match because he hit more winners than player Y. I hold the view that this is a very simplistic logic, devoid of any real analysis, usually used by tards who don't understand the game.

Allow me to explain: While it is evidently usually the case that the more aggressive players make more winners, it's in some instances not the case at all. Especially not in today's era where the courts are slow allowing for long rallies. For example, let's imagine a defensive oriented player like Nadal or Djokovic. Both are able to sustain long rallies with consistency and both are able to counter-punch effectively. Thus, when they face a relatively offensive player, they are able to respond and cope well to a high amount of their offensive shots until they find a relative open place to pass him, especially if such "relatively offensive player" is aggressive enough to go to the net (in point of fact, adopting an aggressive stance like trying to volley a lot in today's conditions against those players could mean facing a lot of winners coming at you, in spite of your aggressive strategy!).

In conclusion, while the more aggressive player usually makes more winners, one can adopt a defensive stance (grind and counterpunch) and hit more winners than an offensive rival who likes to set the pace and aggression. It is for this reason that it is wrong to conclude that player X was more aggressive merely because he hit more winners.

Discuss.
I mean no offense OP but this is just an obvious observation. not surprisingly there are plenty of matches where the defensive player ends up with more winners just based on their opponent being out of shape / less physical / not getting to balls. but the reality is that if we make a general 'to be expected' rule, the aggressive player will hit more winners AS WELL as more unforced errors. there are exceptions clearly but obviously if a fit aggressive player is moving around the court well he's going to be going for his shots and either hitting winners or unforced errors so generally they do hit more winners than the defender. the defender his likely to have a low # of BOTH UE's AND winners because they're really leaving it to the aggressive opponent to dictate play, with the hope and objective that the aggressive opponent will be forced to hit errors rather than winners

it's certainly an observation OP, and not a surprising one that this happens sometimes. I will mention that sometimes players surprise me, for example last night Federer Vs. Murray, typically we think of Roger as more of an agressive player yet Andy was indeed playing much more attacking tennis than he typically does

<3 Roger Federer <3 David Ferrer <3 Juan Martin Del Potro <3 Ernest Gulbis <3

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome